Public Schooling in California?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Public Schooling in California?

First off, I'm leaning towards specializing in illustration, but I'm not exactly sure what I want to do for a career. Secondly, my top tangible choice for art schooling is Otis College- I was impressed not only with the produced student works there, but the conceptual projects that were assigned (ie, taking Lord of the Rings and setting it in Feudal Japan)...

But private art schooling seems like a risky investment when a career in the commercial art field seems pretty uncertain. Having to pay back all that schooling money after I find myself without a job seems very unappealing. I heard so many stories of kids who graduated from private art schools and ended up having to go back for more schooling that it almost makes me want to give up the idea of going to any private college altogether...

... So, my alternative plan was to look into public schooling. I heard that the illustration program at Cal State Long Beach was quite strong. I also heard a lot of commercial artists and professors studied there as well. I took a student tour over to their campus, but the only student works that I've seen were from Graphic Design. I plan on paying them another visit this semester.

UCLA seems to be another option (only because I have the notion that UCLA is good at nearly everything and it also looks great on the resume even if it is BA in fine arts). I wasn't particularly impressed with the student works that I saw, but I did hear that the program is strong over there, as well.

Someone mentioned that I should look at UCSD out of the blue. :confused:

Can anyone confirm or suggest any schools? The more comments, the better... It'll reaffirm that I'm making the right decision. Thanks! :chug:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've talked to a few people about this matter, if you are looking for a good UC or state school, I would suggest looking into Cal State Fullerton. The overall problem with state schools is the art program usually makes you take a series like 1A B 1C. Though these are meant to teach you "to draw" most of the times its a more conceptual, theory class and the classes are so big the teachers just say "that's nice " and move on. I graduated form UC Irvine in Studio art and that was my experience.

However, there is still hope. I'm not saying Fullerton does not do this, fortunately, the current art Director embraces the traditional learning of drawing and draftsmanship. There is also a counter-culture there, a community of students that also believe in the old way of schooling and illustration. There are going to be those classes where you'll roll your eyes at, but with awesome visiting artists like Marshall Vandruff, and other students into the "true" learning of illustration, i think it would be your best bet at public schooling.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot. I'll check it out... Interest fact- Cal State Long Beach and Fullerton are sister schools.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I'm currently taking my third year of community college. The art classes that I'm enrolled in right now are Life Drawing B, Asian Art History, and Background Illustration (Non-Transferable). So far, the art classes that I have under my belt are:

Life Drawing A
    Painting A
    3D Design
    Color & Design
    Drawing Composition A
    Art History B
    Art History A

So hopefully, those transfer nicely along with my general classes...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey feels,
    If you are still planning to go to a university/cal state, try and get all of you GE's out of the way. Find out which classes transfer and take them. Its beter to spend less money on classes you won't really need and more money on the classes for your actual degree.

Of course keep up with your art learning, but if you can get those darn GE's over and done with.

-take care,
    LBB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, yeah, although I didn't directly mention it, I've been clearing out all my GEs. Thanks anyway. I'm pretty sure Long Beach State is the school I'm shooting towards.

"During youth, the desire for self-expression is so overpowering that most people end up by losing all grasp on their real selves." - Akira Kurosawa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

LA Public Schools

Los Angeles Trade Tech is a pretty darn good graphics school. Its near USC and next to the Staples Center. Their Faculty are also experienced and fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i heard SF state has one of the best animation labs in CA, and definatly of the state colleges.

" 'You might want to sit down..this is going to feel unpleasantly like being drunk'
    'Whats so bad about being drunk?'
    'Ask a glass of water' "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would avoid UCSD. Their art classes arent really geared towards illustration IMO. Figure out what you want to do and how badly do you want it. How far are you willing to travel and how much money are you willing to spend to get the skills? Financial aid is available for acredited schools and it's not that hard to get some aid in a variety of forms.

I know that college can be expensive, but think of it as being an investment in your future and envison the type of life you will have doing the things you want. Fully commit to what you want and don't try to think about not getting a job after you graduate. The fact is, every profession is hard to get into and a 4 year degree is no guarantee of a job upon graduation. Even a 4 year degree and work experience is no guarantee of getting a job. The best chance you have is to get your skills up and then hustle to network with people already in the industry. That's true of any industry/profession you want to work in. Find the school that you think will get you the best skills.

Dzu

Members who have read this thread: 2