Cleveland, Oh... Living in Columbus at the moment though
    Thanks

Anatomy practice! 11/12/07

Hello hello, kind of new to CA and illustration in general. I've been doing lots of research and practice in my sketchbook ever since about a month into this quarter at Ohio State (I'm currently transfering however). I have limited utilities so these are all pictures of pencil drawings. No scanner or illustration software.

I've been into design/drawing for a couple years but recently I've started really buckling down and practicing.

Sorry for any lack of quality or color, but heres a big post of a selection of sketches and exercises I've done in the past month and a half.

Please crit and give suggestions for any exercises I could do to improve my drawing. I would love to get better at value, human and animal anatomy, and basically everything in drawing. Thanks for the help! Can't ensure frequent updates since I'm busy with classes but I'll keep you updates as much as possible.

Last edited by StorieTeller; November 12th, 2007 at 02:43 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welcome to CA storieteller, good to see your work,

crits: looking at your anatomy, you seem to be creating the sausage effect with your muscles by making the contours of the arms parallel to each other. Also when drawing the human figure its better imo to think straight lines instead of curved lines. If your going for a more wonky tooney style then curved lines are fine. It just depend on the level of realism your going for. I'm still learning that straight lines are key to the human figure. What helped and is still helping me is figure studies from various anatomy books, brigdmen vilppu, Hogarth, are some of the major players when it comes to studying anatomy, but there are others out there. It depends on what you gravitate towards.

Proportions: it seems your doing ok here, watch the length of the torso (in this last piece) your pelvic region seems non existent, making your torso seem very long. The guy climbing down the pillar, his head seems to large for his body. Also with the pillar guy, his arms are a bit long also, the way I measure my arms is by using the head system. arm length equals 2 heads not including the hand, hand is the length of your face, I did a measurement chart awhile ago, I'll post it in your sb. Keep working hard man.

This is something I did awhile ago, I hope it helps, again this is just a system I use, 8 head rule, there are other proportion systems out there. Hope this helps. Don't pay attention to the drawing,

Last edited by Darktwin; November 9th, 2007 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks
    Your anatomy will pick up the more you draw. "Anatomy for the Artist, 142 full length plates" by Jeno Barcsay is a great book on the human anatomy. I recommend getting to the closest book store and picking up this puppy.

Thanks
    its great to see another student on here!
    I really like your last anatomy study, and the pudgy guy the horns, fun style!
    ~questioning sanity since 1984~
    my portfolio website: http://susanoleinik.com
    my sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96316

Thanks
    Darktwin- Wow, that's an info packed reply, thanks! I'll definitely start practicing the 8 head rule. I'll also have to get those anatomy books when I'm back home from college, they tore down the library my first year here, haha. As for the guy climbing the pillar, I kind of sketched him to be more of a Kobold-like figure if that explains any of his proportion weaknesses. But thanks so much for the picture guide, you'll see me implementing that in my next post. Stay tuned!

lawnboy- Thanks for the recommendation, I'll hit up halfpriced books asap.

cinammon girl- Hello fellow student. I got tired of human anatomy so I decided to make something super ugly and orcish. Thanks for viewing!

Thanks
    Yello,

Practiced some anatomy sketches with Darktwin's "8 Head Rule." Some minor inconsistancies since I just winged the measurement all the way through. The first is a direct copy and the second is one with a little less reference, hopefully I'll be able to do it from memory in enough time.

The rest is some exercises from PoseManiacs (great tool): a bunch of 60 second poses and a muscle study.

Tell me what you think and some more tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Getting the hang of things. I've been researching muscles and practicing the proportion exercise with little reference to the original. I tried taking it at a profile view but it turned out really skinny. Suggestions appreciated!