Thanks
    Follows
    Following

spacing question (sliders don't work)

hi guys,

i'm fairly new to painter, ive been using photoshop before for digital painting but i'm starting to realy like painter...only there is one problem...

i can't seem to get nice smoothe brush/ pen strokes ...been reading the manual on "spacing" but its not possible to actually change my spacing settings as they are greyed out (not activated) in my brush control pannel (brush control - spacing ) can maybe someone tell me how to actually change it, my brush strokes look really edgy, not smooth at all.

i can't find it in the manual or on the internet...

thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Unless we know what brush variant you're using, it's pretty hard to give you any help.

Give us enough info and maybe we can.

Since you're new to Painter, it might help to read this tutorial on my PixelAlley site as a help in knowing what kinds of info to provide when asking questions:

How to Ask Corel Painter Questions in Forums Around the Painter Community

Cheers!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi jin thank you verry much for replying,

i feel kind of dumb but obviously the spacing of the brush i'm using cant be changed...

for my sketching i like to use the pens "smooth inking pen" or "ball point pen 1.5,

but non the less the lines i draw are really edged, loads of aliasing when drawing lines , i really can't find annything about this in the manual ...best thing for me would try and upload a screenshot of the line....maybe you could tell me what window i should open so you can see my settings and see what it is i'm doing wrong

kind regards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi omar,

No need to feel dumb. There's loads (understatement) to learn about using Corel Painter's brush variants and no one learns it quickly.

Truth is, I don't think anyone knows everything there is to know about Painter's brush variants except maybe John Derry, since he was one of the original authors of Painter and designed brush variants in the early days and continues to design them. Even so, much has changed since then, and continues to change, so it would be pretty nigh impossible to keep up with it all.

Spacing controls space between brush dabs.

The reason Spacing controls are not available is that the Pen's Smooth Ink Pen is not a dab based brush variant. Instead, it's a Rendered Dab Type brush variant and uses one of several Dab Types that fall under this heading. This brush variant uses Dab Type Rendered.

To learn about Dab Types, read the following:

Painter X Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > Customizing Brushes

Click the plus sign to the left of Customizing Brushes, then click Managing Settings and Controls.

On the right panel, scroll down to the section named General Controls, then read the following sub sections:
    • Dab Types
    • Dab-based Dab Types - Descriptions
    • Rendered Dab Types - Descriptions

It might also help to read this tutorial on my PixelAlley site:

Three strokes for comparison:
    • Left stroke painted with the Pens' Smooth Ink Pen in its default state.
    • Middle stroke painted with the Pens' Smooth Ink Pen Dab Type changed to Circular (a dab based Dab Type), Method changed to Cover.
    • Right stroke painted with the Pens' Smooth Ink Pen Dab Type: Circular, Method: Cover, Spacing: 200%, Min Spacing: 10.0 showing the brush dabs.

spacing question (sliders don't work)

Last edited by Jin; November 24th, 2007 at 11:59 AM.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you verry much for you're help !!

first i'm going to read the tutorials on you're website and if i have anny more questions you just might see me scream for help again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okey dokey!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.