Sketchbook: Kat's sketchbook - And The Journey Continues - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kat's sketchbook - And The Journey Continues

Jamesy is offline Kevin Durant's Manstalker Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Vyliss, I didn't realize you updated a couple times from the last time I viewed your sketchbook. Your environments are looking very nice, and I think they're helping you with more than just the colors (depth, placement, and everything else). It's something I plan to do as well during the spring break. That sucks with the scanner, I have to walk to the computer lab every time I want to scan something because I can't figure out why mine doesn't work. With that said, I still can't wait until you post more pencils!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woohoo, second page finally!

Rabbi Satan thanks, not olsen twins though hehe, just some random girl from a modelling website. I had a hard time getting a likeness too. With attachments, after I upload my images with manage attachment, you go to the Attachment button which is next to the smilie face. Then you select the attachment you want to include in your text.

Soja hehe surprised ppl like those environments, I thought they weren't as good as other people's that I saw. They're kind of noob, but I had fun doing them and they were just quick studies. The first one I did took a bit more time because it was more elaborate and the colours were more intersting I guess. It's a study of one of James Paicks work.

Jamesy Yea I agree on the environment studies. I had to scan my stuff at uni today too. I have some life drawings that I scanned so you can see my recent crappy pencil drawings

Here's my crap looking life drawings I did this week

Name:  19-3-08(1).jpg
Views: 508
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  19-3-08(2).jpg
Views: 513
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  19-3-08(3).jpg
Views: 505
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  19-3-08(4).jpg
Views: 504
Size:  54.1 KB

Rest are sketches I did at uni or at a shopping centre. The shopping centre ones kind of sucks cos no one stopped for more than 2 seconds and it was harrrrrrd.

Name:  19-3-08(5).jpg
Views: 503
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  19-3-08(6).jpg
Views: 507
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  19-3-08(7).jpg
Views: 510
Size:  60.6 KB

And here is some gesture drawings done from reference:
    Name:  sk67.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  40.3 KB

Gesture drawings from imagination. These took longer and that's why I didn't do as many, still need some more work on them :/
    Name:  sk68.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  34.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vyliss,

You have a great SB going here, I don't see any "crap" drawings here, what I do see is allot of hard work and practicing. Your latest set of gesture drawings turned out really nice. Keep at it!

Quinn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the life drawings, no matter how scribblely they look. It shows that you're working really hard towards getting better at the human form. You've probably been to a ton of life sessions and all and you've probably tried this method already, but try to do the quick 1-3 min poses on larger sheets of paper, that way you the whole arm movement going. One tends to "feel" the form more with this method (sorry if this sounds repititive). Those smaller gesture drawings from reference and imagination are also very interesting studies. It shows that you have a pretty firm grasp with balance, proportions, and movement of the form, which is something that I still struggle with. Well, I can't wait to see more, so keep postin!

cout<mecha is offline animation.visualization.c ollaboration Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice works here Kat! You have good facility with your subject matter solid and complete. Also in some works you show good details. One thing to work on is you line of action in your originals not neccarily your figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quinn Simoes thanks

Jamesy Yea usually at life drawing I use bigger paper but last time I only had an A4 size sketchbook with me. Thanks about the gesture drawings

cout<mecha That's one thing I don't 'get'. I rarely can come up with a pose that goes with a line of action, so I don't really start with one usually. I don't know, I find it hard to imagine a pose with one. It makes some poses weird and takes me longer to come up with where legs and arms should go but yea.

An update, did a bunch of skull/head studies.

Name:  24-3-08(1).jpg
Views: 467
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  24-3-08(3).jpg
Views: 461
Size:  44.1 KB

Attempted to do some thumbnail sillouettes, am quite bad at it

Name:  24-3-08(2).jpg
Views: 456
Size:  37.3 KB

A character I started then grave up on very quickly lol, I don't know, it's kind of boring.

Name:  24-3-08(4).jpg
Views: 456
Size:  24.4 KB

Tried to redesign Nariko (heavenly sword chick), obviously very bad designs lol but still good for learning. Also tried to do poses where the character has both feet firmly on the ground but you can feel some weight shift as well. Always found those really challenging so wanted to practice some.

Name:  24-3-08(5).jpg
Views: 452
Size:  20.7 KB

Skeleton study that I quickly grew bored of

Name:  24-3-08(6).jpg
Views: 448
Size:  36.9 KB

Fabric study. Definitely improved from first to last one hehe. The coloured one was hardest but it turned out better than I thought.

Name:  24-3-08(7).jpg
Views: 451
Size:  28.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, nice sketchbook. Liking your studies, gestures, as well as digital pieces. Shows me that I have a long way to go and more pages of studies to do. Almost feels like Australia is the place with the good artists..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Niiice, I really like the fabric study. I think the coloured one came out great. Also, the portrait from reference on the previous page is very nice.

I could offer some critiques on the redesigned Nariko, mostly from a 'could she actually move in this and manage not to flash everyone' stand point, but I think you're already well aware.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Vyliss!!! U workin hard! And it's looking good!!
    Love ur gesture drawings and ur drapery studies!!
    Really good!
    About the redesign of Nariko, why dont u try to go another direction with the design? i mean colors or make her more modern or give her some other kind of clothe more european style or western? but try to keep her character??? i dont know just an stupid idea!
    But keep up the good work! REally likin it!!

My Sketchbook

www.ismilealot.com
    My Blogg and Homepage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW! Way to rock the studies lately. You're making me feel lazy. Your stuff is looking good and I really liked the color studies you did of the landscapes.

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, lot of stuff this time! I think that redesigning of a character idea is a great one. Maybe I should try that too, since I seem to lack design skills in that area. The drapery studies are very nice, with the second grey one being my favorite (more tonal range than the other two). If I'm seeing the light source correctly, I think the yellow one could be darker in some areas. Other than that, keep up the good work!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EvilBunny haha, thanks, lol that's a first, Australia is usually forgotten...

daestwen thanks and yea nariko design is pretty bad

Soja Good idea about redesigning Nariko! I think I'll do that

MyOrangeHat Thanks and if you're feeling lazy, get off here and get to drawing!

Jamesy I'm lacking design skills too which is the source of most of my frustrations lately.

Ok to next batch of drawings, mostly anatomy/gesture and tone this time.

Name:  skull23-3-08.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  75.7 KB

Name:  hands25-3-08.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  torso25-3-08.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  31.9 KB

Name:  gesture30-3-08.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  tone29-3-08.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  45.6 KB

Last one on tone is a work in progress, reference pic used obviously.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW!!
    Really nice studies!! And im lookin forward to see the finish one of the last pic!
    Great! No critiques! Just keep doin it!

My Sketchbook

www.ismilealot.com
    My Blogg and Homepage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Katie, I dont have much time to give you some good critics now but I just wanted to say seriously you don't have anything to be ashamed of, you've already progressed a lot if you compare your first and last sketch or studies in this SB. So as I told you yesterday before going to lifedrawing, I know what you re going through, its normal, even marko went through that so stop winging and keep practising, there s no other secret.

oyo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there novocastrian :p You look like you've been hell busy and improvement is definitely showing, particularly your anatomy. Try some tone studies with a bit more on the blocky large shapes as opposed to finer details, can't think of anything else since there's better advice from others a few posts up heh.

Great work!

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work Katie

I especially like the 4th in the series, the various poses with the female. Did you use a reference/model for this? If so, from which source? Posemaniacs?

You'll have to help me with my digital painting skills, mine are currently abysmal.

Anyway, I'm currently in Thailand, will try to get back to Hong Kong soon to start drawing on the computer again.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That painting is really stunning. I had to slow down and take a nice long look at it and I can't wait until it's complete! It really hits you emotionally, especially the kneeling man, who suggests to me a gladiator who's barely survived the arena fight and is bearing the mixture of pain and relief as his master pours water over his wounds. Master because of the somewhat distant look on the standing man's face, as if this is routine maintainance. Wonderful work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soja - Thanks soja, i will when I have more time!

OYO! - hehe, I know

iolarnula - thanks, yea that's a good idea, might try that.

Rabbi Satan - Hey thanks , I used references from Characterdesign.com

Maridius - hey Maridius, I used a photo reference but it's a nice photo I agree.

It's been a while since I've updated, mainly due to laziness, also havent gotten time to draw as much as previous weeks due to uni assignments. Anyway I have holidays for 2 weeks and I have a bunch of sketches to scan in still. Here are some studies from the last 2 weeks

Name:  6-4-08.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  colour6-4-08.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  16.9 KB

Name:  objectsref6-4-08.jpg
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  torso7-4-08.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  arm3-4-08.jpg
Size:  28.9 KB

Some of these are pretty bad but still fun to experiment
    Name:  noref-30-3-08.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  71.2 KB

Something for a kids magazine. Thanks Adam (Form) for your help on this one
    Name:  tomb_final.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  46.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know what to say except keep on drawing AND post more often! You and the entire SSG are more advanced than me so I think I'll start getting very repetitive--I'll function more as a cheerleader for now! Go out again to that mall and sketch more hapless shoppers. You certainly represented a lot of body types in your last 'live' drawing post!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! Another Vyliss update! It's been awhile, but it looks like you've been working hard as the studies are looking good and everything. Are you taking a lot of non-art classes in school? Lucky for me all my classes are art-related (except for table tennis class, lol). Also, are you still working on that one piece you showed as a wip before this last post?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art dump

Attached Images Attached Images                        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've slacked a bit I think haha, work and Uni is taking a fair bit of my time now, but anyway no excuses! I'll try to get back to the studies. I really miss them.

Last art dump was mainly sketches I did on the train to work or just scribbles while I was out.

Maridius - Thanks We all need some encouraging once in a while

Jamesy - Well 2 of the classes I have is non-art related (theory). I've freed up some of my time now so I really want to get back to the studies, only 4 more weeks of uni left also so I'll be able to draw more.

Here are a couple of value studies I did today.
    Name:  value11-5-08.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  17.0 KB

Name:  value11-5-08(2).jpg
Views: 303
Size:  16.6 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 543 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Keep doing what you're doing, keep drawing what you're drawing + experiments and explorations in any forms of visual arts.
    I believe you're on the right track G'luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you got some crazy progress there! stick to it!! (damn i feel bad about my self for being suck lol)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good girl! i love the gestures, and i demand more of those ! MOREE!!!! ^^

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello i am now in your SSG! I see great potential, you seem to be able to paint well. But no update? UPDATEE!!! Really would love to see moreeee!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been putting off coming here to update anything because well... I only being drawing sporadically for the last 2-3 years and nothing I feel that great about updating...

Anyway, I've decided to finally get back to drawing/painting and pursuing my passion again! I hope to get enough time in my day to update this daily, but if not daily, then weekly.

Okay, I'm going to dig up some of the art I haven't got to share with you guys, it's not much but since moving house like twice, I need to find a lot of the stuff again.

Attached Images Attached Images                            

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,425 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Wow, nice comeback after three years.
    You got some very nice stylized paintings in here.
    Will try to follow from now on.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to the Study group! Always great to see more in there. Loving your SB. Welcome back !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That apple and the lemon are fantastic! Keep it up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.