hi>> looking for some coloring help ("soft" coloring?)>>

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hi>> looking for some coloring help ("soft" coloring?)>>

hey guys, just registered a minute ago>> i just looked through the site for about ten minutes, and im already starting to like it (and also starting to feel a bit, ah whats the word... unconfident?)>>

im just about to start coloring a new drawing, but i want to hear peoples opinions on how to color first... heres the last drawing i colored. im aiming for a soft/watercolory/warm/easygoing/calm/etc style (which is always what im aiming for). critique harshly> thanks

Name:  grassy_ambience____by_rex_craft7.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  297.2 KB

Last edited by rex-craft7; November 25th, 2007 at 02:17 AM. Reason: forgot to insert image
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the face isn't very warm...it looks harsh...maybe if he had a warmer face, it would help...try looking at styles similar to the one you are aiming for, like maybe the charmin commercials and try to see carefully what it is about those that you like

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm.. My opinion isn't worth much, but if I were to make it warmer / softer, I'd make the colors nearer to each other so there wouldn't be as high a contrast between them. :]
    Oh, and I like how you don't draw lines for the body, maybe you could do that for the face too.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,159 Times in 1,706 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There is a major difference between "soft" and "low contrast".

Soft means gummy. No musculature, no folds, no form, everything sorta rounded and outlined.

Low contrast, can look "soft" but has tons of integrity to it. A high contrast black and white picture, can just as easily be adjust to be medium gray versus light gray picture, while retaining all the difficult drawing and form stuff.

All to say, I recomment learning "hard" form and then using that to create low contrast versions of hard form. This will give your work great integrity.

Draw from life a lot. Draw yourself in the mirror. Go outside and draw trees and houses.

And copy George Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy into your notebooks, line for line.

Good luck.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.