Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Damn man I think you're on to a new art movement with those portable fans,hah. Oh man I'm really liking the gritty look of this comic style you are going for.
    Sketchbook!! Please help me improve!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=107078

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Kidape: Get a chance to check out the Barber dvd yet?

I switched to a mechanical pencil for this life drawing session to try to tighten up the drawing a bit. It's slower, but more precise than the charcoal pencil. I think the results are ok.

Attachment 449773
    Attachment 449774
    Attachment 449776

A buddy of mine just moved in with an editor at DC Comics, so I've been drawing comic book stuff. You know, carpe diem and all. I'm trying to figure out how I'd draw a Batman comic.

Attachment 449777
    Attachment 449778
    Attachment 449779

A bit like this, but you know, better is what I'm going for.

Attachment 449780

Thanks
    I think you're going in the right direction with this, Tom, but I can tell you're not totally satisfied so here's my two cents of crits.

The first panel is the strongest in terms of clarity, you're only using 3-4 midrange values here which has a nice pastel quality. Was that intentional? I'm curious if pushing the darks and lights would strengthen it overall though.
    The main problem with this panel is that despite the pictorial clarity, batman's silhouette is difficult to see. I'd try reworking the composition so that the vanishing point lands on the window where batman is perched, or until he is more visible. I understand you're trying to be subtle about it, but the viewer shouldn't have to work to decipher the story. Is there a hand on the front figure's shoulder? There's a lot of ambiguity here, remember comics are visual storytelling and telling a clear story with pictures is your biggest priority.

Is the next panel a view of a guard atop a building? Again, the viewer needs more visual information.

3rd Panel. The figure is more successful here however the hand needs work, study hands in that pose. I'd spend a little more time on how the light touches the arms as well.

The final panel is strong. I like the way you're abstracting the background but the pose needs some adjustment. Granted there's not just a single way to execute a flying kick but generally the non-extended hand is tucked back and the outstretched leg is fully extended. The forward hand is generally clinched but that's a personal choice. It also seems like you're changing some proportions to squeeze the figure into the panel. More planning! I know you don't like to use reference but on a complex pose like this I'd recommend it.

In terms of handling, I find the charcoal drawing of batman to be the strongest out of all of these. You might want to consider going back to traditional materials for this since that's what you've worked with longest. Also in general the eye areas of most of the figures could use more attention.

Hope this helps!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to M0RS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, it's really not clear what's going on is it? I'm going to have to go back to layouts for this this. I think I'll have to do a pencil drawing and work with photoshop on top of that. Tighten up. I was trying to avoid scanning, but I find it really difficult to draw with the tablet. Layering on texture I'm fine with, but the drawing is difficult.

Thanks
    Pencils should help you tighten those edges back up and clarify your forms. Look forward to seeing it!

Btw, do you know when life drawing at daugherty is held?

Thanks
    This is a great start Tom, and I think you should continue with this technique to see how just how much it improves.

Thanks
    MORS: Thanks for the great crits man! And no, I don't know about the life drawing at the Daugherty

Kidape: I think I will continue drawing pages like this. I want to get better at the comic book stuff and I want to get better with digital. Kill two birds with one stone.

I've got a bunch of stuff to post tonight. Pages from my sketchbook and some life drawings.

#1 A near-future idea for a guy in a suit. I figure the mandarin collar could come into style with the rising influence of the east.
    Attachment 453896
    #2 What's better than Batman? Batman with a sword.
    Attachment 453897
    #3 Batman with a really long arm. I like the face and torso though.
    Attachment 453898
    #4 Space chick
    Attachment 453899
    #5 Intentionally ridiculous
    Attachment 453900
    #6 Satan and Friends
    Attachment 453901
    Life drawings, the first one was an hour. The rest 1/2 hour
    Attachment 453904Attachment 453906Attachment 453910Attachment 453913

Thanks
    Very nice, are you doing these batman drawings without reference? I do see the improvements in your portraits, looking good.

Thanks
    Kidape: Thanks for stopping by. I did have a reference for the sword one. It was of a guy holding a sword. The shot was from the waist up. But I'm not looking at pictures of Batman or anything.

Here's something I did tonight. Anatomy and wacom practice in one. It's referenced from Sarah Simblet's Anatomy for the Artist. The one with all the nude photographs of incredibly attractive people. Maybe 2 - 2 1/2 hours. I think it's a step forward in terms of rendering solid forms digitally.

Attachment 455636

Thanks
    That's the way to do it, seek reference for poses and then use that little information to shape your character. Eventually you'll have to rely on refs less and less, at least that's what i hear,hah.
    Wait, are you talking about a pr0n magazine? lol,jk. Man this awesome, doing a digi, color,and anatomy study. Love the dynamic torso and the subtle greens that are in the skin tone. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Kidape: Good seeing you at life drawing tonight. That dude had some mad modeling skills. A strap so he could strike really dramatic poses? That's something I've never seen before. And he looked like a samauri.

First up: Life Drawings

Attachment 458897Attachment 458898Attachment 458899Attachment 458900

Next: Practice digital, referenced from a still frame of Chinatown. If you haven't seen that movie, I highly recommend it. It may be my favorite movie of all time.

Attachment 458903

Last: The best thing about life drawings, at least as messy as I do them, is they get a second life inside Photoshop.

Attachment 458902Attachment 458904Attachment 458906

Thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Yes indeed that model is on to something with the gestures. He appeared a couple times at ACC but haven't drawn him in like 3 years, was awesome to have him show up on monday. I'm liking the context you got giong on in the chinatown painting. Figure wise to me the head seems a bit small, but it's getting there. Oh wow..so that's what you were talking about when you told me about abstracting the life drawings. Man, these are great for brainstorming ideas. Very cool resources. The conte red one has a great creature torso and the bottom composition reminds me of Giger.

Thanks
    The digi studies are showing a lot of improvement, color is particularly accurate. I think the girl's arm is a bit long in the chinatown screenie.

Figures are tight too, aside from some proportion issues. Seated chick has too much distance between head and breasts! I feel so silly critting your life drawing because mine has been so crappy but spend more time planning your figures before rendering! Then their proportions will be correct AND your sexy rendering can bespeckle their forms!

Thanks

Big dump of recent stuff

Hey all,

Been a bit since I updated. Here's a bunch of stuff I've done recently. I've been working on web stuff as well.

First up, drawings from a recent Dr Sketchy:

Attachment 476922Attachment 476923Attachment 476924Attachment 476925Attachment 476926Attachment 476927

Some Recent life drawings:

Attachment 476928Attachment 476929Attachment 476930Attachment 476931

A self-portrait I did for a show at the Austin Figurative Gallery. I made some progress shots for the fun of it.

Attachment 476932
    Attachment 476933
    Attachment 476934

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Whoa! Great sensitivity to value changes in that portrait, and I love the application of paint. Assuming this is done with oils?

The faces of your figures are looking really crisp too.

Thanks
    MORS: It's acrylic. I found a thick gel medium to mix with the acrylic paint that made it transparent and slowed the drying time a bit. This made it possible to glaze over the underpainting. The thickness of the gel gave it a cool texture too.

I uploaded a picture of one of the faces above because I think it came out well.

Attachment 477010

Thanks
    Here's tonight's life drawings. I think they're more energetic because I was thinking about putting bricks through windows and lighting fires due to the recent financial insecurity. I'll actually take any excuse I can get to put bricks through windows and light fires.

Attachment 478191Attachment 478192Attachment 478193Attachment 478194

Thanks
    Tom, I'm really liking the touch you put into your sp. The soft and subtle shapes of value are a nice choice. I like the hard edge you rendered on the left side of your face. Looks like you were using a limited pallet as well.

Thanks
    Kidape: The pallet wasn't really limited. No green or yellow I guess. But it was very earthy-grey and blue. So, limited by outcome, not really by intention.

Glad you guys like it.

Here's my drawings from the last couple of days. I just ate some popcorn and I think I ingested more than my daily allowance of charcoal.

Thanks
    I like the way you're working subtractively (maybe push/pull) and the energy in these figures.

Thanks
    Very atmospheric, and painterly. I'm very much liking your new approach to the figure drawings, keep it up.

Thanks
    MORS: Yeah, it's a back and forth thing.
    Kidape: Thanks, if I kept drawing the same way every time it might get stale.

Here's a painting of a crushed beer can that I did yesterday.

Attachment 488929

Thanks
    your latest painting has some great depth to it, occupying the space very successfully. very cool.

Thanks
    Kidape: Thanks!

Here's a couple of paintings from today. Been a while since I painted a model. Used acrylic and a very limited pallet. Just burnt sienna, ultamarine blue, and white.

Attachment 490342
    Attachment 490343

Thanks
    Hey all,

Here's life drawing from a couple of days ago and a painting wip. I should have the painting done in a few days.
    Attachment 493710

Attachment 493711

Attachment 493712

This is about a couple of hours in. I put down a charcoal drawing, sealed it with non-workable fixative. That worked well. The charcoal really doesn't mix with the paint at all. Glazed over cadmium red, then started working over that.

Attachment 493713

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    I'm liking the monochrome and how you're working into the folds with varied temperatures.

Your head studies are getting closer to likenesses, which is exciting. I still think you rely a little bit on your conceptual head structure though.

Thanks
    Mors: Yeah, I cam definitely agree that I rely on drawing what I think I should see as opposed to what I really see when doing portraits. Sometimes the models are just to far away to see into the shadows. At least for an old man like me. I should probably do some in-depth self portraits where I have time to really get into the business of drawing.

Here's some drawings. First two are sketchbook doodles.
    Attachment 495309

Attachment 495311

These drawings are from a Dr. Sketchy that happened tonight. I don't usually get the best drawings at these events. But they are good for getting phone numbers.

Attachment 495312

Attachment 495313

Attachment 495314

Attachment 495315

Attachment 495316

Attachment 495317

Thanks
    Why the heck are those fast ones so damn scribbly? Construction is the key mate, construction. Pick up a Loomis' Figure Drawing for All it's Worth, many pages are dedicated to using construction.
    Digital Painting | v8ART.net
    Visit my Blog for a Crazy Adventure down the Art lane - v8ART

Best educational digital art blog ever - Ctrl+Paint

Pillage & Plunder - Sketchbook

Thanks
    Man I'm really enjoying your latest painting. It looks like you've captured some nice energy in it. The gesture seems to have held through which keeps it lively. That, and the brushstrokes used to model the hair, some nice motion in there. I've been wanting to start out a painting with charcoal but I've been hesitant about it. Now that I see yours I think I'll give it a try sometime. So do you notice a difference painting over the fixative, does it feel different?

Thanks
    Here's some more scribbly bullshit from the last couple of days.

You know what I was thinking would be cool? If somebody had at some point written a book that broke down the human figure into simplified forms. Maybe a conceptual "mannequin" figure that could be drawn quickly in any pose. Maybe the figure could even be broken into geometric shapes. Like an egg shape for the head and ribcage. Maybe a cube for the pelvis and cylinders for the arms and legs. It would be nice if such a book were written by somebody who knew what he was talking about. Like an illustrator from the 1940s.

Does anybody know if such a thing exists? It could help my hapless floundering with a pencil quite a bit.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast