Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Littlellama ~ My Art Life From Day 1 *update*

Thanks

Littlellama ~ My Art Life From Day 1 *update*

Hi everyone this thread marks the start of my journey in drawing and painting. I have been a graphics designer but have always felt lost without having any skills in drawing or painting. I'm starting from basically stick figure drawings but hope to improve as quickly as I possibly can by working hard, being open minded and eating smart... err... =)

thanks for coming with me on this journey of self discovery! I hope to tough it out and draw regularly, though now that I've tried it, it's just too much fun to stop!

please feel free to critique my work because I would very much welcome any suggestions and comments you may have. Thanks!!!

sincerely,
    Littlellama
    Last edited by littlellama; December 7th, 2007 at 12:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

My first hand

20 mins.

I thought I might as well start with observing my hand and trying to get it as accurately as possible! I really regret not getting into art in highschool now.
    my 2nd finger (the one beside the thumb) wait...so does that make it my first finger... wonder what the correct term is... I exaggerated it a bit, hope I did not break too many laws of drawing a hand in my picture!
    Last edited by littlellama; December 7th, 2007 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks

Soothing under the moonlight

1 hr.
    I was listening to random anime songs online and this is what I was feeling at the moment. I also wanted to draw something with the cool grass brush!
    I hope by limiting my drawing time to 1hour that I can speed up and also produce more accurate/efficient brush strokes.
    Last edited by littlellama; November 13th, 2007 at 06:48 AM.

Thanks

Homely shack

1hr. I wanted to draw a shack that's ... "freeform" Plus me and my gf talked about our Christmas Gingerbread house today, the roof's tiles are made with Jollyrancher candies. I wonder if that influenced me a bit on this piece. Even though I hate to 'study' but rather explore, I might have to study a bit on how to draw wood properly.

Btw, the 1hr limit is absolute, I got to the door then hit the time limit, there was also planned wooden planks that was supposed to go over the roof.

Thank you all ahead of time for your comments! (maybe I should size the images down a bit as well?) =)
    Last edited by littlellama; December 7th, 2007 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks

harmony city

1 hr+
    went overtime on this, by the time the sketch was done I only had a tiny bit of time left. Intended it to be a tree wrapped around a tall elven-like skyscaper/tower. Got a bit of practice in applying faster strokes though. I think at my current pace, it would take an entire day at least to complete it to the way I intended. =/
    Last edited by littlellama; December 7th, 2007 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks

wishing well

1hr+ for this one, slowly getting used to 'drawing' in details instead of being in the comping/effects mindset
    Last edited by littlellama; December 7th, 2007 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks
    Welcome to CA! Cool stuff. Definitely start posting some pencil drawings here. If you have to, drop the tablet and ps for a while and get some grounding in traditional media before venturing too far into digital art. Keep posting!

Thanks
    yup thanks! Taking your advice and trying to squeeze in more traditional drawings first. Browsed through a few books from loomis, I better start from the first one, the later ones seem to be quite daunting for me at the moment.

Will post scans here once I get settled in with the books and get some sketches going.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticKnight View Post
    Welcome to CA! Cool stuff. Definitely start posting some pencil drawings here. If you have to, drop the tablet and ps for a while and get some grounding in traditional media before venturing too far into digital art. Keep posting!

Thanks

sketch 000

Here is the start on my journey of non-digital drawings/paintings.

I did this during my trip to the wine fest at Niagara on the Lake, my mind full of fields, tranquility and wine.

Thanks

Sketch 001

Started reading the Andrew Loomis book "Fun with a pencil", got to the first lesson of circle drawing. Started drawing circles for practice then decided to throw in a few lines to exercise control of the pencil in my hand.

Thanks

Sketch 002

Here I started the tutorial of basic facial positioning on a ball, still struggling a bit here, doesn't seem to make a face properly at all... also tried varied shapes as suggested in the book.

Thanks

Sketch 003

Here I experimented with what I've practiced so far and tried to add some personality to the faces, I don't seem to be too good at Loomis' style of comical drawing as of the moment, so I just did my own style.

Still completely missing knowledge of the individual features of the face though, perhaps those will come later on in the book, I'm relatively patient with the process of my learning at the moment. =)

But it is getting fun, Loomis was absolutely correct in that with the individual pieces in, the details just start to come out by itself, an entirely new pathway for my imagination to manifest itself, wooot! Thanks Loomis! And thank you ChaoticKnight for recommending I start with traditional first!!!

Thanks
    Hey man good to see you working!
    Watch the perspective of the field with the windmills in it. Rotate the paper to different angles. Itll show you where they are off, and allow you to correct them.
    As far as the faces, its good that your doing these exercises, but try to drop any notion of style to these, and try to be as realistic as possible at this point. Styles are developed through understanding of realism and natural structure. Stay on these for a bit, and I'll try to find you some face structure reference.
    Keep going till then!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast