Sketchbook: Stovies Stuff *Updated 05/03/12*
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stovies Stuff *Updated 05/03/12*

*Newer stuff towards the bottom of the page.*

Hi been lurking around here for a while and only now decided to start a wee sketchbook, most of the stuff i have at the mo is a couple of years old. My most recent work is still at my ex girlfriends house so fingers crossed i get it back soon. Only really work in pencils or occassionaly biro pen. The guy with the skulls was done around 5 years ago im planning on redoing him now im a bit older and more mature. Any comments welcome, Im hoping this will give me the kick up the ass i need to start producing new work. PS the scanner im using isnt the best

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Last edited by Stovieheed; March 5th, 2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

A few more none of these are finished work, not by a long shot i know i have a lot of anatomy problems as well but its been a while since i did any life drawing. Most of the Biro sketches were done during quiet spells at work.

Last edited by Stovieheed; July 11th, 2010 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like i wont be getting my sketchbooks back from the Ex, she torched them! A woman scorned and all that, means i have to start afresh which i suppose is a good thing.

Craig

Stop your grinning and drop your linen! Found them!

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110725

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ouch! Bummer about the torched sketchbooks: ::

Nice start to this sketchbook, though. This one is particularly effective in the way the shading gives a 3D sense of form: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1197509654

For anatomy work, lots of folks swear by Bridgman's books. I've had better luck with Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing and Dynamic Anatomy books. They've got the right level of detail for me, plus he shows how the muscle work in various poses - something you don't get out of your typical anatomy atlas. If you want some other links, you can see my page on Delicious. http://del.icio.us/scottmcd/drawing

I see you're in Scotland. I'd love to visit there at some point, though with the "McD" folks might classify me as one of those Americans come back to trace their heritage. My dad has actually joined Clan Donald and taken up the pipes. Me, I prefer Mago de Oz, the Celtic Metal band from Spain.

Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Scott's Sketchbook: Check out my sketchbook. Will swap C&Cs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to scottmcd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the reply, that dragon is actually one of the most recent drawings ive done,i work shifts at a hospital so dont get a lot of free time,most of the characters ive posted are around 4/5years old as said my more recent work ended up in a tin bucket with half a bottle of vodka!!! You cant beat the massed pipes and drums really gets the blood going! My aunt actually moved out to L.A. when she was younger and ive always wanted to visit the states. Nothing wrong with Americans coming back to trace there heritage it lets you know who you are.

Thanks for the heads up with the anatomy books as well,a nurse at work gave me an anatomy book but it was obviously meant soley for medical use. Still has some really interesting stuff in it though. Ill update this in the next couple of weeks as im working on some projects just now.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice ideas,but the proportions are weird in all of them.I recomend you a lot of anatomy studies.All of us...or almost all of us,had the same problems with proportions.Just take a look at you pics when finished and think about the proportions.For example,the first one,have you ever seen a woman with such a small arm?No?So why don´t you erase and remake it?That´s the learning process!
    Keep drawing!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Camara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thank you, these are all older works but your right there is a lot wrong with them. This is the reason i started this SB to get some proper feedback, i have a group of awesome mates but they know nothing about art so when they see a drawing ive done they shower me in praise but cant pick out the leg thats too long or as you quite rightly pointed out the freaky tiny arm Ill post some more up to date work as soon as i have it, im in the process of reworking ' Redemption Denied ' but i think ill have another go at the female as well.

My Sketchbook

Paperdoll is offline ...is craving some sponge cake Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stovieheed View Post
    Looks like i wont be getting my sketchbooks back from the Ex, she torched them! A woman scorned and all that, means i have to start afresh which i suppose is a good thing.

Craig

Ouch XD and yuppers, I know the feeling of having friends' criticism... good for the ego, but bad for proper advancement XD

Anyway I'll repeat what others said but your main issue does seem to be proportions overall. Grasp those and you can kick ass, well at least by my standards XD I do adore your shading and some of your designs (the girl with the skull head thing... love) and is that Raziel I see there? :p

Anyway yes I'd say look out for some anatomy books and some info on proportions, which is something you can easily find on the internet, just a few basic guidelines that can get you started and that once you get used to them... well you won't be able to live without them XD

As for the first drawing, more specifically, well look at your own body. Your elbows are more or less at the level of your waist or, if you will, at the end of your ribcage. Use the figure's head as a measure and look up some pictures in the intraweb and measure them using their heads. How many heads are their arms? And legs? And how do they all measure up against each other?

Sorry I can't be of more help but that's mainly what helped me understand proportions etc so hopefully it can be of some help to you

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paperdoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, yeah that was a colour study of someone based on Raziel i love that game totally immersed myself in it for weeks!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time for an update, I'd love to see what you can come up with today.

Welcome to CA btw, even though you've been here for a while according to your post on that other forum

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok,
    Looong time no post but real life had me by the short and curlies for a while there. I recently aquired a Trust tablet and a copy of Photoshop so feeling inspired decided to have a go at learning how to use this new medium. I started by scanning a couple of older works and attempting to finish one and redesign another. Still trying to get the hang of the Tablet and PS but C+C welcome

Last edited by Stovieheed; October 22nd, 2010 at 11:38 AM.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple more rough WIPs. The skull knight guy was just me playing around with textures and trying out some eerie lighting.

Last edited by Stovieheed; December 21st, 2010 at 05:07 PM.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few WIP for my CHoW entry. Conquest The First Horseman of the Apocalypse

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few of my more recent fan works since I havent been on here In aaaaagggess! Mosty still WIP

Last edited by Stovieheed; July 22nd, 2011 at 06:54 PM.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on the Pred.

Really not had much time for any work lately but that will hopefully be changing soon as Im looking for a new job.

My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.