Thanks

Ritualized violence - my contribution to society

I've always thought that a bit of violence was a good thing. No, not someone beating up their wife or kids or some random stranger but something healthier... two people that agree to have a go. Sporting like.

Here's my contribution to a civilized society. A recent bout of mine fought under limited Muay Thai rules @180lbs:

Round 1 KO!

It's not as sharp as it could've been... but it never is. No one beats up fighters more than themselves.
    It is a healthy break from being behind the pencil/brush all day.

Mambo

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice kick! Receiving or dealing?
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    haha... that's the catch isn't it!

Luckily dealing.

mambo

Thanks
    definatly exibition.. did the guy you kicked have grey hair?
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    and you are an artist??

Dude,.. I respect my hands way too much to put them through hell like that. I mean, being an artist and all that...I take care of my hands...a lot.
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JL.Alfaro View Post
    and you are an artist??

Dude,.. I respect my hands way too much to put them through hell like that. I mean, being an artist and all that...I take care of my hands...a lot.
    Naw... you're hands don't take a beating. You're wrapped and taped under the gloves. Besides it's not the same sport as boxing. The human body can take a lot if you take care of it. It's not as if your hands become insensitive clubs once you start training. The amount of conditioning and diet we put ourselves through makes it a foregone conclusion that we respect our bodies. It's not like artist need to spend all their time applying hand lotion and petting kittens.
    Last edited by mambo; November 19th, 2007 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by noshadowmaster View Post
    definatly exibition..
    err... huh?
    I'm guessing you don't actually fight or know much about the fight game. No one gets KO'd in exhibitions.
    You're welcome to view the entire fight card here. They're obviously don't host exhibition fights in fight promotions that packed out:
    http://www.twinsboxing.net/news/the_..._2007_list.htm

did the guy you kicked have grey hair?
    Yeah he's got white/grey hair for some reason. Now watch me get done for beating up old pensioners.

Here's another shot from an older fight (much lighter weight as well). Again... these are not exhibition bouts. A fight and an exhibition bout are two entirely different things.
    Exhibition bouts are to educate the public as to what happens in a particular style of fighting or to hype a fighter. So needless to say their is no
    point in KO'ing someone in an exhibition bout.
    Last edited by mambo; November 19th, 2007 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mambo View Post
    Naw...You're wrapped and taped under the gloves.
    I guess that would make a difference, I've never been taped up and stuff, but I practiced Tae Kwon Do, and hurt my wrists a couple of times- that was wearing a bandage thing, no tape n stuff.
    Good luck with your fights man!
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JL.Alfaro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah the taping and wrapping makes a big difference in the stability of the wrists. As well there is a lot of work that goes into stabilizing the arm/shoulder/wrist for impact. Though with 8oz gloves on (like in the second picture) you still can walk away with sore spots on your skull that definitely the result your opponents knuckles. All the more reason to avoid getting caught out.

Thanks for the positive vibes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mambo View Post
    err... huh?
    I'm guessing you don't actually fight or know much about the fight game. No one gets KO'd in exhibitions.
    You're welcome to view the entire fight card here. They're obviously don't host exhibition fights in fight promotions that packed out:
    http://www.twinsboxing.net/news/the_..._2007_list.htm

Yeah he's got white/grey hair for some reason. Now watch me get done for beating up old pensioners.

Here's another shot from an older fight (much lighter weight as well). Again... these are not exhibition bouts. A fight and an exhibition bout are two entirely different things.
    Exhibition bouts are to educate the public as to what happens in a particular style of fighting or to hype a fighter. So needless to say their is no
    point in KO'ing someone in an exhibition bout.
    bare knuckle yes, sport no. At first glance it looks like an amature bout, but when the guy hits the mat and stays there lol, it doesnt.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is pretty cool. I started taking some kickboxing lessons a couple of weeks ago. I've got no intentions of being a pro fighter, but it's good exercise, and I've got a ton of respect for anyone commited enough to the type of training required to compete.
    I also appreciate that you actually posted a video of your fight. A lot of people on the internet like to talk like they're martial art masters but never show the proof. Watch, in a few weeks you're probably gonna have all types of jackasses comenting on your video.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    This is pretty cool. I started taking some kickboxing lessons a couple of weeks ago. I've got no intentions of being a pro fighter, but it's good exercise, and I've got a ton of respect for anyone commited enough to the type of training required to compete.
    Good good. Yeah man I hear ya. It's not necessary to become a pro at all. It's good just to get in there and train. In an age where couch potatoes are the dominant life form it's good to strike out in different directions.

I also appreciate that you actually posted a video of your fight. A lot of people on the internet like to talk like they're martial art masters but never show the proof. Watch, in a few weeks you're probably gonna have all types of jackasses comenting on your video.
    LOL! Yeah not so sure I'd have ever gotten around to posting it. Someone sent me an e-mail with a link to it. I was sort of like... 'who is this?!?!' but turns out must be someone related to my trainer so all good I suppose. No doubt there will be a bunch of people showing up with dumb comments on YouTube. It's custome built for that. People love to talk trash when they're anonymous. One negative side effect of the internet.

Mambo