Am I on the right track?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Am I on the right track?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Am I on the right track?

Critique Please. Harshness encouraged.

I just want to see if this is worth finishing and if I'm on the right track. Anything you have to say is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that all there is to your whole composition? I would open it up a bit more if you can. You have some great rendering going on there. It's more patience than I have for graphite. The eyes are good. I bet your dreading shading that hair. Nothing is really pulling at my emotions by looking at this. A sense of longing for someone? You're doing fine with the shading, its overall post-render I'd be looking at.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, this is the whole composition, although I can see where one would be disappointed with it. I really should have included more of her body.
    Maybe once I finish it it will give off some emotion, although I was going for longing so I guess I should be happy I managed to get that across!

Thank you for being honest! I'll keep what you've said in mind and keep working on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like you're getting bored of drawing this in some places. Are you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your welcome. Think about how it'll look when you happen to frame it. I could see this feeling like the figure is cramped and suffocating, while longing for the hand which feeds (with love, lust, etc)

Whatever you do, just finish it. You'll still love it.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it looks good and it's worth finishing.

The part that bugs me the most is that her ear doesn't look right (more like a wheel cover).

The side of her ear closest to her eye is supposed to blend more with the side of her head and slightly angle out to the other end.

That and her fingers are a bit too thin and undefined and the nails are a bit too much on the fake side (too curvy and thin).

Don't try to add too much originality to it as her face and pose already looks original and nice as it is now, just finish it and do a good job of making it believable (using good refs) with lighting and texture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her left hand could use some work. Do a couple of hand studies in similar positions and you'll see that the way the fingers are positioned and angled is odd. Your fingers seem to be seperated starting where the hand itself bends, but there's actually a good bit of skin in between there.

I agree that the ear is weird. More reference!

The eyes are lovely. Keep it up and good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Linzoy View Post
    It looks like you're getting bored of drawing this in some places. Are you?
    Not bored really, more like I was nervous that I would kill it if I kept working on it in some places. If that makes any sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely progress so far.

Her clavicles are too thin and, where her left one joins the shoulder, too sharp.

"You there! Cake or death?"

Skunk's Sketches

Skunk's Pimpage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellynoel View Post
    Not bored really, more like I was nervous that I would kill it if I kept working on it in some places. If that makes any sense.
    Art looks a lot better when it's drawn confidently, so stop being afraid. It helps if you're genuinely confident, but I think acting confident is better than nothing. In your head you probably know what this is supposed to look like, but it's not getting across to the paper because you're avoiding the paper. You'll inevitably wreck some parts of the drawing if you keep changing them, but that's why you keep erasing until it looks good. If your paper can't handle that much erasing, you should buy some higher quality paper next time, or just do a bunch of small sketches until you're sure you have the right look.

Sorry if this sounds patronizing. I know this is pretty generic advice. I can recognize meekness in drawings because so many of mine end up too timid, and it's painful to watch other people make the same mistake.

Like others have said, the eyes look really nice. Everything else in the drawing should be drawn with the same attention you gave the eyes. You can't hope that the drawing will have emotion when it's finished, it has to have emotion right from the early stages. Correcting the anatomy is a good idea, but if you're not careful your art may end up looking like a powerless illustration from an anatomy book.

Last edited by •Lindsay•; November 26th, 2007 at 06:35 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.