JPZilla Progression: My Journey (LOTS of images)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

JPZilla Progression: My Journey (LOTS of images)

Hey conceptart, this is my 1st post! Here's my progression with drawing and coloring with Photoshop. I think I made a lot of improvements throughout. This is during a span of a couple of years... I pretty much taught myself how to do everything and I am still learning. I hope I can learn a lot here. Here we go!

NOTE: I used a mouse to color and sometimes draw for most of these. I finally got a tablet and used it on the last 3 pieces. What a difference!

Attached Images Attached Images                                                    
    Last edited by jpzilla; November 22nd, 2007 at 04:40 AM. Reason: gramatical errors
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Progression, that's the word , Chun li and the gladiator wearing magneto's helmet are my faves, keep the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, there is no doubt you've made some pretty strong improvements, but you've still got a long road ahead of you. If you want to keep making advancements (and I'm assuming that you do) you're going to need to start making studies, and diligently practicing the fundamentals of art and illustration. Starting with form and lighting are definitely not bad places to start, given that with figurative work this will also involve study of anatomy. To show anatomy properly it needs to be light and defined with form. Looking at the early American illustrators wouldn't be a bad thing since their pictures and stories were simple yet showed so much in form, lighting and shapes. Shapes, composition and value placement are equally important in your picture making and deserve their own time to be thought about and processed before you begin your final image.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,724 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Draw from life a lot more! Draw figures and draw building and landscapes and draw objects. From life.

Get George Bridgman's anatomy books, 100 hands, constructive anatomy, life drawing and the human machine and copy them over into your notebooks line for line.

Get David Leffel's "Painting secrets of the masters".

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments. I am definately hungry for improvements. I never took any classes outside of high school and I really want to go to art school so I can study basics like anatomy, lighting, shading, techniques, software, etc. I don't know if my method of drawing or coloring are even close to being correct. Your guy's advice is much appreciated. I will try to get ahold of those books and to draw more when I have time. I work almost 50 hours a week and I need to make time for my wife as well so I rarely have the time. Please keep the feedback coming!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.