Help with digital painting techniques
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help with digital painting techniques

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help with digital painting techniques

I've been very interested in concept art for some time now, and practically trained myself to do it. Long spent hours researching, perspective, up to 4 point, human proportion, architecture weapons, foliage and landscaping, but up until now I have just been using PrismaColor markers. I do have Photoshop and Gimp (depending on which workstation I'm at.) And I do know about already posted forums and I have read some of these on this matter. But I do want to know, what's the best way to start when you've just gotten used to the basic brushes, colors and key points?

Textures, etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

--magnel

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it seems you are on the right track: basically the best way to start IS by keep using the basic brushes! I'm assuming that you know your color theory well, so you've got the colors covered. About digital key points, well, I think you should familiarize yourself with one concept: using layers. Photoshop does this extremely well, and once you master it, digital work will be as easy for you as working with prismas. About textures, I would suggest you use them with moderation: at least don't make your work look like you blatantly put the texture into multiply mode and did nothing else too make the "whole" of the image have a harmonious visual balance. Also, learn how to make your own brushes and modify the brush options settings. It's another great Photoshop tool to master. Also learn how to use the Image Adjustment Tools... they are just remarkable, and let you do things that in traditional media is practically impossible. Hue/Saturation, Levels, Curves, Gradient Map, etc... they are one of those reasons that digital is pleasant to work with. One last tip: mix media: do something with your markers, scan it, and complement it with advances that digital editing offers. A lot of pro's work that way, which is really smart thinking (specially if your traditional skills are very good).

About what not to do, well don't use filters! avoid them as much as possible... some can get useful, like gaussian or motion blur, but don't get too tempted with their results... try to achieve as much as possible with out these types of tools: if it's badly done, then your work will adquire the dreaded digital deviant-artish look that kills the entire image. It's not good. If your digital image doesn't look digitally made (like if people tell you which traditional media you used to make it), then I think it's a good sign that your work has the classic traditional polish, which people respect. You don't want people thinking you just filtered a photograph or something.

greetings!
    GriNgOLoCo

Last edited by GriNGo; November 16th, 2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added one last observation....
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GriNGo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, I truly appreciate it. Yes I do know and understand color theory, and traditional arts as well, just taking that step into the digital age.

Well thanks again.

--magnel

Members who have read this thread: 1