Sketchbook: Glory666's Sketchie that is a Book (Progress of a Year)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Glory666's Sketchie that is a Book (Progress of a Year)

Hey everybody, I'm new to conceptart.org and have recently finished highschool. HELL YEAH!! MORE TIME FOR MY DRAWING! Anyways, I've been drawing since I was like 6 and have loved it ever since. Next year Im hoping to go to uni and study animation. Although I'm also interested in a concept art career, so where better to start then this awesome site. Ok, ill post some of my artwork ive completed in the last 4 months.

NEW BETTER LOOKING STUFF IS AT THE END OF THE SKETCHBOOK.......PLEASE GO THERE......NOW

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Glory666; January 10th, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Recently, like a week ago, I made a breakthrough in my photoshop painting. I reckon its just a little change, but there's always room for improvment. Here is some of it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and more.............

Last edited by Glory666; January 15th, 2008 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff so far. Definitely try to be more intentional with your strokes. Sometimes going overboard on the sketchy look doesn't work well. Overall things look good, just keep doing studies and keep drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting post some more pencils if you can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome!
    man, you really did the third and fourth step before the first ^^

work on body structure, and look very, very carefully at the relations and proportions of the figure. the colors look a bit glossy altogether, i think they should give better hint of the materiality of the object. well that reminds me to do this too ^^

you dont have to take it, but its the best advice i can give.
    keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks chaotic knight, the curehead and Hanra. hanra im going to take your advice and work on it straight away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok now i was just reading comics, so obviously i was in the mood to draw comic like i know its not hardcore comic style but meh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok now today i have a plan today. a plan to study the bodies mannikan frame. I wanna get a sense of movment and some emotion only from the body. Here's the first drawing of the day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest studying anatomy more extensively; go to your public library and take out any books they have on anatomy, figure drawing, ro anything like that. Also I would suggest going through some books that have proffessional works in them, like van gogh or something. Life drawing is very, very helpful also. I suggest doing more from life than from your imagination at this point if you're serious about going to school for animation and being a concept artist.

But by all means i'm not really qualified to give this kind of advice, so you can disregard it if you want lol. Great job though, keep the pencil moving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I'm 17 too.

I like your facial studies, really cool.

I would personally like to see more in the way of traditional paintings comming from you. They'll really help when you're on photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Skrog-hey, im taking as much info and crit as possible so thanks. Im currently goin through Andrew Loomis's book 'figure drawing'. It starts off with mannikan frame. I have also been trying to do some life drawing as well, just around the town but its hard to find a place where people stay in the same position for a while. I'll keep workin at it though

AmourFonce-thats awsum! its good getting to know other artists of the same age. Im not sure what u mean by traditional but I guess its something like the first pic. And if they help in photoshop then tell me how!!!!!!

Ok now 30 seconf poses i know, scribbly like a two year old, but you dont have much time to refine your work in 30 seconds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Traditional meaning traditional medium. Like acrylics and water color and all that good jazz. Using a real pallete will totally help you when you're on the computer.

Designin' Characters all summer. Check it out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies, everytime I see studies it makes me happy. I don't remember which amazing pro on this site said it but it came from here, "Everything you do to study now won't help you for about a year." But getting in the practice of doing this stuff will help a grip, and will get you wanting to draw more and more, like a fucking crack addiction with benefits. I like the self-portraits, do some more. I'll subscribe to your thread and help you out man. Strong points I see are your digital stuff and ink work.
    Ink is fun. Use it to break barriers and choose where you want your line to go. Think shapes before you mark.

Keep it up son.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matsign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep up the good work man, keep studying and drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matsign- Thanks man, thats real inspiring its also great u subscribed to my thread....your my new hero. As for the help I will need it. I reckon i need to get a mentor ae.

Newbs- thanks for the encouragment

Ok, this is probably the last of mannikin studies for today. Tommorow I will either keep workin on males or move onto females. I also feel like starting another self portrait........

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's some more sp's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    workin on the female mannkin a bit.........alot different from the males. i call this pure shit but im makin a goal to post everything that im learning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just keep workin on those figures. I can tell your skills are growing. Keep at it, purchase some figure drawing books too. Keep sketchin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks dsg you pushed me to do these ones thanks for the encouragement

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, had to work today (yeah it sucks) but ae gets me moolah. I really REALLY want to start building up these mannikins with muscles! but as i started drawing the first couple of bodies some words from loomis caught my eye

'all the time you spend on this mannikin pays big dividends'

I'm like.......back we go. if i practise this i get better in proportion, body movement, rhythm and knowing the body in general both female and male. So im sticking with this until im god damn happy with it

Here are 90 second sketches i did with references from the posemaniacs site. its great for this sort of thing.....go there if u havn't

If your reading this, thanks and critizise meeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    draw from life all the time. Maybe ask friends to pose for you for a bit occationally? I'd suggest even taking a class just for the human figure.

Sketchbook
    DevArt

The world is filled with people who were given great natural gifts, sometimes conspicuosly flashy gifts, yet never produce anything. And when that happens, the world soon ceases to care whether they are talented.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    taboo- i live in a small australian town.......very small and i doubt there will be any classes for drawing or painting but IM GOIN TO FIND OUT TODAY!!!! Are photos considered from life? I'm not sure....

Ok, looked at my quick sketches and decided legs was the worst out of all the bodies I drew so I started workin on legs! I dont know about drawing from photos, it feels like..........cheating. Im trying to get this all stuck in my head and it hurts I'll keep workin on legs until I know them off by heart. C&C WELCOME

I know looks like chicken shit but I just needed to get the feel of the legs. I then found out proprtions and placment

Now I've added some meat. yummy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey, nice to see people my age here. Thanks for dropping by my thread, you have no idea how much it means to me.

I'd study three things: faces (particularly proportions, structure [i.e. shapes of the skull], anatomy (bones first, then muscles [me too]), and construction. Construction is super-duper easy once you realize that everything in the world is made up of shapes you learned as a kid (circles, triangles, squares, boxes, balls, pyramids, tubes, and cones) that add onto each other and form more complex things. Just don't use them as a crutch. I did that for a while and everything looked contrived and robotic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no probs eminkey2003

ok finally did some drawings from LIFE! and also have found workshops for acrylic painting except they're in Brisbane............3hrs away, SON OF A BITCH! but im determined and am asking that for the christmas present, all six of em! I am definately getting in the mood for using traditional mediums, probably becuase of all you guys comments!

Ok at the towns cafe

Now this is the clock tower, the tallest thing in town

And back in the cafe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start. My suggestions-- instead of pressing hard or scratching, try lightly layering your pen or pencil to make it darker or thicker. Soon it becomes easier to change pressure as you go. Also, try varying the time of you life drawings. They can be anywhere from 5 seconds to several hours. It's also a good idea to muster up the courage to ask people to pose for you. Sometimes, I play games with my friends, like asking them to change facial expressions every 30 seconds so I can practice that (fun for both of us!). Other times, I have people pose for 10-30 minute portraits, which really help a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you're in the same boat as me, I'm 18 as of a few months ago. Fresh out of high school, taking this time to really start cranking out some work and improve as I can.

From what I can tell, you're going too "sketchy" with things. Instead of one line defining a curve, you've got ten or twelve. Try to get more confident with your strokes so you've got a cleaner outcome.

Also as it looks like you started, might want to work on your heads. The skull structure (particularly the eye sockets and jawline) seem to be a bit off. In the paintings, like the two I assume are of yourself, you're doing some shading, grayscale. But instead of using the tones to define the shapes, it seems more just like shades and then thick black outlines.

I'd watch those black outlines, shadows are almost never entirely black, and wouldn't be so thick for simply defining something like muscles.

Good start, I'll keep watching. Good to see someone my age's work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok now i did a portrait without the sketchyness, kinda realistic. also went through the loomis books for the head and found i was doing part of the construction wrongbut its fixed now. i dont like it. was fustrated today, like couldn't draw anything. just one of those days. also looked through this guys sketchbook, forgot who it was, anyways it showed his progress from beginner to awsum man. very inspirational. would love to hear somthing inspirational to keep me goin through the hard times.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok felt inspired/determined and came up with this. no references at all, not even the style....dont know what style it is and also tried a new shading technique! I get the feeling the closest arm is wrong i know below the elbow is out of proportion but it kinda goes wit it?? I am planning to digitally paint it soon! C&C VERY WELCOME!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.