Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My latest work (portrait with wooden pencils)

Thanks

My latest work (portrait with wooden pencils)

These is something i have done lately.I would like to hear youre impressions and find out if thay match with my original idea.Thx in advance...
    My DA link http://sentinelite.deviantart.com/
    Last edited by sentinelite; December 27th, 2007 at 12:51 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You`ve got alot of work ahead of you. Don`t rush for pride yet.
    Your linework is still not confident, your anatomy, colours and composition also need more work.

Thanks
    The lighting is rather inconsistent and the shadows look like they are being added as an afterthought.

You need to pick a single lightsource and stick with it for every form in your image. Your image will be much more credible with one good light than with several bad ones.
    Model the forms in grayscale, and don't even think about color until you have a solid understanding of how value works in creating the illusion of solidity.
    As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    take a figure drawing class. Study anatomy. The girl on the left is falling over to the left. The composition is boring. Putting things dead center has a way of stilling the image. The pose of the girl on the left is lacking interest.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts

Recipe for success

Be:
    Aware of how far you've come
    Proud of where you are
    Exited about where you're going

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I agree with Zypher; the girl on the left is toppling over. You need to move her left leg out to balance her, if you're going to have her torso at that angle. Her neck also seems a little thick to me; try pulling the left side of it in a little more.

I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said already. Just keep practicing!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,728 Posts
    I like the fact that the sexually free native chick is like gettin' busy with the pale skinned shy chick. And like the pale skinned shy chick is, like, lettin' her. Like bi-curious, but too shy to do anything about it. So, like, the native chick is like more spiritually, like, aware of all things sexual and sensual and she like brings it, y'know what I'm saying. That's, like, soooo hot. And the fact that you only show a single white booby shows that you have, like, good taste.

Dude, I totally know that white chick.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    thx for all the advices but i cant say that they are of much help.first of all nobody can draw perfect anatomy whitout having a model(in my case i didnt have one)maybe there is someone but that can not be taken as a general preposition(to make a nice work)The second thing is that i em a little confuzed by the fact that everyone on CA is talking about anatomy and lightning and other things...but in the same time 90/95% of the works posted here are in the scifi or fantazy genre.what is the point than...some more important moments for that genre as the idea,the sense and the inovation are
    not given any importance.

I like the fact that someone have chosen to look at the work more freeminded
    (i em talking about Ferrara)and i thank him for really trying to fell the work not to analyze it.

Thanks
    Well I've seen some post where people are more concentrate on the mood of the picture and illustrative details, but usually many of those pictures have very good technical details in it already. So, I guess generally technical skills have higher priority than the picture's idea (which I quite agree with that)

I don't know if Ferrara is serious with what he's saying 'cause, like, he talks in ,like weired context n' stuff, u know what i'm saying ?

Thanks
    Dude, you posted in a critique forum; of course it's going to be analyzed...that's the whole point. And if you can't get a live model, you can always use yourself or find photo references.

I agree with the others about the girl on the left being in danger of toppling over. I'm also confused over her clothing...it seems torn like fabric, but the way you've rendered it makes it appear like chain mail. Or is it from something scaly, like a crocodile? It's difficult to tell.
    "You there! Cake or death?"

Skunk's Sketches

Skunk's Pimpage

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinelite View Post
    thx for all the advices but i cant say that they are of much help.first of all nobody can draw perfect anatomy whitout having a model(in my case i didnt have one)maybe there is someone but that can not be taken as a general preposition(to make a nice work)The second thing is that i em a little confuzed by the fact that everyone on CA is talking about anatomy and lightning and other things...but in the same time 90/95% of the works posted here are in the scifi or fantazy genre.what is the point than...some more important moments for that genre as the idea,the sense and the inovation are
    not given any importance.
    Yeah, that's why references are usually stressed. Drawing from your head corrupts your image because it's what you think it should be like when reality says otherwise. Artists who have looked at enough models, drawn enough from these experiences have an understanding of anatomy and perspective that they could later pull out of their ass at any time they please and make it look good. Fantasy and sci-fi (I'm going to guess you're talking about mythical creatures) all have elements based on things we've seen in reality, or somehow familiar with. If not, things we learn from anatomy should be able to be translated into things such as robot. Things such as where all the weight of the body would be at, how the frame should be bolstered to support its load, etc... I mean, that's why the hips and butt are so huge and all.

The reason we harp on technical skill is because that's usually what brings down a piece. It doesn't matter how wonderful the idea behind the piece is, if it's not conveyed clearly, if it's got minor mistakes all throughout the picture, it can ruin it. It's kind of like how it'd be hard to read a good story when it's chock full of spelling errors, narration jumps around too much, pacing is inconsistent, etc...

As for your pic, which I should be offering crits for, I think other people have pretty much covered it. The girl's gonna topple over, the composition is straightforward, study anatomy (actually your anatomy's not that bad compared to some other people around here, but don't get cocky about it either). I'm going to bitch about one thing, and only one small thing. Study cloth. The clothes in this picture don't look really much like clothes. Somebody pointed out the chain/scale mail armor that she's wearing, but looking at the edges at the bottom makes me think it's too thin to be either. As for the woman on the right, it's like her cloth was painted onto her or something, there's no evidence of any thickness to that cloth when you look at her hip where it wraps around.

You sound like you're pretty much done with this picture -as in you probably don't want to make any changes, much less an overhaul of the picture- but these are generally for future considerations.
    Drunken Sketches - crit me, crit me

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinelite View Post
    I like the fact that someone have chosen to look at the work more freeminded
    (i em talking about Ferrara)and i thank him for really trying to fell the work not to analyze it.
    My brain just melted.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Be:
    Aware of how far you've come
    Proud of where you are
    Exited about where you're going
    If I may add my own snippet....

Your best work comes when you are no longer proud of your past efforts but rather disgusted...you will find then that you have already may that first step forward...to your next beginning...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast