My latest work (portrait with wooden pencils)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: My latest work (portrait with wooden pencils)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My latest work (portrait with wooden pencils)

These is something i have done lately.I would like to hear youre impressions and find out if thay match with my original idea.Thx in advance...
    My DA link http://sentinelite.deviantart.com/

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sentinelite; December 27th, 2007 at 12:51 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You`ve got alot of work ahead of you. Don`t rush for pride yet.
    Your linework is still not confident, your anatomy, colours and composition also need more work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lighting is rather inconsistent and the shadows look like they are being added as an afterthought.

You need to pick a single lightsource and stick with it for every form in your image. Your image will be much more credible with one good light than with several bad ones.
    Model the forms in grayscale, and don't even think about color until you have a solid understanding of how value works in creating the illusion of solidity.

As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    take a figure drawing class. Study anatomy. The girl on the left is falling over to the left. The composition is boring. Putting things dead center has a way of stilling the image. The pose of the girl on the left is lacking interest.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Recipe for success

Be:
    Aware of how far you've come
    Proud of where you are
    Exited about where you're going

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Zypher; the girl on the left is toppling over. You need to move her left leg out to balance her, if you're going to have her torso at that angle. Her neck also seems a little thick to me; try pulling the left side of it in a little more.

I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said already. Just keep practicing!

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the fact that the sexually free native chick is like gettin' busy with the pale skinned shy chick. And like the pale skinned shy chick is, like, lettin' her. Like bi-curious, but too shy to do anything about it. So, like, the native chick is like more spiritually, like, aware of all things sexual and sensual and she like brings it, y'know what I'm saying. That's, like, soooo hot. And the fact that you only show a single white booby shows that you have, like, good taste.

Dude, I totally know that white chick.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx for all the advices but i cant say that they are of much help.first of all nobody can draw perfect anatomy whitout having a model(in my case i didnt have one)maybe there is someone but that can not be taken as a general preposition(to make a nice work)The second thing is that i em a little confuzed by the fact that everyone on CA is talking about anatomy and lightning and other things...but in the same time 90/95% of the works posted here are in the scifi or fantazy genre.what is the point than...some more important moments for that genre as the idea,the sense and the inovation are
    not given any importance.

I like the fact that someone have chosen to look at the work more freeminded
    (i em talking about Ferrara)and i thank him for really trying to fell the work not to analyze it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I've seen some post where people are more concentrate on the mood of the picture and illustrative details, but usually many of those pictures have very good technical details in it already. So, I guess generally technical skills have higher priority than the picture's idea (which I quite agree with that)

I don't know if Ferrara is serious with what he's saying 'cause, like, he talks in ,like weired context n' stuff, u know what i'm saying ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, you posted in a critique forum; of course it's going to be analyzed...that's the whole point. And if you can't get a live model, you can always use yourself or find photo references.

I agree with the others about the girl on the left being in danger of toppling over. I'm also confused over her clothing...it seems torn like fabric, but the way you've rendered it makes it appear like chain mail. Or is it from something scaly, like a crocodile? It's difficult to tell.

"You there! Cake or death?"

Skunk's Sketches

Skunk's Pimpage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinelite View Post
    thx for all the advices but i cant say that they are of much help.first of all nobody can draw perfect anatomy whitout having a model(in my case i didnt have one)maybe there is someone but that can not be taken as a general preposition(to make a nice work)The second thing is that i em a little confuzed by the fact that everyone on CA is talking about anatomy and lightning and other things...but in the same time 90/95% of the works posted here are in the scifi or fantazy genre.what is the point than...some more important moments for that genre as the idea,the sense and the inovation are
    not given any importance.
    Yeah, that's why references are usually stressed. Drawing from your head corrupts your image because it's what you think it should be like when reality says otherwise. Artists who have looked at enough models, drawn enough from these experiences have an understanding of anatomy and perspective that they could later pull out of their ass at any time they please and make it look good. Fantasy and sci-fi (I'm going to guess you're talking about mythical creatures) all have elements based on things we've seen in reality, or somehow familiar with. If not, things we learn from anatomy should be able to be translated into things such as robot. Things such as where all the weight of the body would be at, how the frame should be bolstered to support its load, etc... I mean, that's why the hips and butt are so huge and all.

The reason we harp on technical skill is because that's usually what brings down a piece. It doesn't matter how wonderful the idea behind the piece is, if it's not conveyed clearly, if it's got minor mistakes all throughout the picture, it can ruin it. It's kind of like how it'd be hard to read a good story when it's chock full of spelling errors, narration jumps around too much, pacing is inconsistent, etc...

As for your pic, which I should be offering crits for, I think other people have pretty much covered it. The girl's gonna topple over, the composition is straightforward, study anatomy (actually your anatomy's not that bad compared to some other people around here, but don't get cocky about it either). I'm going to bitch about one thing, and only one small thing. Study cloth. The clothes in this picture don't look really much like clothes. Somebody pointed out the chain/scale mail armor that she's wearing, but looking at the edges at the bottom makes me think it's too thin to be either. As for the woman on the right, it's like her cloth was painted onto her or something, there's no evidence of any thickness to that cloth when you look at her hip where it wraps around.

You sound like you're pretty much done with this picture -as in you probably don't want to make any changes, much less an overhaul of the picture- but these are generally for future considerations.

Drunken Sketches - crit me, crit me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the fact that someone have chosen to look at the work more freeminded
    (i em talking about Ferrara)and i thank him for really trying to fell the work not to analyze it.
    My brain just melted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Be:
    Aware of how far you've come
    Proud of where you are
    Exited about where you're going
    If I may add my own snippet....

Your best work comes when you are no longer proud of your past efforts but rather disgusted...you will find then that you have already may that first step forward...to your next beginning...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Peanut View Post
    If I may add my own snippet....

Your best work comes when you are no longer proud of your past efforts but rather disgusted...you will find then that you have already may that first step forward...to your next beginning...
    Ah, yeah man, I love that feeling. Looking back at work you once thought was good, and seeing that its crap. Makes me see that all the hard work is paying off.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...since there are so many here that think someone should not be proud of his work i have made some changes in the title.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So im naive,what can i do...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first of all nobody can draw perfect anatomy whitout having a model
    You've always got one model avaliable, yourself and a mirror.

There were two ships. One had red paint, one had blue paint. They collided. At last report, the survivors were marooned. BA-DUM BSSH!

Art Blog
    Website
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...since there are so many here that think someone should not be proud of his work i have made some changes in the title.
    Come on, don't wallow in self-pity. Have a look at your very first drawings. Then look at this one again. Isn't it an improvement? You have every right to be proud of that! Just don't stop there! Next year, you might look at this pic and feel the same you feel now about your first drawings.
    Never stop improving!

Please excuse my poor English, it's not my first language!
    DA / tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexandraBirchmore View Post
    You've always got one model avaliable, yourself and a mirror.
    hmmm,somehow i don't think that will work...

...think that the best way to make an anatomy correct illustration would be to have a photo in front of u(in which the models are in the pose u want for the image).u can improvise other details but anatomy-don't think so...
    another option would be to draw million sketches and waste too much time of our precious lives.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if this'll help, but instead of trying to find models to fit to your scene, imagine what each part of the body is shaped like, and then shade according to your light source. I'd say that you have a color compostition of where you want to end up now. Go back to your lineart and lightly sketch in the different shapes, like a cylindar for the leg and ball for the knee etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    another option would be to draw million sketches and waste too much time of our precious lives.
    Waste? Sketching is how you figure out whether your composition and poses will work or not. You can go through one or a million of those- it's not a waste if you end up with something workable.

And no, the other option is not to keep haphazardly drawing bodies a million times till the anatomy looks correct. Study from books, photos, or, yes, a mirror, if you simply cant get a class. At the very least you should be looking up books by Bridgman and the like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry

Dude, I've been here 2 days. Seen hundreds and hundreds of drawings, sketches, illustrations, paintings, executed in every possible medium imaginable. But nowhere have I seen anyone have an excuse (not even a reason), for not taking the advice offered graciously and courteously. Or not. It is your choice. But you did present your work in open forum for anyone to look at it, enjoy it, (or not), and to offer whatever they thought would help it--and you, by the way.

Dude, I owned an art gallery for many years. I was member of many different organizations and was honored to be officer in some. If any artist walked into my gallery, asking for help or opinion, received it, and then threw it back in my face, but still wanted me to rep for him or her, but on their terms, I guarantee they would have been told to leave, like now.

Many people have taken their time to look at what you have presented and some have offered very good and reasonable opinions, advice, suggestions, whatever, and the best payment you have for them is an argument?

That is so wrong!

I could critique your work and critique it well! From any aspect. Emotional, social, psychological, racial, historical, originality, dynamics of perspective and color balance, anatomy, light and shading--especially as it pertains to the human form, racial differences in anatomical structures, balance, contrast, social acceptance or rejection of gendre preference, use of texture as an artistic tool, emotional development of your art through body positioning of your subjects, ways to circumvent not having a model for reference, achieving dimensionality in your work, accomplishing the difference between fine art and decorative art, etc., etc., etc.

But I will not. Why should I? So I can be told that my orientation is more sci-fi/fantasy than emotional? That it is too academic for the real world and doesn't allow for the human condition? Etc., etc., etc.

I am a moderator on a couple of forums. I'll be surprised if this post isn't considered a little bit too OTT and OOC and isn't deleted and I'm not reprimanded for it. But I think you need someone to tell you to stop behaving like a prima-donna, and all around attention seeker, and get on with the business of art and not debate. >.<

This is in no way an attempt at flaming or baiting or trolling, etc. It is MY opinion, offered as a valid critique in open forum, for a member who has posted a desire that his work be reviewed.

Last edited by Mekelhorn; December 16th, 2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: correct OCC to OOC

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekelhorn View Post
    I am a moderator on a couple of forums. I'll be surprised if this post isn't considered a little bit too OTT and OOC and isn't deleted and I'm not reprimanded for it.
    Not at all.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

satori is offline graphicdesign-intern and wannabe-illustrator Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, this picture shure is getting a lot of attention considering you find it so bad. maybe we can all identify with your selfpity and thats why one is compelled to nudge you.
    anyways heres a little crit, that I havent read yet. not very important compared to the anatomical-sketch-a-lot-more-especially-from-life-advice, which is the only permanent way out of your misery by the way. no short cuts.
    you need to also stop using that damn soft brush. I see this all the time. use a hard edged brush and stop relying on the automatic softening. it looks super artificial. by using the teardrop-tool and the smudge tool you can get all the soft edges you need afterwords.
    anyhow, if your really as unhappy about your level of skill as you say you are, then get crackin. it doesnt matter so much, what you do. which exercise. what approach..etc. but that you get around to doing it in the end.

the compulsive imagemaker

"sticking feathers up your ass doesn't make you a chicken"

my sketchbook-thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekelhorn View Post
    Dude, I've been here 2 days. Seen hundreds and hundreds of drawings, sketches, illustrations, paintings, executed in every possible medium imaginable. But nowhere have I seen anyone have an excuse (not even a reason), for not taking the advice offered graciously and courteously. Or not. It is your choice. But you did present your work in open forum for anyone to look at it, enjoy it, (or not), and to offer whatever they thought would help it--and you, by the way.

Dude, I owned an art gallery for many years. I was member of many different organizations and was honored to be officer in some. If any artist walked into my gallery, asking for help or opinion, received it, and then threw it back in my face, but still wanted me to rep for him or her, but on their terms, I guarantee they would have been told to leave, like now.

Many people have taken their time to look at what you have presented and some have offered very good and reasonable opinions, advice, suggestions, whatever, and the best payment you have for them is an argument?

That is so wrong!

I could critique your work and critique it well! From any aspect. Emotional, social, psychological, racial, historical, originality, dynamics of perspective and color balance, anatomy, light and shading--especially as it pertains to the human form, racial differences in anatomical structures, balance, contrast, social acceptance or rejection of gendre preference, use of texture as an artistic tool, emotional development of your art through body positioning of your subjects, ways to circumvent not having a model for reference, achieving dimensionality in your work, accomplishing the difference between fine art and decorative art, etc., etc., etc.

But I will not. Why should I? So I can be told that my orientation is more sci-fi/fantasy than emotional? That it is too academic for the real world and doesn't allow for the human condition? Etc., etc., etc.

I am a moderator on a couple of forums. I'll be surprised if this post isn't considered a little bit too OTT and OOC and isn't deleted and I'm not reprimanded for it. But I think you need someone to tell you to stop behaving like a prima-donna, and all around attention seeker, and get on with the business of art and not debate. >.<

This is in no way an attempt at flaming or baiting or trolling, etc. It is MY opinion, offered as a valid critique in open forum, for a member who has posted a desire that his work be reviewed.

yes man i understand it now that i have been a (little) arrogant and annoying.im trying to change that attitude(i must say these is my first forum experience)and i started from the premise that people go to forums to debate(i was holding to my opinion too much).dont think that i wanted to offend someone-I respect other opinions but somehow i respected mine first.
    I would really like to hear your comments on my works(i have two more posts in the critique center)and i promise i will not argue too much.maybe there is impression that i dont give a f... about peoples crits but i do.all my later posts are very influenced by the forum talks(including the soft brush usage).
    ....what is OTT and OOC?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OTT would be over the top but OOC? I think that's a noise cheetah makes in the early Tarzan movies

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Out Of Context. I'm going to stalk Kev Ferrera from now on.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With shotgun in hand a pack of wolves start to run after you. Which wolf do you shoot first?

The closest one.

You're doing fine, but you can do better. Study anatomy, clothes, and composition and then give it another try. We'll then point out the next wolf for you to overcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portreit

these is something i have done lately...with wooden pencils,just experimenting a little with colors ...

Last edited by sentinelite; December 27th, 2007 at 02:00 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.