Lack of inspiration, motivation, drive, moxie etc...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry Lack of inspiration, motivation, drive, moxie etc...

To be perfectly honest, I've dealt with depression since the beginning of my teenage years and I've found it to be harder and harder every year to find the motivation to draw. Or I will have the motivation, but then I'll just stare at my sketchbook and draw a blank (lol, pun). And whenever I can draw it looks worse than what I did years ago. My mind just feels foggy all the time and I simply can't think.

I'm really curious to know if anyone else has gone through or is currently going through this, and what I can do help alleviate this problem.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been going through the exact same thing. The only way I've come across to attenuate the circumstances is to find someone's work that's inspiring to me. I am in awe at how great their work is and it makes me eager to daw so that someday I could become as good as them.

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Forget trying to draw from your imagination for now, just do heaps of observational drawing. See something in front of you, draw it, it's good practice and you won't have the excuse to say "I don't know what to draw".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've tried various meds, and Provigil is a good energy booster 8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Medication is not an answer.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Medication is not an answer.
    If it's diagnosed depression, medication certainly is an answer, just not necessarily the answer.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess so, I just got the vibe he was suggesting it without prior diagnosis.

-edit- and rather than having a useless post here, a suggestion would be to try different mediums, not just drawing, practical aswell, building and/or sculpting, trying new things may lead to new and intrigueing ideas for you to get interested in if you haven't already. If you do get the motivation and get that blank stare effect again, perhaps you just dont have anything cooking, so move on and come back to it later, or as hunter_killer said, do some observational drawings of objects you're interested in, perhaps said objects you're interested in will get your mind into gear as you draw them aswell.

Or perhaps its because you're being too judgemental before putting pencil to paper, im not going to say theres some magic 'trick' to getting passed that, but trying again and again to just ignore anything counter-productive, like worrying about what other people will think of what you're drawing, as sve said a while ago, its like cutting your own inspiration, and I have trouble with it aswell, atleast keep trying because if you dont.. how're you going to find out? Otherwise I wish I had an answer to it, but right now im afraid I dont, but persevearance(sp) will pay off.

Last edited by worxe; November 11th, 2007 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seeing a doctor and getting a diagnosis would be wise but Provigil is a harmless drug and can be very helpful and I'd recommend this guy try it even if he didn't see a doctor. The air force gives it to their pilots to make them more alert. If you are bipolar it could make you manic however so be careful. I say this because you have "manic" in your user name lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Physical excercise.

The other day I was pissed at my SB for not helping me produce what I wanted (rather I was mad at myself) and all this other other shit in my life was flying around trying to smack me in the face with a sock filled with warm wet poo. I put on my sweater and toque, busted outside and ran until the anger was out of me. I came back, took a shower, and drew.

Aside from that, regular excercise will also help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll definitely try the exercise, since I really need it. But I seem to be back on track for now. I basically just cursed myself out for about an hour last night and then I actually drew some stuff that looked good (To me anyway...).

Vhan Juju is offline Just another developing teenage artist. Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ManicShadow, I'm glad to see that somehow you seemed to find a way to get back to drawing, but I would encourage you to find a better way to do it!

For the sake of the conversation at hand, leats avoid the topic of medication, because I don't think that was the intention of ManicShadow when he started this thread.

Back on topic.

I get this problem as well, I simpley waltz up to my sketchbook, and "shut~down" If I want to draw, but just can't get myself to, I start by simpley doodleing on a piece of printer paper with a highlighter, untill I come across a idea that makes me want to draw it, or finally get so sick of doodleing that I want to draw something real.

if I don't want to draw, at all (I don't think I'm the only one who has avoided thier SB for a few days like a curse) then I have mutiple outher activities I do.
    Paino,
    Exersie,
    Talking,
    Sitting outside (what I call, the "Art of feeling a breeze")
    Lip~sinking japaneese rap in the mirror.
    Takeing a Shower,
    Going outside, and jump kicking a oak tree.
    Oragami (This one I don't know, but with so much spare paper laying around I think that it would be fun to loosen up)
    Ocassionaly I get the urge to draw wearing goggles, and jackets, and wristbands, and armsleeves,

Just find some stuff that works for you! Draw with a blindfold! (or with your feet)

You Need a Fresh Perspective! Try something new! Don't worry about weather you like it or not, just try to find something about it that you do like, because if you just sit that with your arms crossed, and compleatley refute it, then there is nothing you can get out of it!

I just got back from a teen performence of 50-style group singers danceing, and singing to techno...Strange yes, but now I got a new perspective! (so I'm pretty sure it works!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Step 1: Stop listening to Tool.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do what I do...

Rent one of those big hunky things that chews up tree branches and shit when they clear land. Have your friends tie you up and refuse to stop pushing you in headfirst until you come up with an idea for a drawing. Works all the time for me...

...usually...they think they can sew my ear back on.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is drawing how you really want to be spending your time? Try exploring other interests. Despite the impression that a lot of folks around here like to exude, making art is not fulfilling to everyone, nor is is it a healthy thing to do to the exclusion of all else.

[edit]Ilaekae, ROFL!

Last edited by Seedling; November 15th, 2007 at 05:58 PM.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple other things to consider along with the other thoughts.

There is a difference between loving the idea of doing art for a living and actually loving doing art for a living. I think everyone kind of deals with this at the beginning and perhaps it is built into us. At the beginning of learning anything we like the idea of being great at it. For something like illustration, it is probably best we don't understand the amount of work it takes to become competent, let alone be at the top of your field. You have to try and really love improving and know that it will pay off later. The cool part is that as you get better it becomes less frustrating to just pick up a pencil because you have some confidence in your ability. The other side is that no matter how good you get, there is always a step ahead that you strive to get to. It never stops.

I heard a Q&A with the artist Chuck Close and a lady in the back asked something like "Where do you get your inspiration and how do you stay motivated? I just can't get inspired." He looked kind of confused and replied "Inspiration is for amateurs, the rest of us wake up and get to work."

I love that, and sometimes you have to get the romantic idea of doing art out of your head and realize that it is work. Still trying to do that myself. Good luck figuring it all out.

ObaBear is offline A belly donsah, a snake charmah. Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Find something else to pursue for a while. I'm sort of going through the same thing, but now it's getting better. I lost all desire to draw at all for the longest time. Then I decided to try focusing on something else, in my case belly dance. Working on it, trying to focus on better isolations, smoother movement, etc took my mind off of thinking "I should be drawing, but I don't want to."

Now after looking at the forums here, and other art sites I'm starting to feel that spark again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been suffering from bouts of severe depression, anxiety, panic, obsessive thinking for the past 9-10 yrs since i graduated high school in 1998 , (yes I have been diagnosed with this stuff by several doctors, plus it runs on my mom's side of the family, at least the depression and anxiety).

The toughest thing in life sometimes can be something as simple as getting out of bed for someone with my condition. I will not go into great depth in regards to my periods of utter hell and hopelessness however I will tell you that this "monster" can definitley make you unmotvated and uninspired. It is not you causing this intetionally but it is something in your mind that is beyong your control. (That is if you have been diagnosed with any mental disorder)

1. Go to a doctor especially if this has been going on for over two weeks nonstop. Get checked out.

2. Exercise, proper nutrition intake and maintaining a good social life will help you out immensly.

3. Medications can help you out. For some people it made miracles; others haven't noticed much difference. Everyone is different. But it is something definitely worth checking out with a doctor.

-Andy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by deliciouspeter View Post
    Step 1: Stop listening to Tool.
    NO.

I love that, and sometimes you have to get the romantic idea of doing art out of your head and realize that it is work. Still trying to do that myself. Good luck figuring it all out.
    Thanks, I kinda realized that when I yelled at myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    read some good novels or comics! Works, epecially stories that give you a chill *shivering not in fear but because its good*!

Music helps too!

Watching some fashion shows or mags, my lecturers say 'Go out and see things, just staying in your own house won't do any good'
    And if you have cash to spare, travel to another country and immersed yourself in their culture. Unless you are poor like me...you can search though travel books or the internet.

Looking at products, I strangely can get inspired too...especially necklaces. Necklaces can take me into another world when I stare long enough.

In this world set by God,
    Imagination is our magic...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...99#post1542899

My Sketchbook above. (Way too long ago... been a busy college student)

Members who have read this thread: 5