IDW #50: IDW Avatar - Maintenance Droid - Voting!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for the new IDW Avatar!

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • [void]

1 1.39%
  • ScaryPotato

0 0%
  • Daveneale

0 0%
  • Spitch

5 6.94%
  • D-Holme

0 0%
  • RhandAlThor

0 0%
  • hallo

5 6.94%
  • brian h

10 13.89%
  • ATAnderson

5 6.94%
  • Kreator

13 18.06%
  • collinsully

3 4.17%
  • cowboy surfer

0 0%
  • Hideyoshi

3 4.17%
  • Legato

1 1.39%
  • baby-bel

0 0%
  • form2function

1 1.39%
  • Zutaiola

9 12.50%
  • Muleskinner

0 0%
  • yoitisi

16 22.22%
  • Adi

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts

Icon IDW #50: IDW Avatar - Maintenance Droid - Voting!

IDW #50 Topic: IDW Avatar - Maintenance Droid

Deadline for voting: Tuesday, December 4 2007

No voting for your own entries!
    Also remember, whatever you vote for now will be the new IDW avatar for some time.

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #50: IDW Avatar - Maintenance Droid

Last edited by yoitisi; November 26th, 2007 at 03:19 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: [void]

Artist: ScaryPotato

Artist: Daveneale

Artist: Spitch

IDW CompuFix Droid
    The IDW CompuFix Droid is the ultimate solution for most CA users.
    No more HD crash, low memory problems, dead links, WhereTheF*IsThePoll crisis...
    This one and half foot tall robot is the solution you always needed.
    Don't hesitate and order it from your local CA administrator.

Artist: D-Holme

Artist: RhandAlThor

Artist: hallo

Artist: brian h

Artist: ATAnderson

Artist: Kreator

Thanks

Artist: collinsully

L.E.F.A.N.T.
    The L.E.F.A.N.T. is a state of the art, fully-automated, heavy load lifting, and nanometre precise welding droid.

Artist: cowboy surfer

Artist: Hideyoshi

Artist: Legato

Artist: baby-bel

Artist: form2function

Artist: Zutaiola

Artist: Muleskinner

Artist: yoitisi

Artist: Adi

Last edited by yoitisi; November 25th, 2007 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks
    Allright, first of: this is actually a record round. 20 pieces of art made it to poll, which is a first for IDW (I've checked ) Gratz to all participants, hope to see all of you in future rounds as well.

Some other notes:

Schunnin: Pity you didn't finish something, there were some nice ideas among your sketches.

[void]: I wasn't sure whether I should take yours to poll as it looked like a WIP to me, but I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Daveneale: Also, benefit of the doubt. You said you'd work on it but it appears you didn't. Still, I took yours to poll.

Sundance: It looked like it could've used a bit more love, and seeing you're busy with reviving 3CH I guess there was no followup version. Good luck with 3CH though.

PianoForte: WIP...

Grenogs: WIP...less talk and more drawing perhaps

Penabled: I nearly missed it because of it's size, but after seeing it I think you could've spend some more time on it. It is a bit blurry.

redFIVE: Yeah, uhm, what is it actually? I couldn't really tell, I'm sorry.

Well, that's it. Now sit back, relax, check out all entries and vote for the new avatar

Last edited by yoitisi; November 25th, 2007 at 06:53 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The hardest part is just getting all the names up here in a list and bold! get ready for some mad comma action - and lots of errors due to lack of proof read!

Kreator

When I saw this one first up my eyes were immediatly drawn to the warmth going through it. The core, and the head are spot on in terms of design and render, however it loses its design cohesion for me once you get to the legs, hips, and left forearm (his left arm seems good to me!) great dirty rendering however! And the colors are really inviting!

ATAnderson

A strong entry as usual - I actually drew some inspiration from your sparks - as I’ve never actually welded anything - now, onto your picture! I personally think the strongest part of the figure is the body, neck and head. I do however really like the arms, however allot of the joints and actuators are a bit vague as to how they actually move the arms about, but its not too distracting. I’d say the weakest part of the droid is his back legs. They seem adept at maybe bolting themselves into something and providing a work surface, however they don’t seem too practical for any movement other than on a flat surface - which isn’t necessarily bad, just my observation.

brian h

Great dynamic pose first and foremost! I already mentioned that I was a fan of the CAT paint job and branding. Its kinda of a mixup seeing such a over the top design mixed with something known for usually being large and blocky, however thats not a big problem. Design wise the biggest problem I see personally is how segmented it is. From a practicality standpoint, this has many of the advantages that my squid has, with the many arms, however that top part just seems like too much of a separate piece to me. (im really just nitpicking)

hallo

First and foremost, don’t get too hung up on my companion cube comment! And also - im really glad you took the hand out, this works just fine without it! From a concept perspective, I really like the idea of having just little cubes or briefcases laying around that turn into repair droids when needed. I would have like to seen some longer arms, to help it break out of the stigma that being a cube creates, but I am taking this to far - into a completely different style I suspect

RhandAlThor

This is kind of a mix of technical styles. Part of it is round and organic while the exposed mechanical bits (mainly his neck) are blocky and simplistic. All in all its just a bit too simplistic for my likes, with very few rendered areas that convey any additional detail.

d-holme

Crotch compartment aside, I really like how serious this piece is! However I think the background is just confusing enough to be distracting, I really like the mix of exposed and covered components and the reversed leg chicken thing going on - however those and the feet seem a bit too anemic to lift up the guy’s heft.

spitch

I really enjoyed your take on what was essentially a cut and dried case. Instead of going the industrial route you took it as a maintenance bot to a computer user. Its such a simplistic shape, its rather hard to critique form a design point, although my gut says the asymmetrical eyes take it the wrong direction. Would have also been nice to have a mountain dew tube somewhere on there

Daveneale

Well, I don’t what to say about this one. It could seriously be abstract if it wasn’t for the write up :/ showing it in a static position really makes it hard to see what is ‘up and down’ sort of speak. There is nothing ‘wrong’ with the render, its just so hard to read!

ScaryPotato

Im really glad you settled on this version… a few of your wips I felt were taking it in the wrong direction in terms of contrast and lighting, but combined with the ‘scene’ you have it in it really works well! I also love the rather iconic style you decided to go with, however in that respect I would have like to see less claw-like legs and maybe gone with a more traditional foot-cup thing going!

[void]

This critique is almost opposite of the other ones I have been giving design wise. What you have here appears to me as a giant 4 legged walker… however I don’t see any elements of being actively involved in any sort of repair work - maybe if you would have added in a bunch of small little arms or something, or maybe showed that his feet could grab stuff and work with small parts, however as it stands, you have a really sharp and original looking robot, but nothing specialized beyond that.

Adi

My first read really gives me the impression that this is a person in a robotic suit. The only thing indicative of having anything to do with repair work is the hand, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, however with 90%+ of the concept being nondescript in regards to such a task, its kind of hard shifting that frame of mind over with just a giant claw hand. As is standard from you the render is spot on, but design wise I think you could have pushed it just a little further.

yoitisi

Ugh… I saw this one and basically went game over. Ever since I visited and talked with a few artist at valve I’ve been so gung-ho to work with color, I’ve been blindly charging down the whole ‘super refined no lines’ thing, but your work keeps all the lines I love sketching out, while still giving it a light render that destroys such lines when I go all the way. Also, as detailed in my self-critique, your method for layering is something im really going to try out! Really the only critique I can give you is its kinda weird seeing an animal design as an idw avatar… but than again I modeled mine after a squid! Everything is just so spot on, this is where my vote is going.

Muleskinner

As a preface, im rather biased against this fantastic style you have here. But I’ll try to give it a good perspective! First off, in terms of repair-related concepting, you defiantly have all the pieces of the puzzle in terms of lots of arms and attachments that do everything. That said, allot of it looks too superfluous, starting with the main cord holding up the big mass of stuff. Right now I really have no idea what those beige things coming off the top and bottom are, right now it looks really two-dimensional up there, which is a shame because even without a shadow or simple plane the feet really have a good sense of depth, but being as small as they are, its really just gang-raped by the massive flat looking upper tubing. Also, there might be some perspective issues with third ‘speaker’ thing, with that angle, im not sure you could see as much of it as you are showing. Anyway, take this all with a grain of salt - my eyes are trained more towards a realistic look, not the retro-scifi X_X

Zutaiola

EVERY time I look at this I think its a 3d render… I have seriously been speechless as I’ve seen it come together. And the extra arms look so well grounded in reality, and yet I’ve never seen anything like them before. The design is only weaker simply because the render is so strong, however the perspective is really compressed, and its really just that that puts yoitisi’s ahead. There is nothing wrong with your perspective, its just that the one you chose really brings the form into a small ball, and in this case I think using a view more based from the side would better demonstrate how all the wheels and body fit together!… but seriously man… such a tight render.

form2function

I love how simple you made the upper half, and how complicated you made the bottom half! And the balance of those two halves really works well. I am pretty confused about the “toolset rotation bow” as I don’t see where it is used on the actual droid. Also, it seems to have a million little arms, so im not sure how a modular tool system could be beneficial when you already have enough arms for each tool by themselves. I also like the slight change in venue. Rather than strapping on armor panels or fixing space-ships, this looks at home in giant data centers, checking currents and routing cables around burned out cores!

baby-bel

This is really similar to hallo’s in that it compresses to a different shape. The main difference of course being that this goes into a oval while hallo’s turns into a cube. Additionally, it didn't’ take too much of a stretch to see how hallo’s bot did it. This however is giving me some trouble. I see how the legs fold up (even though im not sure what purpose that fabric strip serves) and I can kinda get the impression that the arm hubs extend out, however the pop-up head doesn’t look like it has anywhere to fold, and thickness of the body doesn’t seem like it could fit the contour that you show it can collapse into. To remedy this, you could have shown a quick cut-away for the front view and allot of the ambiguity could easily have been wrapped up for me!

Myself

This is gonna be a long one… (maybe)

First off, its really odd and almost disheartening to have so much positive critique on a concept and render which took so little time! I always tend to get wrapped up in really complex things and get attached to them. and to have something that was essentially fit between the butt cheek of the holidays and classes ending getting so much positive affirmation like I said, is rather disconcerting! Regardless, all your wip comments and ideas really helped allot. While the form was done, most of the drama consisted of the rendering, and color. Ultimately yoitisi’s suggestions to do the black and white tonal layer as a multiply and color below it was quite fantastic. And even on future projects where hopefully time management doesn’t plague me, I still want to head down this path and see what its limitations are!

As for inspiration, I gotta give props to cowboy surfer when I saw what he did with an animal design, for some reason I decided to adapt an animal as well. I don’t think I was necessarily inspired by the hummingbird’s ‘tentacle’ feathers, however im not sure why my mind jumped to squid! I tried keeping it as far away from the matrix’s squids as possible, including the use of ridged tentacles. I wanted to keep the squid’s two main tentacles as primary forms of movement, however I had trouble fitting on the additional 8 needed for completion. Ultimately I scratched the last two, and gave him two small forward facing eyes. It was mentioned that I should really pimp the eyes to add character, and if I would have gone about it differently I would have. In regard to the eyes however, other than the two large ones on each side of the head, and the two forward facing ones, there are also small cameras on each major joint for the legs, and while allot of them were kinda quickly rendered over, you can still see a few.

Lastly, the idea to include the pedestal and light up letters seen in the link below the wips un-intentionally screwed up the legs perspective… so at the last minute when I found out I had to break its knee caps and quickly add new ones in which were oriented in the proper position.

Hideyoshi

Seeing how busy you were on DA, I wasn’t sure if you would make it in with this, but I am very glad you did! The praying mantis motif really comes through without going over the top, and while I question the usefulness of those pincher arms in relation to maintenance work, all the other pieces are there. Im sure the simple render was in relation to time, however it works well, and doesn’t leave any questions in regards to form and shape.

cowboy surfer

As mentioned in my self-critique, It was coming down to the wire on time, and I hadn’t started storyboarding yet. I really needed to waste as little time as possible on figure out what I would do, and when I saw your animal-inspire design, my mind just jumped to using that as my direction. I knew the ability to manipulate many small things was going to be a fairly major design element, so I went with squid, but I can see you have confronted that problem in a similar way! Also, the implied ability to hover and the lubricant pump really paint a mental image of a swarm of these things zipping back and forth on a much bigger structure keeping everything monitored and ready to go!

collinsully

Last but not least! The giant lefant!
    I really like the mixed look of panel work, but right off the bat my eyes catch on a few elements such as major joints that don’t seem to limit movement to a fairly large extent! That being said, I love the head and opened area there, I wish there was that much open structure around the hips/thighs and thigh/knees however. In regards to its ability to repair things, I kinda get the glass panel, but im not sure what the laser is for… than again, I have no concept of what a nano-metre tech is… so my failure probably resides there

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Legato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Happy to see such level of participation, as well as to be a part of it. I've lurked on all the past IDW's for a long time now (as evident by my registration date), but I always had some excuse not to take part. Time was a big one, but I think on some level I was always a bit intimidated by the quality of the work produced. I guess at some point you just have to bite the bullet and jump in, eh?

Enough babbling though, here's my crit and commentary. I'll try to cover everyone since I didn't get a chance to in the thread.

[void]: Cool concept on the scale of the droid/mecha and the human controlling it, and a beautiful execution as well. The lack of color might make it seem incomplete to some, but personally I've always appreciated a greyscale palette and it gives your piece a very noir feel, which the hard shadows accent.

ScaryPotato: Fun retro design! It's a bit of a break from the usual styles I see posted, which is refreshing. The only crit I have is that the palette feels a bit muddy. That's probably intentional and purely subjective, but I'd probably bond more with it with more saturated and/or cleaner hues.

Daveneale: Stunning. The organic shapes are complimented nicely by your smooth color blends and your choice of colors is unique and gives me a feeling of serenity. I love the baloon in particular. The geometric background also sets of the organic design nicely. I have no crit beyond that but I hope I reach your level of painting ability some day.

Spitch: Definitely one of my favorites among the group. Your droid is simple, cheerful and playful, and very nicely painted. My only crit is that I'm not quite sure how I feel about how the head relates to the body. It seems to sit pretty far ahead, in a weird position. I would love to see some sort of neck exposed, or a side view that explains how the head is attached to the body. Beyond that it's simply perfect.

D-Holme: Interesting composition. I like the level of detail on the neck area, specifically. However it leaves me a little confused on how the "tail" and "base" parts relate to the body, if they do at all. It also has a slight combat droid feel to it, though I think you balanced that out somewhat with the loose cables and "pouch" on the torso.

RhandAlThor: Unique design and very well painted at that. It almost looks like a creature more than a droid, by the neck and wheels break that up nicely. I'm always a little weary of vertical designs that rely on just two wheels, but this guy looks like he can balance himself well enough. The only crit I can spot is that I'd like to see the wrench a bit more defined, as you did with the droid and toolbox. It sticks out a bit due to the attention you paid to the rest of the image. If nothing else a stronger outline would make it look less blurry.

hallo: I love the concept. It actually reminded me of these mineral rock transformer-type robots I used to play with as a kid, which I hadn't thought about in over a decade. So thanks for that one. I like the factory line-up behind him as it really gives an indication of scale and purpose. The presentation is very professional as well. If I was to nitpick I'd say two things. The neck could be a little darker so that the head doesn't look like it's floating, though I do get that there's a glow from within. And the top edge and right corner of the handlebar look a little weird. It could just be an image artifact, but it looks like a section there was sliced off. Maybe an accidental casualty of cropping.

brian h: Very cool and futuristic design. Separating the two sections the way you did is pretty unique and it works well. The render is also well done and I like the touch of the headlights being lit. It adds to the action feel of the pose. I also like that you tied it into reality via branding, and followed through the idea into the design instead of just slapping it on the name or with only a label. My only suggestion would be that a slightly darker background would set off the headlights more, as they get a little lost against the white. Which is a shame since they're a great touch.

ATAnderson
    : It's a cool design, and also unique as many others in the poll are. The shading really does it justice, and the action pose is great. You definitely have some serious skill there. That uh... "third leg" looks a bit odd out of focus since it's the only thing that way, but it's not that noticeable. Nothing else I can really add though, other than that it's excellent.

Kreator: My first thought when I saw it was "Wow...", after which my jaw dropped. It's definitely my favorite of them all, and it has my vote as well. I absolutely love the colors and textures on this bad boy, though I also generally love that particular palette. Honestly it's one of my favorite designs I've seen in a long time and I see a lot daily. The style, the design and expression, the color, the lightning, the texture... All amazing and perfect. I could go on about it quite a bit, so I'll just leave it at that. I'd love to see more of your work though. If you have an online portfolio please share it with us or PM me a link.

collinsully: I always love to see how others interpret nature and animals in their designs, and this is definitely a fun example of it. I like the design as well as the painting, though it's also one of those cases where I feel a darker background would do the image more justice. You did a great job of painting the white shell though, especially on the highlights. The right laser arm contrasts a bit against the rest of the design for me, due to its angular shapes against all those smooth curves. But that's entirely subjective.

cowboy surfer: Unique concept and elegant execution. Again, it's also interesting to see other's takes on mechanimals (did I just coin that term?). The drawing is very well done, though the coloring doesn't do it full justice for me. The colors themselves are beautiful, but the application makes the design seem very hazy and you loose some of those little details you put some much effort into. The pale yellow against the white also adds to that, but I've said this for others as well. Guess we can blame yoitisi's request for some of that, eh?

Hideyoshi: Technically speaking I think it's excellent. You really nailed down all the details nicely and your drawing skills are obviously good. However it also seems very combat oriented and ready to rip something apart, which starts to depart from the theme a bit. But it's still a very cool design and execution.

Legato: I'm glad you decided to add some color to it, though I also liked the b&w version as well. The combination of the design and pose make me think more of Matrix sentinels slicing through a hull, but then again considering what my own submission looks like who am I to talk (while writing this I read your own comment though and I'm glad to see you realized it as well and purposefully tried to avoid it). It's definitely a great design, and I really like the dynamic pose you placed it in. The panel from the surface being held on to is a great touch.

baby-bel: That's one funky droid, that's for sure! I like that you thought about how it assembles to it's shell and included that in the design. It's very playful bit it also has something alien about it. The blue markings add to that feel as well. Very nice job.

Zutaiola: It was great to see the progression on this one. I'll be honest that I had my doubts about it on the early sketches, but seeing it fleshed out definitely changed my mind. The addition of the arms improved it ten-fold, and it adds a lot more character to the droid as well. They also help take the combat edge off it, since you can see all the different utility tools it carries. You have some very realistic lighting and texturing going on, to the point where in the early phases it almost looked like parts of it were 3D rendered. And that's definitely a compliment. Your lighting is definitely a cut above the rest and adds a lot to the piece. Don't have much else to say, except to add that I love the little buzzer flying behind the main droid. Adds even more to its character.

Muleskinner: Another really funky design. In a good way. Definitely very unique in concept and a nice mix of organic and mechanical aspects. I particularly like your painting of the metal parts. The only thing I would add is a bit of shadow under the CA letters to ground them on the field. Even if they're suspended off the ground, a little shadow would help indicate that like you did with the feet. Good job though, definitely.

yoitisi: Very interesting. If a mechanical centaur has been done before, I can't say I've ever seen it. It's an interesting take on the subject. I like how you carried the quad theme across the design, through the legs, arms, and eyes. That sort of balance doesn't always get noticed, but it tends to jump out at me. The drawing is great, as it as the coloring. Honestly I can't add any crit to it, as you seem to have covered everything quite nicely.

Adi: Last but not least, yours is my second favorite from the lot, after Kreator's piece. If it wasn't for his submission yours would have my vote. The design is super slick and clean, the painting smooth, and the colors perfect. I really like the geometric patterns throughout, particularly since you still pulled off a good female representation with them. By nature angular geometry tends to conflict with the female figure, but in your piece it really works. She seems a bit of a warrior due to the armor and mean-looking appendage, but there's still something engineer-like about her. All in all a very beautiful submission and I hope to see more of your work in the future.

*whew*

That about does it. I might post a bit about my own piece after I get some sleep. And once I do I think I'll also make an avatar of my little guy, as he's grown on me these past two days.

Great job everyone, and I'll hopefully see you all in the next round!

PS: Legato, you're quite right about the toolset being confusing. I had made a layer with a call-out and brief description but it got lost in the rush to submit the final. I updated the image with the correct layer now, just so it at least makes sense to those looking at it. The design is identical so hopefully no one will object to a sentence of text. I just didn't want anyone else confused, or I'd leave it as it was. But I can always change it back if it's an issue.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to form2function For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Legato: I deleted your vote as you requested, but as I do not have the power to vote for you, you'll have to vote again . Damn scarry business, deleting votes. Feels like messing with the results.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    Legato: I deleted your vote as you requested, but as I do not have the power to vote for you, you'll have to vote again . Damn scarry business, deleting votes. Feels like messing with the results.
    thats alright, its saying i've already voted anyway... if it really does get down to one vote, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it

Thanks
    yoitisi: Yeah sorry bout that, work has really piled a mile high on me this month, I really wanted to get back to it but fitting it round the 16hr days ended up being a lil too much...I may go back to it when I have a bit of time.

As for your design: I really dig the extures and the shadows, I wish I had your tallent for design and detail, I especially like the hand/wrench area.

ATAnderson....just wow, not only are the colours sweet and the posing very cool, but it's just a kick-ass design, this really has the "wow" factor for me....all except the type you used (which i think detracts a little from the piece...I'd have gone for something more subtle...maybe a lighter grey font, or less prominent placement), you got my vote.

Legato: Agreed

And as for yours: I love the render of the actual droid, though its a shame you didnt pay more attention to the background...It also may have helped to put it into perspective more, the parallels of the front/back of the main body make it sit a little less well in the space

Form2function: Cheers dude, I'm still learning but I'm glad you like it:

I thought your colour choices were nice, very clinical, and the shape is cool, (I especially like the overview cut away), I think it would have been nice to see more detailing/components though.

Dont have time to crit em all, but there are some sweet entries

14. The Following User Says Thank You to daveneale For This Useful Post:

somewhere between the fridge and the sofa
    Thanks
    Voted for Kreator's entry. In my opinion, the most Brief-fitting-take in the thread.
    It's got a distinctive head, usable as an avatar, and a cool "twisted Jules Vernes" style, that depicts to me what IDW must be.
    Looking at this bot, I feel a background, that it lives in a coherent but most of all, an original universe.
    Great job !
    (Kreator : I hate you and your kind... You make me feel like I'm thinking so much " inside the f***ing box" !)

Thanks

Thanks
    Uhm yeah, brian h, voting for yourself is not allowed. Please tell me who you want your vote to go to and as soon as I've found out how to shift votes properly I'll change it.

Thanks
    I voted for yoitisi. I love the sketchiness of your piece, and the straight-forward nature of the design. Those look like ink lines, I think you said something about your process in the other post? Anyways, I likey Props to everybody here, really nice designs.

Thanks
    [void] - Great shapes and render, but as mentioned before, felt it lacked an ability to maintain anything.
    ScaryPotato - Liking the retro feel. As above, not sure how he could maintain anything with pincer hands.
    Daveneale - Highly original design, i liked it very much. Just a feel of the top appendage not being needed. (IMO of course).
    Spitch - Loverly render, but it reminded me too much of those 80's drink serving robots.
    D-Holme - Very 'star wars -esque' droid design (a very good thing in my book). Feel the render lets it down somewhat... very muddy colours. Leg anatomy looks a bit off as well.
    RhandAlThor - My favorite part is the head.. well rendered and designed. The rest of the droid looks a bit off though, especially the far leg which seems broken.
    hallo - Love the cube idea, easily stakable, practical, realistic. Nice render, but feel it looks limited to only being able to do a bit of soldering... maybe that's the idea?
    brian h - I have been trying to judge this based on a droid that 'could' exist. For me I think yours fits that best. A power source, many maintenance parts, robust, simple shapes. The CAT colour sceme really suited it to... you got my vote.
    ATAnderson - As has been said before, good job with the welding. The driod felt a bit front heavy, nice colours, limited fix-it options.
    Kreator - Very steampunk. Liked it a lot. Patricularly the coal fired chest, very well captured. Kept from the win for me for a lack of practicality, just couldnt see a company making them.
    collinsully - Really like your colour sceme, and the little details like the colour change on the edges of the glass pane, and the suction cups. It was just too limited in its movement from the shape we could see to be an effective droid.
    Hideyoshi - Great drawing, colour sceme, and render. A believable droid, just not for maintenance, imo.
    Legato - Well done for the colour at the end. Gotta love the squid inspiration. Really believable droid, bit too simple colourations... glad you got the 'flitty' nature of my design, you pretty much descibed exactly what i had in my headwhen i came up with it!
    baby-bel - Cute idea but cant see the practical side.
    form2function - Like the simlicity of design, good colours, doesnt seem to be any area for the 'hover' gear though.
    Zutaiola - As has been said you have done an awesome render. He looks like he has all the possible jobs covered. Feel his cutsiness takes away from practicalities, he reminds me of Jonny5 from the short ciciut films.
    Muleskinner - An unusual take, cant quite decide what i think... doesnt seem like it could move very well, but if it had a conveyor belt going underneath could be convincing. Nice and original though.
    yoitisi - Really like your style of line and colour, and the centaur is very original. The reason you didnt get my vote was the belivable factor. In another world, maybe, in the future of ours, probably not.
    Adi - Beautiful render, and she would make a great cyborg. Just dont get a maintenance/repair feel from the design.

Well there's my opinions, i honestly hope to offend no-one and only offer constructive criticism. Thanks to all those who have taken the time to offer my design the benefit or their opinion.

Always strive for perfection. You will never achieve it, but will learn so much more in the striving.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cowboy surfer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Legato: I found out the way to change the vote. It is what I did before, only I think it's kind of a crude way to do it so I wasn't sure whether I did it right. Your name won't appear in the poll now, it's only changing the number of votes.

Thanks
    idw 50:

90% more turnout
    90% fewer critique posts

Thanks
    Hey! firts of all and most important I think, thanks a lot for all the comments during this hole 50 round. Some of them have helped me quite a lot.

I was thinking about voting for brian-h but I see there is still being the vote for himself. I'm not sure about what to do. I'll wait for a wile.

I'll try to send proper comments later.

Thanks
    FTLOG...Change my vote to Hideyoshi. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_h View Post
    FTLOG...Change my vote to Hideyoshi. Thanks.
    brian h: Done

Thanks
    Voted ATAnderson. Other favourites were the robots of [/b]hallo[/b], [/b]Kreator[/b] and [/b]Zutaiola[/b]. The thing I was looking for in these robots was how well they would work on a banner or avatar. While I liked all of the above drawings, I think ATAnderson really managed to add some focus points in his drawings. hallo's could've used some more sharpness in places as well as contrast, but I really liked the idea itself. Kreator's robot is a little too much going for the effect rather than design in my opinion, and misses a real focus point in terms of color and contrast. The same goes probably for Zutaiola. All the arms, the head and wheel have sort of the same contrast and darkness, while especially with that point of view some atmospheric perspective really helps to bring out the drawing and design better.

I'll try to put up some comments for other people if I got some more time

Thanks
    There goes my vote.
    I think Hideyoshi would have to have 4 instead 3 votes right now

Thanks
    Zutaiola: Yeah that is because Legato misvoted and wanted it changed. The only way for me to do it is to fiddle with the numbers, but I can't shift the names to the new vote. It's kind of messy, but as far as I can tell, that's the only way to change votes. So you just have to read Zutaiola instead of Legato

Thanks
    void: i like it, looks more like a battle robot to me though.
    scarypotato: what an adorable little dude - he's even got some nipples. very cool 50's design.
    daveneale: creative design. pity it's a bit small, would have liked a bigger version.
    spitch: pretty cool. looks like ipod's bigger brother. or dad.
    d-holme: interesting, maybe a bit too humanoid and rough around the edges. is the green tube going around the figure a part of it?
    rhandalthor: nice colours. there's something creepy about it, can't say what exactly. the eyes, maybe.
    myself: thanks for the crits and votes, people. had fun working on it.
    brian h: cool. wicked design, i think it would fit perfectly in an 'alien' movie, reminds me of the exoskeletons they had. got my vote.
    atanderson: another really nice design, dig those sparks. well done.
    kreator: great rusty/brass textures. also, that reactor-furnace thing and the, uuh wallpapers (?) on it's ankles are nice.
    collinsully: one of my favourites. fine colours, cool design, and awesome suction cups
    cowboy surfer: interesting idea, i like the little clockwork-like gears. the colours don't do it justice, in my opinion.
    hideyoshi: cool, clean design, i dig the style, but i rather see this droid fighting things instead of fixing them.
    legato: nice concept and execution. a few saturated colors might have made it pop a bit more..?
    baby-bel: interesting shapes. does it move by rolling when it is in cocoon modeTM?
    form2function: slick design & presentation. the design's maybe a tad too slick - nice nonetheless.
    zutaiola: as stated before, impressive rendering, if a bit messy. also, nice compact design.
    muleskinner: your droid definitely belongs to the sparsely populated category of psychedelic droids. scary.
    yoitisi: very creative, love the semi-loose style and subtle lighting.
    adi: clean execution and cool design, though too humanoid, in my opinion.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hallo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ah! ok! understood. It's brian_h instead Legato. I hadn't read all the posts, sorry

Thanks
    Wow, what an awesome round! Here are my comments on everyones' stuff:

[void] - This reminds me of a big water strider, only not on water...it'd be nice to see a little colour added to him. Also, the front foot (by the guy) seems to be a little wonky perspective-wise? Interesting design though!

Daveneale - This is a truly bizarre little robot! The design is intriguing, but I think people would bond to it more if it had eyes. Your colouring, as always, is great.

Spitch - I like this bot. The painting is great, but the head seems not to be obviously attached to the body. It sort of looks like it's floating in front of the body at first glance. By the way, how can you watch any DVDs that you put in him?

D-Holme - Your guy looks WIP-ish, some tighter lines and colours would help him out a lot. The design itself is an interesting one, but having those utility boxes in his crotch borders on obscene, heheh!

RhandAlThor - The highlights you have on the face are nice, but you should continue that same quality throughout the rest of the body. The axels look a bit off in their perspective...and why does a maintenance droid have flat tires??

hallo - This robot is great! Everything about it works...the design, colours and concept behind it. Very nice entry

brian_h - Very cool looking with a great industrial/mechanized feel to it. Having the bot in two distinct parts like that seems a little odd, but it makes yuor design stand out.

ATAnderson - This is a super cool tech-y looking robot. The exaggerated proportions gives it a nice cartoony look, but it's detailed enough to think of it in practical terms too. I really like this one.

Kreator - I really like the colour scheme on this, but for some reason, the 'less precise' feel to the drawing takes a little away from it in my opinion (the gripping hand and feet mostly).

collinsully - This is another really unique design! I enjoy the futuristic design, but having the arms so asymmetrical is very odd to look at. Perhaps a big grasping trunk like a live elephant and two equal arms would be a bit less jarring to look at?

cowboy surfer - Nice to see something so organic transformed into a robot the way you did. I'm not too sure about the oil drop at the end of the snout. It looks too small to carry much of any sort of fuel or lubricant, but I guess you can only have so many tiny wires coming out of the thing eh?

Hideyoshi - I like the style of your robot, but with its bladed limbs, it comes across as pretty menacing!

Legato - Too bad you couldn't work on this a little bit more! Rendering is something you do VERY well...the design reminds me jof a vacuum with many hoses, more so than an octopus (limbs seem too flexible to support its bulk so I'm assuming that like your inspiration, it works under water?)

baby-bel - Your concept is very interesting, but the image could use lots of refinement. Stronger light and shadows to help really define the curvature, along with some coloured light sources would help quite a bit.

form2function - Another great concept, very nicely thought out, but the design itself is almost TOO simple. It is something you'd expect for a real-world sci-fi design, if that makes sense! I really do like it because it is so practical

Zutaiola - I LOVE this! The design is wicked, and the rendering is out of this world...having so many limbs doing different functions though is a little distracting though. If they were all similar (little gripping hands or something) I think it would let viewers really focus on the robot itself instead of trying to look all over the place at what everything does.

Muleskinner - Definite points for being strange and unique! The claw-arm reminds me of the big blood worm things I'd find digging in the beach sand as a kid! It very much reminds me of something you'd see in the old Dr.Who TV show...the rendering on the large sphere and the demonic eye thing are really good, but the rest of it seems a little more rushed? Very surreal entry

Yoitisi - Yours would have worked as a bi-ped just fine, but having hind legs to haul around stuff is a nice idea. Looks to me like he'd need help unloading it is what he's carrying though. I really like seeing the technique you use, loose lines but such a solid concept and execution really make it more than just a sketch. Your colouring is great too, but I'd have liked to see the rear half get the same treatment as the front.

Adi - Really clean and polished work, but I agree with others that it is a little too humanoid looking. Perhaps the pin-up style pose isn't the most fitting for a robot with such an ominous looking appendage!

Yoitisi, Zutaiola and ATAnderson are all really strong contenders for being a banner bot I think, and it was very tough to decide on which one is most fitting.

I like ATAnderson's because he's actively doing something industrial.

I like Zutaiola's because the spider's face just dares you not to look back at him.

And I like Yoitisi's because of all the interesting little features and inner workings in the design.

In the end, I felt Yoitisi's seemed the most fitting for the industrial theme. Super-cool concept and nice strong focal points, and a very cool looking head to boot!

Thanks to everyone taking the time to write out crits for this round..it took me about 2hrs to get this pumped out, so I really appreciate everyone sitting down and saying something!

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScaryPotato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I voted for Yoitisi. The entry was sleek and futuristic yet rugged, sketchy yet detailed, playful yet functional, original yet classic. I felt that it best represented this activity (even though I only rarely even look in this little section of the forums, I'm sorry to admit).

Thanks
    lots of nice designs here, i realy like kreators, but i think that was mainly due to the look, and the colours, very eye catching. But my vote went in the end with yoitisi, its one of those images that at first glance doesnt look that special, probably due to the muted colour sceme, it wasn't until i had another look, then the details stand out, the little scratches, the mechanical workings. Also i think another factor which won me over was the pack mule design, perfect for carrying around those large akward objects.

Thanks
    Hope this makes some sense it’s the end of a long week:

Void – I like the bold and distinctive design, I think it would have been nice to have seen it finished off with some colour. I am not sure that the maintenance aspect is strongly represented.

ScaryPotato – A nice retro style, I wonder that with a design like that the form could have been better shown by rotating it around a little to give a clearer silhouette.

Daveneale – original in design but perhaps too much so, I like it as a concept but perhaps some detail to make its function more familiar would help it.

Spitch – a design with charm and nice little details, the USB ports etc.

RhandAlThor – Interesting approach to the brief, I think a little more detail would have brought the design together. Perhaps some closer connection between the tools and the droid.

Hallo – I like the idea with the design the self contained concept I think is an attractive one for this brief and I like how you’ve done it. Perhaps it could benefit from harder edges to stop it merging into the background white.

Brian h – The yellow of the CAT branding gives this droid a nice and strong look. The functionality appears good too with the range of different limbs. The strong headlights don’t seem to have as strong a reflection off the local-body as I might have expected.

ATAnderson – I really like this, I like the slight-roughness to the rendition and the aspect. The welding effect looks good too. The design looks nicely ‘mechanical’ and interesting of proportion.

Kreator – the roughness of this design is nice with the furnace on the chest and texture. The pattern on the upper legs looks maybe a little out of place and the head maybe could be stronger – not sure just looks a little weak when compared to the strength of the rest of the design.

Collinsully – I like the ‘clean-environment’ look to it. The shape of the droid is nicely refreshing and I like the mechanics within the shell.

Cowboy surfer – I like the originality of the design and the little touches like the oiler beak. I think the colour overlay is a little distracting, the position of highlights and dark-tonal areas is somewhat disharmonious – maybe a different balance might help the image together.

Hideyoshi – I always like to see your entries and this one is a nice original concept. I like the style of the rendition – it shows the technical details off well. I am not sure however whether the design is perhaps clear enough as a maintenance function – it looks a little aggressive with the mantis like scything limbs.

Legato – the design of this droid look well suited to purpose and the busy mix of limbs gives a good appearance of functions. I think that taking the model from the greyscale to the blue really helps bring it out and the mono-tone values work well. Some of the lighting maybe looks a little misty but perhaps that was intentional, if was to be through a haze of weld vapour then some variation might help bring it out.

Baby-bel – I as mentioned before I like the manner of these self-contained designs but perhaps this is a little to contained – I think that maybe it should be opened out a little to make it’s function and abilities more obvious.

Form2function – the simplicity of this design gives it some appeal but perhaps some visible suggestion of how it hovers might help it come out. The cluster of tools makes sure it looks fit for purpose.

Zutaiola – it is good to how your initial sketches have come together with this design. The rendition is good too, the metal finish is nicely effective and I think the multiple limbs give a strong silhouette. Maybe the head gets a little lost in the centre of everything – perhaps some change of tone about it or colour might show it better. It looks good and industrious however.

Muleskinner – I think this design whilst interesting is a little too ‘alien’ although it has plenty of detail and limbs to suggest function they appear overly strange and perhaps sinister – something with familiarity might help it look less like that.

Yoitisi – I really like this design, the initial sketches you had showed some nice details and ideas but where perhaps a little too ‘characterful’ this final design is really effective with the details of the previous sketches but a wonderful direction of its own. Not sure why but it almost has a Gibli feel to it and the rendition of it is nice and clean but interesting nice sub-details.

Adi – I like the colours of the design and the boldness of this image. Maybe it is too much a being and droid is not brought out enough. The leg look awkward maybe a little intoxicated but I could see it for some coppelia-esque invention not truly in control of its body (or just learning it).

That took a while to do……

---------------------------------------------------------

Myself:
    I think other than a muddy rendition the biggest problem was that people couldn’t separate the droid from the pipework in the background – something I should have seen and done something about. I’d tried to give the droid a more dynamic pose which on its own looked a little odd so I’d thought to bring that out with perhaps some basic scenery in the form of some pipework. The colours ended up too similar and I think I’ve spent too much time zoomed-in to see how badly it was not working – bother!

Maybe the legs are a little slight I toyed with it being more ambidextrous between legs and arms and they’ve ended up as a little skinny as a result.

Not sure that there is any problem with the position of the compartments, my original line of thinking was a tool belt/apron like affair which evolved to something more mechanical.

Thanks to everyone for their comments (now that we even have a button for it).

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D-Holme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I see the poll is closed. After two weeks of frantic drawing and painting and a week of voting, we've got a new avatar Thanks for all the votes, and thanks again for all who participated. I hope it's ok with everyone if I play around with the colors a bit and maybe edit a few minor issues I spotted this week, seeing as it is my own entry that I'll be turning into a banner?

I'll try to have a banner and avatar up soon, but deadlines are creeping up on me from all around and I've been so stupid as to actually starting a COW entry in between all my other work (traitor that I am ). I'll have to update the winners gallery as well somewhere soon I guess.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    and I've been so stupid as to actually starting a COW entry in between all my other work
    FOR SHAME!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1