Art: Book Cover Update / the last 6 months *now w/cover sketches*

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Book Cover Update / the last 6 months *now w/cover sketches*

Threaded View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Book Cover Update / the last 6 months *now w/cover sketches*

Been posting my images all over, so might as well update this ancient thread. New images towards bottom.

First is part 1 & 2 of the trilogy, The Mysterious Mr.Spines, by Jason Lethcoe.
    The first cover is called WINGS, and the second cover is called, FLIGHT - to be published by Penguin Books USA, Grossett & Dunlap. Both images started off in oils on board, and then I added, tweaked and embellished digitally. I love working this way. It allows me to move fast, and I still maintain a lot of that traditional look I love from oils. I'll try to work this way any chance time permits.

Next cover is for Night Shade Books, called Fast Ships, Black Sails. It's a collection of pirate stories with a fantasy/sci-fi edge. The other two images are just some fun things I did for myself.
    Although most of this work is already heading to the printers (or been printed) , feel free to drop me a crit or comment. I genuinely always appreciate it.

Also I'll be at the new artists' convention, ILLUXCON, Nov. 6-9 in Altoona,Pennsylvania. I'll be there selling prints and a few originals. Be sure to check out the guest list on the website- tons of killer artists are going to be there. I believe Justin Sweet will be doing demos too.

edit: added sketches for Mr.Spines:FLIGHT book and Fast Ships, Black Sails
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

4.22.08-
    I should start by apologizing for not responding to all the replies last time I posted. I'm a jerk. Sometimes a man just gets caught up in his work - or something.

Well, today I am having a hard time of focusing on my deadlines, so I figured I would update this with some old work that has just been released. I must admit to being reluctant to show my Shadowmoor and WoW cards after Ralph Horsley and rustybaby (Dave Kendall) have posted theirs, but perhaps it will motivate me to kick it up next time. All crits are always welcome .

Lastly- thanks to the fellow CA.ers who paid me a visit at the Wizards of the Coast booth during NY Comic Con. It was my first time doing something like that and the familiar names provided me with much nerve-calming comfort.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Been over a year since I last posted art here I believe.
    You all know how it is.......

For Night Shade Books- "The Mall of Cthulhu"
    The challenge here was to mix the comedic nature of the book with
    the more serious horror. I think fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Evil Dead and obviously Lovecraft will get a kick out of this book.

The other images are from a children's book being published by McGraw Hill/ Silver Editions. Not a full children's book. They just wanted a cover and some spots, really. A little difference in style from my usual work- brighter, more saturated colors - a little more cartoonish. Also needed to leave more room on top for type just in case you were wondering why there was so much negative space.

I'll try and post more in the future. Comments and crits always appreciated.
    -{s*a}-

Edit: Here are the sketches sent in for the Cthulhu cover, and some details.
    In the Arthur & the Sword cover, I loved the idea that surrounding the sword there would be all these decorative carvings in the tree, but it got away from the story for the publisher. I did hint at though if you look closely...perhaps I'll work that idea into another piece one day.

Attached Images Attached Images                                      
    Last edited by scott*altmann; November 4th, 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: additional images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scott*altmann For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.