Lyra rides the bear - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lyra rides the bear

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Silvertone: Thanks, You have a point but it was a play off between not breaking the 2D design and getting things looking natural. The analogue piece has Lyra better seated on the bear at a slight expense of the digital's rythym. The bear's head would have been a little too distracting regarding the design - I could be wrong, and there probably was a way of getting the bear head to be posed a little more naturally without breaking the flow of the design.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chris, since you brought it up... I've always wondered what ppl mean by rhythm in paintings. If you have the time, I'd really appreciate if you (or someone else) could explain it to me like I was three years old?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    carnelizer: Looking throught your sketchbook (what remains of it online) it seems you have an excellent grasp of it! There is some lovely work there by the way. Anyway, I have always thought of rhythm in paintings to be to do with the manner in which your eye is guided around the picture's surface. Someone like Leyendecker has quickish, stuccato rhythms whereas Rockwell's are ponderous or almost non-existent. Modigliani's rhythms are measured and even and suggest elegance whereas Picasso's Gurnica or his Demoiselles d'Avignon the rhythm is convulsive.
    Mondrian is hardly about rhythym but about 'harmonics' - power achieved by a static balance of inequalities.
    Jackson Pollock is all about rhythym and the energy of his paintings is entirely to do with the tracery and tracks of his marks.
    To sum up, it is to do with the way the elements of an image encourage us to take a trip around the two dimensional geography of its surface.

Just an afterthought. The fact that a painters rhythyms are slow or even ponderous is not necessarily a bad thing - it is all to do with if it is at the service of what the artist has to say. Edward Hopper's work would be inconcievable without his deadpan even pace as would Magritte. Rockwell on the other hand doesn't use these abstract characteristics in an expressive way and sometimes it leads to ponderousness because the rhythyms of his paintings are at odds with the subject.

Well, that's how I take most 3 year olds would understand it!!!

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL. Luckily I'm 35. :-)

Thank you very much for taking the time! I suspected it was something along those lines. Then it's not new to me, just wasn't certain about the term. Damnit I think I'll go to art school when I retire... I'm putting rhythm on my list of stuff to look deeper into, starting with the artists you named.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats turned out to be a very nice painting mate i would love it on one of my walls. love the details and the brush work . inspiring work

Boxx 5345 dual quad and wacom (intous3)
    http://www.max3d.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.