Thanks

So I bought an easel today and...

...it came with some unexpected goodies.

I took it home and cracked it open, it's a nice tabletop easel that has drawers built into it to store your pencils, paints, brushes, etc., etc. The only problem with that is there's no room to store my stuff because it came packed with acrylic paints and brushes, pallets, canvas boards, and other handy things like that. I hadn't planned on getting into tradition painting until my knowledge on color theory is more complete but now that I have them I'm itching to use them. The only questions is - how? I haven't the slightest clue how to paint traditionally so can anyone point me in the direction of some good ultra beginners acrylic tutorials? I've found a few, but they've got holes in them that I can't seem to fill.
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Acrylic is easy to dive into - it's water based (so water to thin, and soap+water to clean brushes will work starting out) - it is plasticky though when dry and a little hard to get as smooth of transitions as in oil and watercolor (that may just be me though...)

As for tutorials on acrylics...I'm not sure where I'd start to look for those honestly - but I'm sure there's at least a few people around here that work in acrylics. I've always found the best way to learn stuff is to just "dive in and play with it" - at least for the first bit (when you get used to it - go find tutorials for more advanced techniques). While I prefer the look and feel of oils to work in (smoother and softer imo, while not overly washy like watercolor) - Acrylic is nice in that it's often more 'user friendly' (no worrying about a toxic thinner for one).
    Alzorath's Sketchbook

I support sketchbooks! - Subscribed to, and by:
    White Rose's Sketchbook | Matsign's Sketchbook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alzorath For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Interesting. Thanks for the info about it being so user friendly, it's pretty encouraging to know I can just use soap and water to clean my brushes.

page 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Word of advice- If you let acrylic dry on your brushes they're pretty much ruined so don't do that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Hey Sepulveture,
    Chris Benett has cajoled me into finally finishing up an intro-to-acrylics document that I started writing some months ago. I need to give it one more editing pass before I post it, but it’ll be up “soon”. I’ll let you know when it’s up.

[edit] When I finish that up, I'll be posting all seven pages of it here: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101119
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    7 pages? Wow Seedling, can't wait to read that.

Thanks for the tip Flake, I wasn't sure about how hard it would be to clean a brush that had paint dried onto it.

I love this easel! I had a tripod type easel before that I used, and it was all sorts of wobbly, and this one's all sorts of adjustable and not wobbly . I also found out that some of those tubes of paint are actually oil paints, so now I have a little choice as to what I want to embarrass myself with.
    page 2

Thanks
    LOL! I'm glad you noticed that there are oil paints mixed in with the acrylics before you started to use them. I accidentally mixed the two, once, and got a curdled mess. Best to get your supplies into differet containers and keep those containers far away from each other.

There's a link in my sig to info on oil paints, if ya want.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    keep a water spray bottle that can spray a fine mist to keep your painting and paint palette moist for smooth blending. when you thin out acrylic it tends to dry pretty fast. also, acrylic dries a shade or two darker, so when you get into mixing color, mix a shade lighter than the color you want.

also, as a general painting tip, get a shatter proof glass palette. I use a glass shelf out of my old refrigerator. what you can do with that is put a white piece of paper under it if you're painting on a white background, so you can better judge your colors. you could also put whatever color your background is under it when mixing. glass is really easy to clean too, just a bit of water and a razor blade gets the paint right off.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    also, as a general painting tip, get a shatter proof glass palette. I use a glass shelf out of my old refrigerator.
    Glass palettes are sweet, I use one for oils and cleanup takes 30 seconds with a wallpaper scraper. I have a printed greyscale chart under mine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I use an old china plate as a palette for acrylics, my husband uses perspex and does the slip-under background colour thing......

We both use table-top easels, and anything I don't store in mine gets stored in an ancient art tool box (a bit like a mechanic's tool box). Makes everything pretty portable.

Thanks
    I paint in acrylics all of the time, its my choice right now, besides oils, i don't have a really aired out area for oils yet. So i will be sticking with Acrylics for a while, i am starting to love them more and more though.

Anyways, feel free to message me regarding any questions or problems you run into.

They are pretty basic though for the most part. Besides some fancy techniques and stuff, its mostly just water and paint, "smiles"

Anyways, a good way to start is like many people say, just jump into it. But i would maybe go to your local art supply store and buy a book on acrylics. Not a how to book, but a book that covers everything about them. Learn about them first and it will be valuable to you. After you know a bit about the paint and supplies, just grab a photo or go into life. Use it as a guide and then just go at it, incorporated your own stuff into it. Don't just copy it exactly. If you understand color theory already this will be easy, paint with shapes and values, then work in details.

Now those things are just some things you can do, so you can get yourself used to working with the paint, mixing colors etc. You need to get the feel for it. Don't be afraid to work fast, try out both ways, fast or slow, see what you like.

~JB

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zazulathi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your responses
    page 2

Thanks
    well sort of an advance book but

richard schmidts book called Alla Prima, its not so much a step by step but a book that i find indispensible

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLioness View Post
    richard schmidts book called Alla Prima
    Asolutely wonderful book!

I finally got that acrylics intro document posted! http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=101119&page=2 Enjoy!

Thanks
    We need pics damn it!
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alesoun View Post
    I use an old china plate as a palette for acrylics
    I did too when an instructor of mine taught me this trick. Inexpensive and easy to clean up. I broke one once and promptly went to a flea market and bought another one.

Thanks
    Super sweet, thanks Seedling

Such a lovely lady ye be
    page 2