Sketchbook: ► Ka.lie.doscope - Page 5

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once again . . .Damn, I cant get tired of your work. Awsome!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys

haven't been in here forever - big huge thanks for the feedback. Sadly, I doubt I'll be able to make more stop-ins anytime soon. I'm finishing up with my degree now, so lots of stuff to do and no time to do it. Plus I feel I've mostly broken out of the realm of "Concept Art" as these forums perceive it - not that it's out of place here, but right now I'm focussing on things these forums don't commonly comment or give feedback on.

Quote Originally Posted by AztcFireFlower View Post
    But that's what makes them cool, the spontaneity, just as life is. The balance of control with chance. Don't change, add to that. Jes?
    I know what you mean, tho. I guess decisions and control means understanding how an approach works and manipulating the results. I'm on the same path with me figs.
    Thanks for the feedback Aztec, always cool. I've been investing a lot of time in thinking about how I should handle elements, and I think I've come a long way from the random splats. I'm relying less on accidently getting cool looking environments in which to compose and am more able to consciously construct and engineer compositions to best reflect my ideas. That random non-human quality is something the medium will do on its own provided one knows how to handle it.

bhanu: haha cool thanks bro, much appreciated sir.

tengudesu: haha thanks

marc_redd : nah, after a few hours all those ochres and burnt siennas will turn you into a puking machine sir! thanks man

-----

so I suppose a kind of farewell-update is in order. Six book covers and one highly unfinished poster for an opera - all college work. Bookcovers are mostly prints + PS, poster is all acrylic, ink + some graphite (apart from the shading on the figure - some of that is actually digital too).

Name:  bookcover5-v3.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  82.0 KB

Name:  bookcover-6.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  105.7 KB

Name:  bookcover-8.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  196.8 KB

Name:  book-cover-4.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  144.1 KB

Name:  bookover2.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  Book-Cover-3.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  150.3 KB

Name:  carmen2.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  390.5 KB

feedback still welcome

haha, i'm such an arse.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff mate!

good luck with the degree and hope things go well in the future

cheers mate, all the best

5. The Following User Says Thank You to krossj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Brendan. I love the grit and designs of your images. High quality work!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Such rich stuff O_O So much color, texture, awesomeness... wow. I loev it. Sorry, no crits from me D:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like how u aproach LMS and try to put some deeper meaning in there.. for example http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...2&d=1201386489
    goodness ;]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dorobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow man, your stuff has realy become top notch!! Why leave us ... your stuff might not stricktly be considered concept art in the conventional sense but you produce amazing images and thats all that people on this sight could ask for So dont be a complete stranger, even if you only update a couple of times a year!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to D@niel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YOU mah Fav artist Eva!

No joke hoss, concept art or not... your still #1 in my book.
    Keep on pushing good sir

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Coinpurse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo man you have serious mad skills! i really (REALLY) like the man under the umbrella. looks eerie and it reminded me of some kind of movie poster or something, well it would be perfect (rain man ) anyways keep it up im amazed!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 5coop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are the drawings made on the book covers by you? Not that it matters but I am curious. Nice to see the last three break away from your more usual colour palette. I love the them. I thing they're a great combination of graphic elements with very nice compositions. Playful. Inviting, intriguing.

Good luck man.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tensai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very kool style over all. Like the colors, the tones, the brush strokes.I can feel some dimension and emotion. One thing.... The talk bubble with images inside is to cliche, sorry... IT clash the rest of the image.

FFFFUUUUUUUUDDDGGGGEEEEEE... Watch me in the dish washer...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Azeltron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the last one is the awesomest... cuz obviously it contains blatant nudity..and also I love the composition......

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bhanu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm disappointed! Just as I return all determined and stuff, you leave! =(

But then, I guess I still have another 2 years after this one to study.. so... nyeh. Good luck with stuff, but please please keep posting anyway. I would really like to see what you do (Especially if I can run around, point to some random book or poster, and be all "I sort of e-know this person!")

PS: Love the stamps. In fact, I love your whole style - the way all your illustrations look so emotional and fun! The colour, texture, and richness really involves a person =)

Sketchbooks to see:
    ~ Leo Ki ~ Zweit ~ Wilkerson ~ Wheezy ~

Sketchbook:Volchiha

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Volchiha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well you guys have been so awesome - i really didn't expect much of a response after my long absence - that i've decided to squeeze just one more update in here. Since i've got a bit of a breather right now - not working when i shoul be - i guess i might just as well.

krossj: thanks man, always appreciated your comments. best of luck to you too mate.

Kian - thanks sir, much respect.

algenpfleger: thanks!!

dorobo: many thanks - yes I like to play with meaning a little, so I'm always looking to work ambiguous symbols and shit into the illustrations. I'm really not liking that one though - far too licked I think. Loses effectiveness.

D@niel: Haha, thanks man. Will aim for semi-annual updates, and failing that, annual ones. Will still float around from time to time .

Coinpurse: Thanks good sir, your heartfelt confession is appreciated ... truly, it warms my cockles. Hope you're doing well man man!

5coop: thanks!

tensai: Very glad sir, I was thinking about your crits as I was busy with those. The whole book cover thing was a sort of last-minute thing, mainly wanting to diversify my current repertoire - overall I've only gotten good reactions to them, so I'm *still* really very happy with them. Unfortunately this newest batch seems to fall into much of the same recipes as before. Just doing it better, I think.

Azeltron: I like your observation about speech bubbles, it has some merit. However, I don't view speech bubbles as a visual motif as such. Rather, a linguistic device in images. In other words, I rather think of speech bubbles as one would of exclamation marks or quotation marks - devices with which to convey or communicate something. functional things - because by god they certainly aren't pretty little symbols. At least for the most part.

bhanu: hey how are you? thanks man, glad you like the comp - new one's comp is better though.

Volchiha: Haha, you said "e-know." Like those heartburn tablets.
    *collective facepalm* *awkward silence*
    don't worry though, I'll make stop round here every now and then I suppose. Good luck with your studies miss, hope you nail them and have a great time.

ok so for this so-called follow-up to the final update.

first up is a fairly final version of the Carmen poster in the previous post.
    Name:  carmen4.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  326.1 KB

an editorial illustration on an article about phobias.
    Name:  phobie.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  273.8 KB

and some matte painting WIPs - none of these are finished. the painted and more 3d bits aren't gelling, need to still find a middleground. oh yeah, and they all look the same
    Name:  badass2.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  160.6 KB
    Name:  cave2.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  278.7 KB
    Name:  shot2mattoverpaint.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  138.2 KB
    thank again all
    till next time

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey brendan, it's been a while :]
    Those matte paintings are ace man, really like the details and lighting. Cept maybe id add some cast shadows in the last one, with the rocks underneath the ones that are cutting the light... but im getting too picky.
    Keep on rocking man ! And sorry again for the lack of visits...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful rich colours! I love the tactile element you are achieving in those paintings. Good matte paintings too!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to D@niel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hay dude, I enjoy your work so much! Awesome environments, especially like numba 2 and 3.

The illustrations on phobias, private project or for class? Rocking*

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Eckardt For This Useful Post:

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    absolutely gorgeous stuff. I am amazed at the matte paintings. So rich in colour and detail. Though as danielC pointed out, cast shadows would be a good thing. I love the bookcovers and the Carmen poster is amazing. I am usually not one for semi abstract stuff at all but you might just have made it into my exception list, along with Andrew Jones par exaamplais.

If I was to crit anything it would be to make the realistic pieces and the abstract stuff (the female abdomen, for example) even more anatomicly correct, thus making the whole thing stand out more. That is my opinion anyways

So thanks for sharing and keep posting

-E

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Mischeviouslittleelf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1220745379

damn....

Well I am doing good bro...come to my Sb and leave a word or two...

I agree with you that those 3d parts arent matching the painterly parts but still they givin me nice vibes...

36. The Following User Says Thank You to bhanu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man sorry i keep missing out on your updates, the bookcovers and everything look sweet as man, I can see quite a Dave Mckean-feel in ya

seriously love your approach to colour, you make me SEETHE with jealousy haha, well enough asspatting, I guess work on a bit more with the anatomy, love the rendering on the girl though, really nice subtle value changes along the form.

also great to see you messing around with mediums and styles, just dont forget about the studies!

all the best man!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to paperX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya CAN'T leave us!
    I think it all works in turns. I know that I can learn from your experience and images: The thoughts behind them, your choice of color, etc. Your latest post show a unique and maturing style. Definitely loaded with personality, character. You own these designs in concept, style and all. From that perspective, we can really learn how it is that one moves forward from the taught to the true creative. So,.......just check in, from time to time. Sounds like alot of people are going to be deprived of your creative explorations.

Still could use your comments and observations. Stay in touch, Señor Brendan.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

40. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to wonder whether indeed anyone will rock up for this update... what's it been - 7, 8 months or something? But I'm sitting here, for once with little to do (but with still as much going on as ever), pondering the forums. So why not throw in an update: I'm set to start with something top secret fairly soon, so perhaps the improbable feedback will do me some good.

Where have I been? Well, I'm longer a student - but instead a full-time illustrator at one of SA's top animation companies. And enjoying it - maybe I'm still on the honeymoon phase. That and a myriad of other small things have kept me busy.

Shut up, here's some exhibition stuff (no this isn't all I've in 8 months, but it's all that I'm allowed to show you and not ashamed of. I've got some photos here as well ... perhaps I'll upload them some other time.) It's not eye-candy, but then it's not really supposed to be:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  341.6 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  432.8 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  457.0 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  430.3 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  442.0 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  365.0 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  396.5 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  303.0 KB

Shit, woulda thunk it'd e easier to upload stuff by now - turns out it just so much more of a schlep...
    anycase, any feedback welcome >>

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh my god! i never realised you might come back for an update! and no one even reacted! if it would be my birthday today this would have been my best present
    sick stuff as usual, i cant really think of useable crits, i just like it a looooot! especially the second one. in general i think you gained a lot in composition. before it more felt like the same density everywhere, and now theres more diversity inside all pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

dig, lazarus, dig!

thanks aj, you sir are too kind. Yes, composition has become one of my big priorities and I'm gaining confidence with it. Paint as awesome and beautiful as you want, if your composition sucks then so do you. hard.

anycase, would like some opinions on these from you guys - it's largely a collaborative effort with a friend of mine(characters are, environments my own): she does simple line drawings and I expand and transform then into ... well, something else hopefully.

Two environmental concepts - both too literal for my liking at this stage.

Name:  ConceptSketch_StairwayToTheSun_01.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  207.0 KB

Name:  ConceptSketch_TheWastes_01.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  146.8 KB

Paintovers of original drawings by my freundin:

Name:  Four.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  Three.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  88.9 KB

some of the characters - no vectors used here, 3 renders + photoshop:

Name:  characterpreviews.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  91.9 KB

and a 3d version of one of the characters. first is raw render, second is postprocessed:

Name:  raw5.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  88.8 KB

Name:  Two.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  188.4 KB

That's all for now folks, will hopefully have time to return soon. Will also try my best to get back to you all, but no promises since I don't have internet at home.

ciao

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some more - visuals in these are largely done in modo, edited up in photoshop.
    superlong crit for whoever can give me the name of the artist I'm paying homage to in the first image>>

Name:  Enviro_Arzak2.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  180.7 KB

Name:  Skullbubble_Render_graphic.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  106.4 KB

Name:  design01.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  99.5 KB

comments welcome as always>>

Last edited by Brendan N; August 1st, 2009 at 07:12 PM.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a few links to some of the original artworks for some of these characters. they were done by my good freundin Mel, and I think they're damn awesome, not to mention pretty unique:

http://mel7function.deviantart.com/a...hine-131458748
    http://mel7function.deviantart.com/art/Spawn-131458965
    http://mel7function.deviantart.com/a...rain-131459045

yeah it's da, but check out some of her other stuff too - there's some solid illustration and design in there.
    will have more things in soon again.
    ciao

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your slick graphic style and sketches so much! I'll definitely be watching, coming in here is like FOOD FOR YO BRAIN. I especially adore the colours you use: kind of like the effects you get from cross processing certain kinds of films. mmmm

What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so inspiring ; the worlds that you create are magniificent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man youd make one crazy ass graphic designer, some unsettling shit in here brother.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...0&d=1249159855
    I mean wtf.
    I'd say use some photos too, do some crazy shit to them and put them in the compositions.
    Wish i could name that first artist, hah, damn, Id never mind a superlong crit from you.
    Actually I want to see your art in print magazines, would make great illustration with those editorials man.Your stuff deserves to be seen by the graphic world too, with all that purile crap that keeps being taken as graphic art and shit.
    Thanks for the love at my Sb . Lets keep the love flowing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my god your work's are amazing. I can sure learn a thing or two from you.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1