design annex lessons in cold storage (Repost)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

design annex lessons in cold storage (Repost)

Originally posted by delo:
    hey everyone, here's a link to the 'design annex' lessons i wrote for the teamgt forum, in cold storage at http://pub72.ezboard.com/fthedelopoliswebprojectfrm8 . this is more theory-oriented material rather than style or technique, but if you can find the actual partipation threads on the teamgt forums, i think you'll find that the results were very interesting. please let me know if you find these useful at all; more may be forthcoming
    thanks
    d

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by nil:
    great threads, really interesting stuff, i think it would be cool to do something similar here, say every month have a design "assignment". it would certainly help with motivation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by jezelf:
    Hi Delo.
    yes I found this very interesting.
    you made a very good point there...

" The hallmarks of both categories, the starship Enterprise on the one hand and the X-Wing on the other, have become so ingrained in the collective unconscience that they have inspired countless revisions, adaptations, and technological retrofits, so much so that the initial forms and principles are often lost, or rendered meaningless and irrelevant ."

I think there are plently of examples where the imagination is not excerised enough in design. Not just the artist, but the viewer too. In games and films alike it's getting to a dangerous level that because people are so used to seeing star wars inspired stuff that I'm concerned if they would accept anything else? the first port of call for a space ship appears to be something out of star wars/trek, and goes no further.

So deeply rooted into the populous subconcious star wars is, that anything 'new' in terms of design could be hated or rejected simply because people are so comfortable with star wars/star trek/blade runner/aliens stuff. Syd Mead has done a fantastic job - but also remember these designs (brilliant though they are) are now (other than the latest SW prequels) 15 or more years old. I liken it to car design - look at at all the concepts there. I think it would be a sorry state if car designers had stopped designing, in 1985, or kept churing over the same thing diluted. They are always competing and pushing design coming up with wonderful stuff.

I'm talking worse case scenario here, but I've been in art situation many a times where the lead artist or designer want something 'star warsy'. I'll rather take an original route. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the design of the sources you mention, nothing at all - in fact I'm influenced just as much by them, too and have to stop myself from drawing in that driection also, but why should concept design be limited in such a way?

I've always thought that if you want to 'be like' your favourite, musician/band/artist - whatever - you don't copy them - you find out their design processes/influences - go to the source. of course the best thing is to take it all on board and then try to push the envelope in your own orginal direction. I frequently practice and exercise my imagination by saying to myself 'ok - what has been done already? - ok - I wont do that.' and scrap anything that looks like it's a wannabe star wars concept.

As you suggest there's information and influence all around us - other objects used everyday like lamps, kettles, etc etc could be used as design elements for craft - or what ever that's being designed (which is the sort of design process they used for star wars anyway) - these objects people can relate to in their subconscious, but it's can still be 'new' in craft design terms.

unless people actively exercise the imagination, then we're just going to keep having diluted star wars stuff - stuff with panels on the hull included

Admittedly it is a difficult thing. your intended audience needs to relate to your concept. You make a great example at your thread. something people will be familiar with.

Of course you venture out to other concept aspects - all of which make perfect sense to me. People have to be aware , and I think the theory is more important than some may realise. so keep up the good work!

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by azjohnl:
    I thought these articles/posts were a great topic to explore. It would be interesting to do a "Challenge" section of the forums. Where someone posts an idea: creat a suite of power armor derived from nonwestern civilization or create a village/settlement build by a non humanoid race or design a dozen mutated versions of a common animal....

What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by mermuse:
    yep, design challenges are always well accepted. Keep them coming Delo!

Its always a good challenge to work under someone else's design limitations instead of always just doing your own thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ponte Thanks for reposting this:

Delo,

I like this idea! Deffinitly thinking outside the box! or actually creating a whole new box...

*goes and reads the linked thread*

Okay I read it.. well the forum. there website etc... looked through it.. I really love this idea... But you really have to have a moderator for this one.. at least someone who steps in charge that gives somewhat of a structure.. Then you can have a suggestion room of ideas or something.. and the moderator reads it and picks one for the week/month whatever.. and has the person who came up with the idea do a really indepth couple paragraphs of what needs to be developed, studied, researched, and conceptualized..

This is a really good idea for people who have spare time and want to work on there concept skillz. I would love to do this cause I dont have much concept background, and I have never worked in this industry.. would be great for my portfolio of work...

The nicest thing about it is that you have to think, and force yourself to take knowledge and adapt it to the situation.

I would love to hear whomever is intersted has to say.. cause this sounds like fun..

Also Ponte what happend with the development of a MOD for Neverwinter Nights?

Welp Im gonna crash 3am... niters

Last edited by Deth Jester; August 3rd, 2002 at 07:00 AM.
    -Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.