Sketchbook: Newman's Sketches, Studies and Doodles. - Page 3

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Am I getting any better?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definately! Keep at it!

0 0%
  • Somewhat. You should work harder!

2 100.00%
  • Not really...

0 0%
  • You should just give it up!

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

AAAAAHHHHHH *crashes*

well... It certainly has been a very long time since I posted anything here... it makes me sad, but I just havent been working on anything digital lately.. except what I will post.

I have been drawing in my personal sketchbook however. But it is about twice as large as my scanners scanning surface... I need a new scanner -.-;;

well... this is not finished, but its something ive been working on for the past few nights. I kinda think I need help with the fur, so anything anyone can think of will be much appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    *New Sketchbook* Come stop by :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm... sorry for taking such a break.. i feel really bad about it. I still make some time to sketch, but ive been working on my warhammer army alot. Though that is pretty much finished so I hope to be able to get rolling on doing more drawing again.

here are some things ive been working on over the past few nights. Crits are welcome and wanted, as always!

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another bear... this time in a party hat. crits please!

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    muscle studies, to get my anatomy better, and to work on some lighting..

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    space marine! ... WIP. crits please.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Space Marine seems a little short for a stormtrooper? But seriously, he's a bit squat and uh, fat? wide? for the proper Space Marine look. Those muscle studies are sweet though, good going. The bears and fairy are cute, especially the polar bear. Did you ever finish that ugly orangatang looking thing from the top of this page? That was looking well, mate. I'ld like to see it finished up.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is actually shorter and stubbier. I was going for that, just because I was kind of going for a more stylized version of one. Cartoonifying it a bit.

As for the orangatang thing... its about at the point I posted it at. I got caught up in other things... Ill go back to it... eventually lol.

Thanks for the comment man, it is appreceated.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update... and a unessesarry detail shot ><

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this will be the last update for the space marine pic. C&C as always please!

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a penguin thingie i did as a gift for a cousin for Christmas.... It might just be my imagination but I feel that I have improved on my lighting. Though I still need alot of work to be up to par.. Could this just be wishful thinking? let me know please.

oh and there are some hand studies here too..

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres a quick portrait type thing. 45 minutes

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres something I did for my sister-in-law for christmas. Kinda weird I know. but she likes weird things and cats... so i figured id do a weird cat.

Its starting to become disencouraging... if thats even a word.. to post here. I mean, I dont expect everyone to comment but, people only really seem to pay attention to people that ridiculously good and not to people who arent. Isnt the point of posting a sketchbook here to get critiques and such? I dunno. Its just starting to bother me a bit is all...

anyways. C&C is always welcome, hope you enjoy.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres a study of a skull. I really should invest in getting a fake one to draw from multiple angles, so I dont have to rely on pictures >< .

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick sketches. nothing spectacular. man I need some inspiration

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo dude. Your work show a lot of potential but you seem to be lacking on a few essential things. I'd highly recommend drawing a lot from life, seek out art studios nearby and see if they offer weekly life drawing sessions. Those help so much, my artistic IQ went way up after I started attending those. Also, do fuckload of anatomy studies. Do them daily. Check out Bridgman, Loomis and Schider. I hear Goldfinger is a good source as well (thats more for how muscle is attached to skeleton). Also, be careful with color. It's really hard. I'd suggest taking a step back and focusing on the basics: line work and tonal range (black, grays, white). The key ingredient to make all this work is discipline.

Alright dude. Take care, good luck and never let down.

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peetaer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, feed back lol. thanks Peetaer.

I actually I know what your talking about, the whole life drawing thing at least. My main problem with that is that I work nights, so my schedule is weird and its hard to find a place that I can work with. I have been trying to use pose maniacs a bit (http://www.posemaniacs.com) . I also try to do alot of drawing of my hands or from photo reference.

All that being said I dont think I draw enough from life. *sighs* I am easily distracted -.-;

an example of this is this next post... i cant believe that this is all I did last night at work.. But at least I did something ><

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gestures all 30 seconds or less.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    slightly longer... about 10 minutes for the side 2 about 5 for the one in the middle.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i guess i am making up for last nights lazyness with this morning. this time, a centaur.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its the centaur again, just more progress and i fixed his back legs a bit. Im starting to like him. Lemme know what you think.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Newman101

keep going - good stuff
    don´t detail too early - learn through loose sketching

greets
    kristo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hallo Kristo Novo, thanks for stopping by I do alot of random sketching actually. Most of it doesnt make it here. Although I do need to learn to stop going into too much detail when I start to paint. I tend to try to 'finish' details on a part before I lay the foundations for everything else.

Anyways, heres another update. Continuing to like it, so I'll keep going. Crits are welcome as always.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    something different. Scifi ish thing. It looks kinda like a Tau Stealth suit from Warhammer 40k... though that wasnt intended.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    an alien vs a beasty type thing. Diddnt spend too long on it. But I felt I needed to update so... here it is.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,083 Times in 846 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ye gods man have you LOST your MIND!?!

sorry. title got me.
    anyway, really like the centaur thing. your anatomy has definitively improved. now you need to look at the horse part
    the horses's chest muscles should form a bridge between the front legs. the 'frontal knee', which is a human's wrist should get more space. elongate it. and the fluffy stuff covering the hoves should end covering just about the whole hoove. don't foget the joint between the hove and the lower leg. the lowerleg part is actually a humans hand.. it ends in our first index bone which in the horse is a bone almost a long as the hove, but a lot thinner. our second and last finger bones make up the horse's hove.
    same thing in the back, wher the joint opposed to the 'front-knee' would be a humans heel.. like how its fleshing out though. ^^ show me an update!

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, thanks Ashess. I changed the title to be more interesting, so .. your reaction is sort of what I was going for lol.

I actually feel like Ive hit a wall with the centaur thing, hence why I have moved on for now. I'll probly go back to it soon though. i hope I do, because I like where its going.

As for what im working on now, this is ... well I dont know what this would be called. Im sure someone has a name for something like it but.. Its like a flying centaur of sorts. Im gonna try and look at some bird pictures to see if I cant make the wings right, but so far i think its coming out okay.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update on the flying horse guy. Im doing him in color just because Im getting kinda sick of black and white lol. you can see where Ive spent more time on him, but Im not finished with him yet! Crits welcome as always

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, been a bit too long since I posted something... I need motivation But heres something that I have updated... I actually hadnt worked on it since I first posted it >< lol. Its coming close, still a good ammount of work left to do.. I might try to add a bit of a background too. but I dont know yet. : \

Crit as always please!

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did alot of sketching in my actual book last night, still no scanner of camera though But, I will post what I did on the creature guy so you can see the progress. Its not much, but I think I did an okay job defining the fur on him. Just gotta do the paws and the hands.... and then Im thinking about traveling into the background >< lol. But I dont know what I would do for that.... Anyone got any suggestions?

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a bit of sketches I did with my tablet last night. and some work on the creature guy. Started on a background for him.

Crits are welcomed as always.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1