Rabbit Emotions
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Rabbit Emotions

Celeste21 is offline "The Stars Look Very Different Today" Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Wild and Wonderful West VIrginia, the southern part among all the beautiful state parks
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rabbit Emotions

I've posted before, but not for awhile. The craziness of life got in the way for awhile, lol.

This is part of my theme for my senior undergrad show. Illustrating animals sharing emotions with humans. I want to dissconnect prejudice, bias and misconceptions about the range of emotions animals can feel and help convey them to people who have a hard time understanding this. I want people to suffer or feel joy with an animal, not just about it. This isn't some avid animal rights thing, I just love the raw, honest emotions that animals exhibit, and think that the human race could greatly benefit if we recognized such honesty more often.
    Works generally show some exaggeration in one quality or another with the animal, and the angles and cropping, really composition overall, is of huge concern. They will be slightly stylized.
    Here is a rabbit seconds before slaughter, not attacking slaughtering rabbits, just showing a moment in time. For those of you who don't know, a rabbit is suspended upside down, held by its feet, for its neck to be snapped before slaughter.
    I am on a rabbit binge right now, thinking about them in art constantly. I have a couple pets as well, who make great models lol. This one is Pen and Ink.
    I simply cannot make up my mind about whether or not to add color in the form of watercolor over the pen and ink. That is sort of the theme of the other works I intend to propose for the show; pen and ink with water color wash. Sometimes the watercolor is slight and subtle, other times it is more bold. It just depends on how much the pen and ink may need added to it. (this is a semester or two in the future, so I have plenty of time to refine and/or redue drawings.) But the rabbit is one that I am debating over with the color. I think it would help bring out certain features like the eyes if I added color in the right places, and make more clear a light source, then again it seems somewhat striking as it is. I keep going back and forth. If I do not add color, I will surely be adding a bit with the pen and ink, like depth to the inside of the right ear. What do you all think?

"Let the human mind loose. It must be loose. It will be loose. Superstition and dogmatism cannot confine it." -John Adams
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One approach that could incorporate both might be to do the pen and ink works on toned paper and then punch the values like inside the ear further with the ink.

Maybe you can do parts of the fur in sepia but use the really black ink in certain interest areas such as the eyes.

The watercolor might be fine too, as long as your ink is indelible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dry media such as pastel might be another approach. (Sorry to the admins for the double post. I hit the post reply button by accident when I meant to go to a navigation button.)

Celeste21 is offline "The Stars Look Very Different Today" Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Wild and Wonderful West VIrginia, the southern part among all the beautiful state parks
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The toned paper is a good idea, like on a tan colored paper or something like that. I just can't make up my mind if it would be more striking and eye catching like it is or with some watercolor in there, though I think I may have made the pen and ink too detailed for much color. DOn't know yet...

"Let the human mind loose. It must be loose. It will be loose. Superstition and dogmatism cannot confine it." -John Adams

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.