Sketchbook: Littlellama ~ My Art Life From Day 1 *update*

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Littlellama ~ My Art Life From Day 1 *update*

Hi everyone this thread marks the start of my journey in drawing and painting. I have been a graphics designer but have always felt lost without having any skills in drawing or painting. I'm starting from basically stick figure drawings but hope to improve as quickly as I possibly can by working hard, being open minded and eating smart... err... =)

thanks for coming with me on this journey of self discovery! I hope to tough it out and draw regularly, though now that I've tried it, it's just too much fun to stop!

please feel free to critique my work because I would very much welcome any suggestions and comments you may have. Thanks!!!

sincerely,
    Littlellama

Last edited by littlellama; December 7th, 2007 at 11:47 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first hand

20 mins.

I thought I might as well start with observing my hand and trying to get it as accurately as possible! I really regret not getting into art in highschool now.
    my 2nd finger (the one beside the thumb) wait...so does that make it my first finger... wonder what the correct term is... I exaggerated it a bit, hope I did not break too many laws of drawing a hand in my picture!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by littlellama; December 7th, 2007 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Soothing under the moonlight

1 hr.
    I was listening to random anime songs online and this is what I was feeling at the moment. I also wanted to draw something with the cool grass brush!
    I hope by limiting my drawing time to 1hour that I can speed up and also produce more accurate/efficient brush strokes.

Last edited by littlellama; November 13th, 2007 at 05:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Homely shack

1hr. I wanted to draw a shack that's ... "freeform" Plus me and my gf talked about our Christmas Gingerbread house today, the roof's tiles are made with Jollyrancher candies. I wonder if that influenced me a bit on this piece. Even though I hate to 'study' but rather explore, I might have to study a bit on how to draw wood properly.

Btw, the 1hr limit is absolute, I got to the door then hit the time limit, there was also planned wooden planks that was supposed to go over the roof.

Thank you all ahead of time for your comments! (maybe I should size the images down a bit as well?) =)

Last edited by littlellama; December 7th, 2007 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

harmony city

1 hr+
    went overtime on this, by the time the sketch was done I only had a tiny bit of time left. Intended it to be a tree wrapped around a tall elven-like skyscaper/tower. Got a bit of practice in applying faster strokes though. I think at my current pace, it would take an entire day at least to complete it to the way I intended. =/

Last edited by littlellama; December 7th, 2007 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wishing well

1hr+ for this one, slowly getting used to 'drawing' in details instead of being in the comping/effects mindset

Last edited by littlellama; December 7th, 2007 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA! Cool stuff. Definitely start posting some pencil drawings here. If you have to, drop the tablet and ps for a while and get some grounding in traditional media before venturing too far into digital art. Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yup thanks! Taking your advice and trying to squeeze in more traditional drawings first. Browsed through a few books from loomis, I better start from the first one, the later ones seem to be quite daunting for me at the moment.

Will post scans here once I get settled in with the books and get some sketches going.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticKnight View Post
    Welcome to CA! Cool stuff. Definitely start posting some pencil drawings here. If you have to, drop the tablet and ps for a while and get some grounding in traditional media before venturing too far into digital art. Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketch 000

Here is the start on my journey of non-digital drawings/paintings.

I did this during my trip to the wine fest at Niagara on the Lake, my mind full of fields, tranquility and wine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketch 001

Started reading the Andrew Loomis book "Fun with a pencil", got to the first lesson of circle drawing. Started drawing circles for practice then decided to throw in a few lines to exercise control of the pencil in my hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketch 002

Here I started the tutorial of basic facial positioning on a ball, still struggling a bit here, doesn't seem to make a face properly at all... also tried varied shapes as suggested in the book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketch 003

Here I experimented with what I've practiced so far and tried to add some personality to the faces, I don't seem to be too good at Loomis' style of comical drawing as of the moment, so I just did my own style.

Still completely missing knowledge of the individual features of the face though, perhaps those will come later on in the book, I'm relatively patient with the process of my learning at the moment. =)

But it is getting fun, Loomis was absolutely correct in that with the individual pieces in, the details just start to come out by itself, an entirely new pathway for my imagination to manifest itself, wooot! Thanks Loomis! And thank you ChaoticKnight for recommending I start with traditional first!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man good to see you working!
    Watch the perspective of the field with the windmills in it. Rotate the paper to different angles. Itll show you where they are off, and allow you to correct them.
    As far as the faces, its good that your doing these exercises, but try to drop any notion of style to these, and try to be as realistic as possible at this point. Styles are developed through understanding of realism and natural structure. Stay on these for a bit, and I'll try to find you some face structure reference.
    Keep going till then!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketch 004

I think I will learn how to draw the individual features in parallel with the first Loomis book, so that my facial positional drawings won't have to be guessed-based drawings. Not that I'm too lazy to study a photograph, but I'm trying to achieve the most efficient method of learning at this early point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess who this is...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketch 005

Started on the book "Drawing The Head and Hands" by Loomis, trying to read both that and the Fun with a Pencil, to learn from both at the same time. Here are a few sketches, need more anatomy knowledge to fill in my missing information. Sketched the full bodied guy for fun.

Hard to believe, but to have it shaped remotely humanoid is already quite an improvement for me since I started to draw some postures lately. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First completed painting ever: DSG 1308

DSG 1308:Environ: THE DIRT ROAD TUNNELED RIGHT UNDER THE ANCIENT TREE'S GNARLED ROOTS

Here is my first Daily Sketch Group painting, also my first fully completed digital painting ever. 4 hours or so. I really wonder how people build master pieces in one hour! Was going to build a cute little tree village then got side tracked =/ I think I should have sketched out the village part before I jumped into the coloring!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I can definitely see where I can improve upon the old tree dirt path piece. Better perspective and depth planning in the beginning, more time on shading and detailing the dirt path, and perhaps more color tones on the roots to increase the 3Dness of them. And then there's the entire missing village!
    Perhaps I need to learn how to do speed-painting or at least start a painting from blocking instead of sketching?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... or you can concentrate on learning traditional media first?
    You will learn better depth the more you learn with pencils. When you get to value, you'll definitely get a better grasp on how light hits and is reflected off objects. Keep going with the sketches, you'll get there.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ChaoticKnight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketch 006

back from chillin' on the weekend, here are some quickies, I've been drawing mentally, I wonder if I should start practicing drawing based on real images so that I can understand the structure better first?

Also, the rabbit is just me having fun, I never realized how much fun and how easy drawing is!!! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'd start doing some drawings of real life faces along side these studies. Grab a mirror and do a self-portrait a day from different angles. You could probably try do some heads of others as well, but I find it pretty hard to get facial features down myself unless they're concentrating and still. Maybe you can get a patient relative or friend to model? Photos would work too, but if you have the oppurtunity to do it from life rather than photos, I'd take it.

I guess you're trying to get the face down before moving onto the rest of the body, but adding in a few full bodies here and there would be handy. I drew solitary faces for so long that when I moved on to learning bodies I was (am) completely stuck with proportions and everything else, hah.

I really like that shack (its roof mainly) you posted earlier. Anyway, nice sketchbook and good luck!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ceriously For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I've been doing posture work here -> http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=111206

I'm trying to learn the basics of sketching in general and get my hands used to it so that I'm more confident with my lines. I've been learning from 2 of Andrew loomis' books but there are several gaps of information missing for me right now, due to the path that Loomis decided to teach by.

I'm guessing that I might be able to fill in those gaps through observations myself, so perhaps my next sketches will be from real life instead of mentally.

Thanks, I hope to improve that particular style till I get a good fairy-tale style going =)

and wow, I see that you did quite a bit of body work in your sketches! nice!

Quote Originally Posted by nolarc View Post
    Yeah, I'd start doing some drawings of real life faces along side these studies. Grab a mirror and do a self-portrait a day from different angles. You could probably try do some heads of others as well, but I find it pretty hard to get facial features down myself unless they're concentrating and still. Maybe you can get a patient relative or friend to model? Photos would work too, but if you have the oppurtunity to do it from life rather than photos, I'd take it.

I guess you're trying to get the face down before moving onto the rest of the body, but adding in a few full bodies here and there would be handy. I drew solitary faces for so long that when I moved on to learning bodies I was (am) completely stuck with proportions and everything else, hah.

I really like that shack (its roof mainly) you posted earlier. Anyway, nice sketchbook and good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketch 007

Here are some sketches based on photographs in a magazine, trying to figure out each individual component and placement as observed by me. I think I'm still having the most trouble with the mouth placement, right now I'm still mostly guessing on its position, perhaps I need to draw a full ball/division lines to accurately place it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

DSG: 1309 - Alien Ragamuffin:

DSG: 1309 - Alien Ragamuffin:

The Alien's Ragamuffin Trojan Horse Doll will drift through space looking all innocent and raggycutelike, trying to find unsuspecting humans to haul it in from space, then KABOOMMMMM!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

coloured version

thought it really needed some colours to describe the atmosphere! Really loving this drawing thing, it's so much fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My 12 yr old little cousin wrote beautiful words to describe her emotions for this piece, thought I would share it here. Not sure if babelfish can translate that properly. =)

這棵樹就像圖晝的任何一樣東西都照顧着他看守着他,雖然身邊全都是幽暗的顏色,但是月亮的出現卻點"出"了 安祥的感覺,不會令人感覺不安,樹木的動向也彷彿向月亮致敬一樣,樹木的顏色有很明顯的對比,一熱一凍,月 亮就比喻了提供動力給萬物,月亮的出视就為樹木晝下新的一页。他們也和平地和諧相處。

Last edited by littlellama; December 5th, 2007 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Teddy Memories

BACKSTORY: This piece is similar to how as a kid, I would use a flashlight to read in bed way past bedtime. The Dad built this fancy spaceship for his son, and the son sneaks off into the barn at night to play it again because it is just too fun!

DSG 1310: Sci-Fantasy: THE OVER-THE-TOP AMAZING SPACESHIP THAT DAD BUILT IN THE BARN

Did not want to spend so much time doing this one, but somehow I did, and neglected my other exercises! Must...resist... DSG... =/

And now I present, the most amazing, the most fun, the most memorable decked- out over-the-top spaceship ever! ... for the kid and his teddy bear. =)

Last edited by littlellama; December 10th, 2007 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    due to raised concerns of possible childhood psychosis represented in the image, here is the happy version =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DSG 1311: Sci-Fantasy: MYSTERIOUS HOVERING ALIEN VESSEL IS LIKE AN ABSTRACT SCULPTURE

tried to give it as much of an electrified feeling as possible.

Last edited by littlellama; December 10th, 2007 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff especially the heads. I can tell you'll improve fast.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to FourTonMantis For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.