Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: IDW #51: Sniper Rifle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #51: Sniper Rifle

Topic: Sniper Rifle

Background: With an exhausting round 50 just behind us, I hope there's still some energy left for round 51

The idea for this round is pretty simple: a sniper rifle. If you've ever played a shoot-em-up, you know what we're talking about. A rifle with a scope mounted on it. You zoom in on your target and with one shot you kill.

There are a few rules here though. Your final entry should consist of both a side view of the gun and a view as if you were the gunner holding the weapon. That is how you see the weapon in the game, so it should look good from that angle above all.

As for style, in most shooters you play either a human against aliens or the other way around, so don't limit yourself to only human army type guns. The rifle should fulfill the role of a sniper rifle, but can take on whatever form or shape you like.

Brief:
    1. Draw and design a sniper rifle.
    2. Your final entry should consist of both a side view of the gun and a first person perspective view, much like you would see it as in a game.
    3. Style could be human, alien or whatever else you can come up with

Deadline: Monday December 3 2007

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man I was thinking about take a week off to attend another business but I can't with this topic coming up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is really practical stuff here! i don't think i ever would have drawn a weapon in first person perspective view unless forced

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well if you wanted to work as a concept artist at a game company you probably would. lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_h View Post
    Well if you wanted to work as a concept artist at a game company you probably would. lol.
    thats exactly the point i was making! i just have never seen this as an activity, and heck, never even thought about it

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when you say first person view, do you mean as if when your character is running around but you can still see your hands holding the gun or when your actualy in sniper mode, looking through the actual scope itself?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grenogs: The first option. Otherwise, you wouldn't see much of the gun itself. A view where you look through the scope is actually a nice extra, so don't hesitate to put that in as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first-person view is a little intimidating, but I guess the point is to get out of our comfort zones eh?

For such an alluring topic though I'll try to give it a shot again, especially since I didn't have much time on the last one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is just an hour of off and on brain storming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some interesting ones among the lot, Legato! I'm looking forward to see what you narrow down on.

Yoitisi, quick question. Would a full-on, centered rear view work for the first-person view? Since sniper rifles are usually fired prone, it's close to what you'd see. And it's a bit less awkward than having to draw in hands, working out the slight angle, etc. You know, for those of us who are still perspective-challenged.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Legato - #6 and #9 seem to hold something special imo.

Always strive for perfection. You will never achieve it, but will learn so much more in the striving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Form2function-However, if you are trying to replicate a FPS view or how concept would be done to test the silouhette of a gun in that kind of game then the angle is all important...otherwise it won't read right in a game. I know it's tough but isn't part of this forum to challenge yourself and learn new things...especially new things that are industry standard. 2 cents.

B

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

pull a sniper rifle out of your butt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Form2function and actually all: Here are some examples of conceptdrawings for guns from various shoot-em-ups, including Gears of War and Unreal Tournament (I don't know the names of the artists, if someone knows tell us and I'll put them in this post). Hope they help, as they show what I expect of you to draw.

As an afterthought, I believe the first one is drawn on top of a 3d model, and the last one is a 3d model. If people feel the need to make a 3d model for this round I'm fine with that, but at least one of the 2 images (side or 3/4 view) must be an actual drawing and match the 3d model.

Edit: Apart from the Strogg gun, which was drawn by Arnie Swekel at Raven, all of these are drawn by James Hawkins at Epic Games. Thanks for providing the names, Epias and Brian h.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by yoitisi; November 28th, 2007 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in regards to using 3d, i think even i am going to use at least a limited form of block painting - just to get the perspective right in regards to the major features, but i too don't want to see final quality renders, don't really have a good reason why not however

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some random first thumbs, i know theres a lot of issues with these, such as simplified scopes, missing triggers, ergonomics, shape, volume and design... Just thought i would post em here, and if i dont get to finish a design over the weekend, i hope it may inspire someone to go in a particular direction... ;-)

A couple more...

Last edited by RandAlThor; November 28th, 2007 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more thumbs... think im gonna start fleshing out a new design based on 17... i found out that ideas came much more quickly when i broke out of a side view and went with a shallow angle... and... those epic concepts are so demoralizing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my own attempt from last week, which gave me the idea for this topic. Just sketch I made in some spare time. I might not have the time this week to come up with something I'm afraid, so this is all you're going to get from me

Apologies for the stupid big signature by the way, to lazy to erase it properly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yoitisi, thanks for the clarification. The 3D issue would have been my next question. Don't think I'll have the time to do a fully textured render, nor sure I'd want to, but I'll definitely need to do a rough blocking out to get the perspective right at that angle. Yours looks pretty good as well. But... It seems a little short for a rifle, no? Or was it just a handgun/carbine and it gave you the idea for the rifle? Either way thanks for sharing it even if you don't end up working on an entry.

Legato, 17 does look good. Can tell you like it most from the attention you paid to the sketch. It reminds me of the PAX stuff you did a while back, particularly the revolver cylinder. Always fun to revisit old ideas though.

RandAlThor there's some cool ideas in there. I hope you find the time to work on a final, I'd love to see what you end up with.

Last edited by form2function; November 28th, 2007 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Typos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice topic, since I've always been fond of military themes. Here are some more inspirations for all:

[traced Shirow Masamune for personal archive]

[Some chosen snipers from various FPS games]

reference served
    now back to work

22. The Following User Says Thank You to schunnin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by form2function View Post

Legato, 17 does look good. Can tell you like it most from the attention you paid to the sketch. It reminds me of the PAX stuff you did a while back, particularly the revolver cylinder. Always fun to revisit old ideas though.
    crap!!! i thought i could get away with my ever loved, but never used revolver sniper X_X

and the current version im working with has a much more appealing front (i ditched the bipod thing under the barrel and did some more mojo...

*EDIT* can side view mean... kinda side view?... like i have towards the end, where its perspective but at a really shallow angle?

**STEALTH EDIT 2**

heres the angle im talking about

Last edited by Legato; November 28th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    form2function: Yeah you're right, it's a little too short to actually work well as a sniper rifle. Then again, I started on that sheet with drawing boats, but I got frustrated and started drawing guns on top of my sketches. It wasn't meant to be all that serious, but it was merely the inspiration for this topic

Schunnin: Thanks for the extra inspiration

Legato: Although to show a design best a perspective drawing is often preferable, sometimes it is needed to do a specific view of a subject to give someone who has to work from your drawing more clues regarding measurements and proportions. I specifically asked for a sideview for this reason. Also, drawing such a sideview has is own difficulties (how to draw a cilinder so people still see it's a cilinder, etc). Shading and toning are important tools to make a sideview more 3d. So to answer your question I'd have to say no

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the interest of full disclosure...and much need respect...the Strogg gun above was designed and drawn by Arnie Swekel at Raven...the rest were James Hawkins at Epic.

B

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

btw schunnin, thanks for those pictures! the concept art for the weapons in killzone has always been something i could look at forever

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, this actually sounds like something worthwhile (and something I might actually be able to do a decent job on). I've never done a first person perspective work before but I can post some concept stuff for general inspirational purposes

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres what i got so far, hopefully i can finish this one, anyway its basicly something i thought might be suitable for a similer character i'm doing for this weeks chow. modern yet primetive, in a similer way to the harpoon gun used in the aliens vs predator games. Only this version will have 2 spear like projectiles connected to each other, so acting like a slicing weapon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff there Grenogs! So the two spears have some sort of blade or thin razor-sharp wire between them, and that's what slices?

I definitely like it, particularly the simplicity of the design. I was thinking of taking the crossbow-type approach as well originally, but I'm glad I didn't. You're doing it more justice than I would.

Edit: Afterthought. If that's the case and they're connected with the cutting part, then I would suggest setting them on a slight arc instead of running parallel. So that once projected they travel a bit from each other and the target doesn't have to fit between that little narrow part between them. Right now you'd have to pretty much target the neck or appendage to use the slice part of it. Unless I'm completely off my mark on how it works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah the design of the spears aren't totally worked out, i was thinking as its supose to be for a game, then the reality of the mechanics dont realy need to come into it, becouse in games anything posible. But otherwise i was thinking the projectile at moment is at birds eye view, so basicly the the 2 spear parts would fit into two runners, much in a similer way a train does on tracks, the slicing part would probably be a flat piece of metal, which at the same time would also act as a connection bit in a similer way to how a bolt is connected and fired from a crossbow. Though im thinking unlike a crossbow, this weapon would probably use a form of compressed gas technology for a much higher power. My other major problem if this was for a realistic weapon is, how do i stop a reasonably flat projectile from spinning uncontrolably.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Disclaimer: Forgive me if I'm stepping on toes or breaking protocol or anything. I know many, myself included, usually prefer to work out issues on their own. But since the idea is to offer crit, feedback, and ideas to help each other out, I don't think I'm off the mark.

Now then. Since a picture's worth a thousand words, below is what I mean about the width. How wide you make it is completely subjective, as is making it at all, but I wanted to illustrate the point. If they were just piercing, it wouldn't matter. But for the blade to be of any practical use, it needs to be long enough to cover some meat.

Quote Originally Posted by grenogs View Post
    My other major problem if this was for a realistic weapon is, how do i stop a reasonably flat projectile from spinning uncontrolably.
    Not exactly an aerodynamics major, but I believe it's a combination of propulsion and surface. You'd need enough flat surface with some slight volume to give it flow and then enough propulsion to push it in a linear direction. Spin is mainly controlled by the shape. I sketched a few simple ideas of what I mean, just to illustrate the point. The main thing you have to work with is that middle blade, since the spears have little to no surface volume unless you flatten them out (as I did in the first two sketches).

Anyway. I hope this helps and gives you some ideas. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Now back to working on mine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1