Suddenly unable to open PainterX

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Suddenly unable to open PainterX

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Suddenly unable to open PainterX

OK, so I'm making new patterns and digging things. The next time I try to open Painter X, it tells me that it is unable to open the file "Painter Papers.paper". It then closes itself down. I have completely reinstalled the program, but it still does the same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
    OK, so I'm making new patterns and digging things. The next time I try to open Painter X, it tells me that it is unable to open the file "Painter Papers.paper". It then closes itself down. I have completely reinstalled the program, but it still does the same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Sounds like your papers got corrupted or user file. Save a copy of that papers.papers file elsewhere.

You may want to save your user profile too. It should be in your application data/user/

Then, do a factory restore. To do this, hold the shift key as you launch Painter.

I am not sure if there is a way to carry bits of data between the factory default paper and the ones where you had custom ones, if you can do a comparison. I had to do this when my color management settings went out of control on my profile (and did the same thing you're getting) and I had to copy over information from my profile to restore various settings I had so I didn't lose all my profile information.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It may be too late now, but, in order to replace a corrupted Painter Papers.papers library file you don't need to either:
    • Reinstall Painter X, or
    • Reset Painter X to its installed state by holding down the Shift key while launching the program.

NOTE: Read through these instructions carefuly, to be sure you understand everything before starting.

To replace the corrupted Painter Papers.papers library file:

1. Go to the following Painter X application/program folder:

Mac - Applications > Corel Painter X > Resources

Windows - Program Files > Corel > Corel Painter X > Resources
    2. Highlight and copy the Painter Papers.papers file.

3. Go to the following Painter X User folder:

Mac - Users > [User Name] > Library > Application Support > Corel/Painter X > [Workspace Name]

Windows - Documents and Settings > [User Name] > Application Data > Corel > Painter IX > [Workspace Name]

4. Paste the copied Painter Papers.papers file (it will overwrite the existing Painter Papers.papers file in that Workspace).

5. Launch Painter X and your Painter Papers.papers library should be back in working order.

IMPORTANT: If you have more than one Workspace, and know that you have custom Papers in any of those Workspaces:

1. First back up the existing Painter Papers.papers files, each in a separate folder named to match the specific Workspace.

2. In the Painter X User folder, paste the copied Painter Papers.papers library file (from your Painter X application/program folder) into each Workspace.

3. Launch Painter X and test the backed up Painter Papers.papers library files by using the Paper Mover (Papers palette menu > Paper Mover) and opening them in the right panel. If they open as expected, they're probably not corrupted and you can narrow down in which Workspace the corrupted Painter Papers.papers library file was located.

4. Now in the appropriate Painter X User folder's Workspace folders, you should be able to restore the other custom Painter Papers.papers library files by going to each of the backup Workspace folders, copying the Painter Papers.papers library file, and pasting it into the matching name Painter X User folder's Workspace folder.

It's a bit complicated, but not hard to so. Just go slowly and it should turn out fine.

If you find it's just too complicated, simply paste the copied Painter Papers.papers file (from the Painter X application/program folder) into each Painter X User folder's Workspace and when you launch Painter X all of the Papers libraries should be working, even if you do lose some custom Papers.

Good luck!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Arshes, that's what I ended up doing (as I had already reinstalled Painter). I didn't lose much, though.

Jinny, you are an absolute gem and an incredibly precious resource for Painter users here. I thank you sincerely for all the advice you give here.

This is me being a little lazy, but is there a way to synchronize my two computers so that when I change my workspace (and add custom papers, patterns, and so forth) on one computer, I can easily propagate it to the other? I use a sync program for my reference and art files, but synchronizing the Painter X folder isn't doing anything for me. Now it seems I should also be sync-ing the user files in my documents folder. Will this work?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi dogfood (makes me miss having a dog)

Thanks for the words of appreciation. They're nice to hear (read).

I don't know anything about synchronizing computers so can't help with that.

You can Export your Workspace, put it on disk, then load it onto the other computer and Import it.

1. On the computer where you have the Workspace, use Window > Workspace > Customize Workspace

2. In the Customize Workspace dialog, first make sure the appropriate Workspace is selected, then click the Export Workspace button in the lower left corner, and save it to whatever folder you want.

3. Put the exported Workspace.PWS file on disk.

4. On the other computer, insert the disk.

5. Launch Painter and use Window > Workspace > Customize Workspace.

6. In the lower left corner of the Customize Workspace dialog box, click Import Workspace, navigate to the file, and click the Open button. Now your Workspace is on both computers, easy as pie.

If you're going to be updating the Workspace on the second computer every so often, you may need to go to your Painter X User folder (on the second computer) and move that Workspace outside of the Painter X User folders before Importing it again from the first computer.

The reason I say this is that it seems Painter X won't overwrite a Workspace with the same name. I just tried Importing a Watercolor Workspace I'd Exported a few months back. Since I already had it in Painter X, when I used Import Workspace, it placed a new Workspace named Watercolor1 so now I have Watercolor and Watercolor1. If I'd moved the original Watercolor Workspace out of the Painter X User folder, I think Painter would simply have placed the Watercolor Workspace without changing it's name to add a 1 at the end.

Confusing, eh?

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.