Sketchbook: CRDESIGNSTUDIO.ORG- STORYBOARD ARTIST Sketchbook - SOME EXTREME VIOLENCE AND NUDITY.. - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: CRDESIGNSTUDIO.ORG- STORYBOARD ARTIST Sketchbook - SOME EXTREME VIOLENCE AND NUDITY..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vimerge- cool man thanks for passin thru.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maaaan!what i like about you art is freaking unstopable power of EVERYTHING in it.. Strokes.. color.. angle.. composition.. light... EVERYTHING..

keep going

dcriler is offline Product Design Engineer Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really liking your storyboards...fast, energetic, action packed. May I ask how long one of those pages take you?

Great stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great style. You have some powerful abilities in your hand and eyes. I love ease and freedom while You put color and build forms on linear sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is good work, but not only that- this is HIGHLY entertaining to read through. I don't say this about nearly ANYONE (as I just feel like it's a lame thing to say about something, rather than something constructive or informative, but...) BUT it's actually inspiring. Yeah, I said it.

There's so much fucking energy in this shit.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really dynamic work :] i like it !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, I love the energy in your pieces.
    Your minotaur pic is definetly one of my faves

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jacky-Boy- thanks man

Towarlock- thank you

Quigleyer- thanks man for stopping by

leander- thanks much

dcriler- thanks man. lets see... a set of those with out that quick tone application takes me about a full day to do with a count of 15- 20 individual frames. the tone app. can take another two or three hours to hit all of them.

ekler- thanks for the encouragement man!

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, sorry for writing with delay... the reason is it will be hard for me to generalize about your art. There are some brilliant qualities in your art and there are some things which look like you are in the hesitation about what to do, sorry about saying it like this... but the worst thing is I hardly can say anything constructive how to make those things better... because it is in the field of creating a new, harmonic style. And strictly speaking whatever I might say or suggest will not do the trick... you should deliver it with your own taste and personality.
    I'm talking about your drawing and painting dissonance.
    What can I say about your drawing, your lines?... they are extremely passionate and powerful... I don't think any one can resist the charisma of your lines. It is rare when an artist is so brave, and confident, and fast, and precise. And it looks like you draw without being aware of people's judgment, like you draw for yourself...and that is very impressive to see such a freedom ... One more wonderful quality I see and adore... that you not only choose strong, active characters with effective gestures and poses (many artists do that to catch the attention of their viewer)... well you do more of that... the faces of your people or monsters look unexpectedly deep and special in the middle of this action... They carry some peculiar, fine expressions on their faces, sometimes they even take me away from the storm you create on the pages and lead me into the pondering state of mind.
    The examples of my conclusion are those:
    Golemn2.... the drawing itself even without the face expression is beautiful, highly esthetical. There are a lot of sensitivity and even gentleness and beauty in those varied lines and soft shadows...and gentle creation of form form light and shadow... but you added the fine expression, and I really adore this fact. With it I can look at it and forget the mind state I had before. The drawing talks about something human and understandable to me and sad. Strictly speaking, the coloring of this piece would be absolutely not needed. the harmony already there.

Or the lightly done sketch Lady.jpg... charming face, not sad, not tragic, but nevertheless, very recognizable, truthful beautiful emotion... state of submerging, entering dreams. This emotion is kind of rare in your conquering art, so I appreciate the quiet minute even more. It shows the other side of the moon for me so to speak.

aries_sketch.jpg... that's wonderful compositionally, (and how you placed it on paper) with those strong torso and shoulders growing and expanding to the top... and the lines,and shading are very attractive, but as a double loveliness, you have this face... through pencils dust I see a human person, breathing, living, his brain working searching for way to survive. That's pure magic.

Not all your characters have this deepness, but many do, and it shows that you have a deep side to your own personality. You see a human existance behind the form.

I of course love your lines. They are so fast, and vivid, and aggressive and gentle and ever changing and there is no ego, no pride in them, just pure enjoyment of living moment. It is wonderful how you control your lines, they are like beautiful, dangerous, fast moving snakes, ordered by you, sent by you in a chosen direction... so full of life and freedom to express. Sorry for the way too much colorful comparison... but that what I think looking at them, they are like intruders sent by you into some other people brains...

But unfortunately I can't say the same about your colors, values or sense of harmony when your start coloring...IMO.
    It is not always the case, but when you have such expressive lines, maybe you need to search for a way to preserve them to the end of the process. The drawing is much more expressive than painting of the same image.
    Maybe it would be better to choose the style of a colored drawing instead of painting with lines being the best attraction, dominant. I don't know what would be the best for the color palette... you seem to love straightforward, direct way to talk to your viewer... and I agree it might be the way... so red, orange, black, those extreme, final colors might be right for your resolute characters... but right now I don't think this simple, rough coloring with random, highly saturated colors say anything. Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like you wandering on unknown territory there.

So personally I would say you need to think about what will be the right coloring for your images.
    I would recommend to go to lounge, to this thread of many art images and search through modern artists pictures, how they resolve this problem to keep the attractive lines and to introduce the color into it.
    I personally would prefer a dominant drawing with submissive to it coloring... so colored drawing it is .... or I would think about monochrome coloring with some neutral color and with sudden bright, brave color splashes in certain parts of the picture,,,not many of them, just a few: three, four the maximum.... the way abstractionists do it like Mondrian. I mean maybe you need just very little of color, like sudden active spot on whatever focal point you want to show in your image: like a shirt of the hero, or oval shape of the shadow on his face... just a little statement you know... or it might be just not the change of color but sudden change in the surface texture.

Another thing which is too much in your images IMO, is that in your comics or story boarding you are too demanding for a viewer attention and impact.
    Your compositions there are cluttered with objects and motion, overloaded with information and details, it makes the story not important and lost.

I think you need to choose your colors wisely... you need to choose an attractive color, a statement, a lead for your story or thought... not this rusty brown, or red, or random blue, which look too squire and not connected to story or mood...just IMO of course...

I would say because of this strong desire to communicate and deliver with colors, but without needed feeling of balance and confidence you tend to overload your images sometimes, overbear your viewer... I think you need to talk quietly and laconic sometimes, you apparently can do it without thinking much about it when you are drawing.
    So... that's what I think. Don't think much about this critique though. Do what you feel is right.
    regards
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; October 13th, 2008 at 01:03 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Storyboards Layed Out In Comic Format

sve- thanks so much for taking the time out to break all of that down!! i look over it often

I did these initially for a storyboard presentation and the director requested i lay them out in a comic layout for variation.

- photoshop- digital drawings/ paint/ and photo textures

- C

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Ratteray For This Useful Post:

asa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unreal Tournament 3 Dump

I can finally show these boards i did for Unreal Tournament 3

all digital- photoshop

-C

SECOND SET

the sketchbook:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111671

Last edited by Charles Ratteray; April 13th, 2009 at 08:36 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Ratteray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Recent Sketches

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Ratteray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketch

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles Ratteray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omg, the energy.. it's so awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daaaamnit... I can't believe it's been 16 months since I last looked through here!!!!

Amazing to see the projects you've been working on since and all the wonderful work and progress you've made. Really inspiring stuff, man. Glad to see you're keeping up and doing exciting things.

Got you starred up and subscribed so I don't miss out anymore!

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Recent Sketch

tandy1000- thanks for stopping by

IanE- Thanks man, glad you were able to come thu and check out the work again

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles Ratteray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo man, really love those sketches, awesome lines and i like your work on your character pose, are they digital sketches? keep on sharing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hunchback is offline I disagree! PENIS! TACO! CHEWBACCA!
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa dude.
    I....... am.....INSPIRED....
    *Dies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for passing thru guys...more to upload soon

-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one of the few threads I bookmarked. keep it up man!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wicked'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seems like u draw w/ no abandoned and i think that is commendable. the lines go where they go, but together they seem to always achieve a dynamic feel. like the work, inspired by the style, and will keep watching. thanx for posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    super sick story boards! love the action!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude! Those storyboards are epic, what sort of time frame do you work on with each frame roughly? They really give such great direction...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

recent sketches

PeNcIl ReBeLlIoN - those unreal tournament boards - can do about 8 - 12 frames per day depending on the complexity same goes for the other sequential boards. ill add another hour per frame to do colors and such. the more detail the less the frame count

smokenmirrors - thanks man

E4sY - thats a nice way of putting it , yes , thats how it feels to create those things everytime.....i just knock out the emotional statement and move on......thanks for stopping by man

Grandmassa Mr. Spect - thanks for passin thru

a.paul - thank you

heres some ...just playin with lines and atmosphere

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Ratteray For This Useful Post:

asa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

FIREFLY - chase sequence - the message

Hey Everyone

I had to dig through my files for some older Firefly storyboard work for Titan Books for their Companion Firefly Manual they were compiling. Thought id share. If you are a fan of the show u might find these interesting.

Ill try to upload some more later

Enjoy!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Ratteray For This Useful Post:

asa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Photo comp boards

Here are some Photo Composite Storyboards i did recently

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TODAYS SKETCHS

messin around with some graphic shapes / thumbnails

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great storyboards man. I'm working on a graphic novel right now, and I love the motion you've put into these. Keep posting dude!

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 46