Sketchbook: Jade's Sketchpad

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Jade's Sketchpad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jade's Sketchpad

After lurking here a bit (a couple hours over several weeks/months), it looks like the way to get started is more-or-less to post a sketchbook.... but before we get to that, I'll give a brief artistic bio.

I'm self-taught aside from the basics you'd learn in a High School art class... so I've had no figure drawing classes. I drew a lot in elementary school, but not-so-much in Jr high and high school (which caused me to lose a bit of my imagination-- I'm still recovering from its loss). I really did want to take art classes in college, when I randomly stumbled on an animator's art forum and was inspired to draw again. However, my engineering classes and working to pay the bills took up most of my time. I have improved a lot with figure drawings in that time, though I'm quite certain my anatomy still needs work.

Right now, I draw for hobby as I have free time. Mostly I draw others' role-play characters-- rarely, I'll draw something for myself. I attribute this to a recovering imagination... as my first pitfall is first thinking of WHAT to draw when I want to dip into the other hemisphere of my brain.

Being inquisitive, I am always looking for ways to improve. I've really grown to enjoy my "cartoon" style of drawing, but I'd like to bring more depth into my drawings... other than that, I'm just along for the ride.

One area I'd like to improve in is placing characters into interesting backgrounds. In the past, I've drawn either one or the other-- though lately, I've focused more on characters than backgrounds due to lack of time.

I DO like crit on my art (wouldn't be posting otherwise)... I wouldn't mind being mentored... but I'd really hate for someone to spend more than infrequent effort assisting me since I'm not as serious as some of the die-hard types out there.

So... that gives you a basic idea of my background....

Attached are some images I've generated over the past few years... I don't draw a lot, so I've pulled some things that are considered "old" by others' standards. If I've done this correctly, they're more-or-less in order of most recent to latest pieces.

I hope you enjoy.

~Jade

Attached Images Attached Images                
    Last edited by jadewik; June 10th, 2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's odd for me to say this is nearly a year's worth of art, but I only draw in my free time... and that's not a lot. Some of these are just quick sketches. Some of these are more lengthy drawings with colour (!)... and I'm well aware that the pirate's legs are wonky... I just don't have time to spend fixing it-- course, it doesn't help I'm not exactly certain "how" to fix it... I just know it's wrong. =(

The Spartan was Macaroni Grill paper tablecloth art. I did rip it out and take it home.

I do have a few art-related things I've been working on for Halloween I hope to attach photos at some point.

Enjoy-- crit is welcome-- please post solutions, not just problems. Thanks! =)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jadewik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a few more things... ya know, for kicks. Crits and comments welcome.

Thanks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jadewik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the posts! Some good ideas here.

I would suggest working on your lighting and shadows - a lot of your work looks flatter than it should because there is no lighting, or the lighting does not reflect a viable light source. You also might want to try doing a few sketches a day (or week) that focus stricly on anatomy and proportions... if you can, go and look at the library for a nice reference book and do some stufies. It can help iprove your work by leaps and bounds!

Keep at it, I know what it's like to only be able to draw in your spare time!

"...let a man walk alone, let him commit no sin, (let him do) with few wishes, like an elephant in the forest."

My humble sketchbook (updates sometimes!)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to frozenbean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha i love the gladiator in crayon on the table mat!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.