Art: Book Cover Update / the last 6 months *now w/cover sketches*

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Book Cover Update / the last 6 months *now w/cover sketches*

Been posting my images all over, so might as well update this ancient thread. New images towards bottom.

First is part 1 & 2 of the trilogy, The Mysterious Mr.Spines, by Jason Lethcoe.
    The first cover is called WINGS, and the second cover is called, FLIGHT - to be published by Penguin Books USA, Grossett & Dunlap. Both images started off in oils on board, and then I added, tweaked and embellished digitally. I love working this way. It allows me to move fast, and I still maintain a lot of that traditional look I love from oils. I'll try to work this way any chance time permits.

Next cover is for Night Shade Books, called Fast Ships, Black Sails. It's a collection of pirate stories with a fantasy/sci-fi edge. The other two images are just some fun things I did for myself.
    Although most of this work is already heading to the printers (or been printed) , feel free to drop me a crit or comment. I genuinely always appreciate it.

Also I'll be at the new artists' convention, ILLUXCON, Nov. 6-9 in Altoona,Pennsylvania. I'll be there selling prints and a few originals. Be sure to check out the guest list on the website- tons of killer artists are going to be there. I believe Justin Sweet will be doing demos too.

edit: added sketches for Mr.Spines:FLIGHT book and Fast Ships, Black Sails
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

4.22.08-
    I should start by apologizing for not responding to all the replies last time I posted. I'm a jerk. Sometimes a man just gets caught up in his work - or something.

Well, today I am having a hard time of focusing on my deadlines, so I figured I would update this with some old work that has just been released. I must admit to being reluctant to show my Shadowmoor and WoW cards after Ralph Horsley and rustybaby (Dave Kendall) have posted theirs, but perhaps it will motivate me to kick it up next time. All crits are always welcome .

Lastly- thanks to the fellow CA.ers who paid me a visit at the Wizards of the Coast booth during NY Comic Con. It was my first time doing something like that and the familiar names provided me with much nerve-calming comfort.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Been over a year since I last posted art here I believe.
    You all know how it is.......

For Night Shade Books- "The Mall of Cthulhu"
    The challenge here was to mix the comedic nature of the book with
    the more serious horror. I think fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Evil Dead and obviously Lovecraft will get a kick out of this book.

The other images are from a children's book being published by McGraw Hill/ Silver Editions. Not a full children's book. They just wanted a cover and some spots, really. A little difference in style from my usual work- brighter, more saturated colors - a little more cartoonish. Also needed to leave more room on top for type just in case you were wondering why there was so much negative space.

I'll try and post more in the future. Comments and crits always appreciated.
    -{s*a}-

Edit: Here are the sketches sent in for the Cthulhu cover, and some details.
    In the Arthur & the Sword cover, I loved the idea that surrounding the sword there would be all these decorative carvings in the tree, but it got away from the story for the publisher. I did hint at though if you look closely...perhaps I'll work that idea into another piece one day.

Attached Images Attached Images                                      
    Last edited by scott*altmann; November 4th, 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: additional images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scott*altmann For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    very cool, scott! i especially love how you handled the creature in the first one. and the transition from sunny to snowy in the second one is gorgeous! :-D

Thanks
    Nice, Nice, Nice! I like all of them
    In term of mixing two different feeling, I think you have done it really great!
    Thanks for posting!

Thanks
    Awesome!!! I love these Scott.
    Last one is fantastic, the graphic flowers, stylization, texture and expression work fantastic together.

Cheers

Thanks
    hey scott, im really impressed by the tonality of the figures in shadow (in the first image) they are visible enough, yet dont detract from the central focus. well done!

Thanks
    Nice to see some new stuff from you, Scott! I really like the first piece - the texture on that cthulu is awesome.

Thanks
    Awesome paintings. The octopus looks freaking cool!

Sketchbook
    All critics/comments are much appriciated

Thanks
    thats nuts man, i really like the quality on them both. The colors and characters are great!

Thanks
    Scotty the hottie,

great stuff mang! I love it, love it, love it.

That's you on the The Mall of Cthulhu cover isn't it? You just took a reference pic of yourself first thing in the morning, right?

I like the graphic look of the blossoms on cover with the boys portrait. Well done.

Thanks
    the girl in the bottom left of the cthulhu piece looks like my sister! you sod!
    i kid (perhaps...) i love the feel to all of these, at the same time serious and illustrative, yet somehow cute and very appealing
    perhaps once i nap i can think of something more constructive to say dear sir.

see ya satuhday?

Thanks
    You rule Scotty! Love the first one, that octopus is badass

Thanks
    Some of your best colour work here mate, nice one. I love the green/blue hue shift on the second one; it could have looked awkward and abrupt, but you've pulled it off with skill. The first one's my favourite though.

No crits spring to mind.

Pete

Thanks
    These are wicked Scott! Always good to see yer stuff!

Thanks
    Very groovy, Scott.

Great things happening in all three, but I particularly enjoy the children's book illos. Your lush rendering mixes really well with the stylised forms of the character.

Cover and some spots, you wrote. Got some more of those to show us, perhaps?

Thanks
    Those children's illustrations are really great. I love the colors and rendering.

Thanks
    loooooooooooooomerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Great to see the quality work, and really good to see you back.

Thanks
    Dear friend,

I have told you this before but you sir are amazing. A true gentleman and a scholar to boot.

ass pats all around! pld:

Thanks
    The cthulhululylhu piece is completely awesome, and your colors overall throughout all three of these pieces has me taking some notes. Maybe not notes, actually, but they kinda are even if I'm just drawing your name over and over with a heart around it.

Thanks
    Those are some awsome color choices.

Thanks
    Hello, dear ! You kept your promise, wonderful. I'm glad you are posting again! A lot of changes in how you express your ideas now, but I recognize your hand in each of this pictures. They all look very personal. You know, like you individually had chosen every nose, and cheek and eye, from a big mental library of psychological personalities and then stylized them.
    I can tell each character went through a strict judgment of your own taste. From the way how you draw your character I can see your own independent, unbendable personality... polite but going your own individual way... Right, I found the word... your images carry your love to individualism, you don't like to follow...Your characters don't remind me any other artist.

And there is always something very domestic, very intimate in your images. Your characters are not showy, but they have soul and endurance.

I would like to write some critique to you, it will be in dissonance with the rest of the comments of the very respected by me and accomplished artists, unfortunately, but I write to you because I love your art and want you to know what I see as the most attractive and strong features of it, which only you have, unique, and what I think interferes with your individuality shining in a full power.
    As I said your art is very intimate. Your strongest side is delicacy, subtlety... even when your color are mature and bold, you remain to be very strict in color tones. Another strong side is generosity, rich imagination, truthfulness of the character, love to details, and the fact that you see your character in all his/ her everyday's life.
    I see it as a fabric weaved by your imagination and memories from your childhood association, books you read, stories you imagined... it feels integrate and organic... it demands an accurate and thoughtful approach.

Because of that I just can't connect these individually created personalities with the overused market approved colors and tricks. I'm closed minded probably, but I can't frame the old-fashioned precious stone with history and ghost hiding in the depth of it into a modern, conveyor made surroundings.

I wish those unique characters lived in their own individually created world. If I could I would say let other artists place their creatures in neon and artificial colors... your creatures need to live in natural, subtle world, filled with smells of old moss and forest flowers, with old-fashioned cuckoo at day and gruesome owl at night.

Another thing... your art's loveliness is in its hidden surprises, which one needs to look closer and enjoy them... Why for example you posted the image of little boy in the wonderful forest in such a small size that I can't even see what kind of flowers bloomed after the magic happened.
    I'm pretty confident that you felt with all your heart the harmony of all negative space between the trees, all of graceful shapes, you put a lot of thoughts and beauty into them... and if life is fair... we on another, receiving end should feel it and submerge in pleasure... Instead you reduce image to the minimum and put emphasize on the boring standard saturated light from the glowing sword... I want to enjoy the beauty and richness of melting snow on the ground... you drag me to see the whitish light...
    I know you had a client... but it is kind of sad.

Hope you will not be too angry at me, I hope I will not spoil anything to you...very nice people here in this thread love everything I criticize. My words don't mean much.
    -------------------
    I want to say that the best image of the year from you is the painting of the woman in the lovely green domestic dress comforting little creature, "Crawler cradle"... it is impeccably beautiful and people who didn't see it.. well... they skipped a very beautiful thing. I feel sorry for them. I adore it. It is soft and powerful in its gentle beauty. To sing a melody gently is harder. You did it masterfully. It doesn't look like anyone's influence or legacy, it is your own and unique creation from your heart and soul..
    Hope you and yours are doing great. I love how they present in all your creations.

Last edited by sve; November 15th, 2007 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks

Thanks
    Merveilleux !
    Last one is really great, love your use of texture. Second one is maybe my favorite for the comp' and mood. What medium are you using for these ? Digital ? Traditional ? A mix of both ?
    Keep posting the magic.
    Julien.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Drink a good home made coffee and slay monsters, it's not a bad idea.
    Congratulation for making me happy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Smashing stuff Scott. Like the colour palettes a lot. The composition on the third one is my fav. I know it's probably for text, but the use of 'negative' space can really balance things up.

Thanks
    Hey mate, missed you today at SOI, for the discussion. Are you super busy? No time for a pleine air painting session? Id gladly make the trek out to your place.

Killer pieces too.Oils or digi?
    Its hard to tell with you!

Cheers Tim

Last edited by timpaatkins; November 15th, 2007 at 07:30 AM.
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Lovely work, mate. 5ive from me.

Thanks
    Great work mate. Easily 5 big ones from me

Thanks
    I love them, especially the second one with the lush colours framed by the ice and snow.

Thanks
    Wow- the response is really unexpected. Thank you all for looking, not to mention writing comments. Too kind of you.
    I will respond with replies later, but I just wanted to say thank you for now, and I added some preliminary sketches and details to check out.
    cheers-s*a

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    you know I love you scott..
    beautiful work mate!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.