Sketchbook: Nothing here. Seriously.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nothing here. Seriously.

Have it your way. See for yourself

Last edited by Jason Scanlon; February 17th, 2009 at 05:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow... you have a lot of really good work here. I really like a lot of the detail you put into their faces and clothing.
    My only C&C right now would be that i would love to see you work on maybe one or two long studies... like 6-8 hours drawing the same figure or picture so that way you are able to put the same detail of the face throughout the whole character. Also if you enjoy drawing characters, maybe see some faces expressing different emotions of the same character and same with figures of the whole character. So that you would be creating a character and giving life to him/her/it by these pictures.
    Definitely keep updating!!
    Niyana

"The Lord illuminates my darkness. "
    - 2 Samuel 22:29

Sketchbook /Website

Connect with me on Facebook!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, nice too see some improvement in your sb, I havent been on in awhile. Love the line quality and rendering technique so far... Hope to meet up with you one of these days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, great ta meetcha in Seattle, how's Chicago? Cold? Heheh.

Looks like you're doing a lot of character designs. Your general gasp of the form and proportions of the figure seem good, but I think you need to get more familiar with the details of the anatomy, make things more firmly interlocked and rendered.

Also, you might want to work on building up stronger areas of value, it'll really help to communicate things more quickly and effectively, as well as making it easier for you to analyze your compositions, rein in those white spaces.

sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BludHund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey i still haven't seen him to ask but i will in a couple of weeks! sorry
    But dude you should totally keep up with the pen and/or marker , you have some pretty confident lines compared to your pencils! keep doing that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your old CHOW entry. The detail of the character is so perfect. His clothes and his movement just really work.

Do you use regular markers?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the space guy - his forearm and the gun look great! his body and his upper arm look great! but when you connected the two, you gave him a broken arm

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the Kindly Ones is tough to take. You'll realise later that it is the best book in the series tho. Nice works in your SB.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lulz. I wasn't sugarcoating it - but if you want a crit - I suggest you work on your contrast. remember that everything can be defined by four basic values: light, half light, half shade, and shadow.

I wish I could draw legs like yours.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice pencils man, I like them alot. It's great that you're productive too. I'm going to be one boring lazyass by not having much critisism to offer I guess, just keep it up. It's great that you're doing alot of life drawing though, I can tell you that.
    cheers,
    tigermilk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    with a good working knowledge of anatomy, you would be unstopable.

=================================
    Sketchbook
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120761

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like a lot these simple life drawings!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah boy! youve been drawing like crazy! Its amazing how much we all inspired each other at Revelations. I really like your life studies. great work, keep it up!

christ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool shit! Really digging the life work, you have a sharp eye! Stop by some time, lots of new stuff!

christ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome sketchbook, cheers for dropping by mine!
    Love the life drawings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some great work here. real fast and flowing sketch work you have keep it up.
    looks like your trying to pull off the shapes without setting yourself guidelines....if that makes sense?
    i mean not using a skelington figure to work around for some of the figures. like your just getting the basic format of the figures. i'm blabering
    basicly i like it.

"Fire walk with me"

Dream Solver: Graphic Novel

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn dude..... every time i look through here, it blows my fucking mind how you can draw so well with so few lines!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some really nice sketches you have. nice and fluid and loose. from your first post through to the last you can see your toning the skill up and getting tighter.
    love the last sketch of of the side view of the girl at the desk.
    great work. a true sketchbook going on here! keep it up

"Fire walk with me"

Dream Solver: Graphic Novel

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man...sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye after the workshop. I think your depressingly rainy-sleety-snowy Chi-town weather has invaded PA this week...everything is just gray.

Where's the updates? Don't make me PM you 1,000 times!

What's the deal with the 'Nobody' custom user title? Hmmm? That's bullsh*t man, don't be like that...your number-one fatal flaw is lack of self confidence. Change that title to Bad*ss motherf*cker or something like that, you gotta verbalise success, not failure...you ARE somebody, unless you don't want to be, OK?

Looking at your sketchbook again I had forgotten how good your rendering is. Also, your figures are pretty good, they all have very real-life proportions. In fact, your overall grasp of form is pretty good, you just need to tighten up your lines, make everything connect up and overlap more clearly.

A lot of your stuff suffers from being too small, not being fully rendered, or from having uneccesarily shaky lines. On the other hand, other pieces show that you can have precise lines and smooth rendering when you put the time and effort into it. Be more aggressive...commit to a big, ambitious piece, then push it as far as it will go.

Delve into color. If you don't have Photoshop and a tablet, either get them, or invest in a traditional alternative like gauche or pastels. I really see no reason why it wouldn't pay off big time if you put the effort into it.

That Hermes Trismegistus piece is really cool, and doesn't seem to lack anything except TO BE FINISHED. Why let a good idea die on the vine? The worst you can do is screw it up, and believe me, its much worse not to try.

so: don't stop short, go bold, go bigger, add some color, commit to your art. If you're stuck for ideas, draw inspiration from the things you love...bury yourself in the stimulus of real-life reference material, then apply that to your studies and projects. The only one stopping you is you.

sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason,

What is up bud? Evanston, wow man I grew up in Park Ridge. Thanks again for the props on the toons in my sketchbook. You were looking for advice on finishing pieces. I'm still a novice myself but I'll fill you in on how I go about it. We'll get to that though.

Firstly, and don't take this the wrong way, anatomy. I can tell you draw from life a lot which is great, but the proportions are off on quite a few sketches. I think you would benefit greatly by studying the human form, and not just hands, or feet, or arms, but how everything relates to everything else. Look at proportions. Pull back from those sketches and ask yourself, "well the face looks great, but how does it look as a whole?" Also the gesture like lines have a nice effect but your cheating yourself out of potentially much stronger drawings. The fast outlines show you are implying something is their, but you need to define it. Cartooning was my first love, and with that comes alot of outlines. When I began painting more traditional figures I had a bitch of a time. Then I saw a tutorial about going out it like a sculptor. Wireframe skeleton, start blocking in shapes, establish values....and then LASTLY details. It works well, and my work certainly ha improved using this method. In particular the sketch of the of the soldier with his back to us holding the gun (1st set below the preliminary extinguisher sketches) was a good one, fully rendered, nice volume and weight there.

In terms of finishing a piece, well I think the key to this is to have an idea of what your finishing before you start. Sketch out some thumbs. Take a hard look at composition, balance, focal points, etc. This can't be stressed enough and was pretty hard for me to grasp at first. Plan it out, that way when you start working you can go in with some confidence and a plan! With the enviro's I did, I used photo ref's whenever possible. I work in greyscale first to setup values and block in the big stuff. It's tempting to start adding in alot of detail, but I find you lose sight of the overall piece, so save that for later. Once the piece begins to take shape start slapping down some color, and off you go. Also I think it's ok to make mistakes, a lot of time with previous pieces I setup mental barriers and if I saw an inspiring photo or at the coffee shop saw a great scene I wanted to paint it was almost like brain overload. I could see it, but I didn't even know where to begin. One day I just said "f -it, in I'm gonna paint this, simplified everything break the scene down the same way you if you were drawing a face. At the same time though, don't get frustrated if things aren't going your way, or if you feel you're losing that vision.....work through it!!! I can't tell you how many times I was on the verge of scrapping something and I just kept at it, and the end result turned out pretty nice.

You're on the right path, I can see the talent and potential is there. Push yourself, try new things, keep at it, and never be satisfied. Your next piece will always be better than your last.

Best Regards,

Tim

Last edited by t i m; January 23rd, 2009 at 03:17 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.