Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts

Icon IDW #50: IDW Avatar - Maintenance Droid

Topic: IDW Avatar - Maintenance Droid

Background: Yep, big hooray IDW Round 50 is upon us. Big thanks to everyone who ever took part in this 'weekly' activity. For this special round it seemed a good idea to do something special, and since we do not yet have our own avatar and banner like the other activities, that will be the topic.

As an avatar for something like Industrial Design of the Week is a bit difficult because most of the topics are quite different from each other, I thought this would be a nice solution: a maintenance droid. It could do well as an avatar and it still represents what we do in this part of the forums. Note that when I write 'Maintenance' Droid I mean a Engineer Droid, Service Droid or Constructor Droid or whatever name you want to give it. Medical Droid is a possibility as well, allthough for Industrial Design I think it is less suited than the other options.

There are a few rules though. As I plan to ask the winner to provide me with a version I can work into an avatar and banner, the droid must be on a white background (or any other plain color, but for convenience you should be able to provide me with one on a white bg). If you really need a background I'm not going to stop you but when I turn it into a banner etc. I might want to get rid of it anyway (allthough I have no intention to rip your artwork to pieces, trust me ) For the avatar I think it'd be usefull if the droid has a destinctive 'head' or something else that would work on a small image.

Brief:
    1. Design the new IDW avatar: a maintenance droid!
    2. Read the story above for more info

Deadline: Thursday November 22 2007 - yes, two whole weeks to come up with something stunning!
    Last edited by yoitisi; November 11th, 2007 at 06:52 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Wow, what a great topic! I've only ever been an IDW lurker so looks like this is the time to start!

Thanks
    I was kinda hoping that you'll tell us to do 100 (or at least 50) droids like that C.O.W. #100 Festival Boy, wouldn't that be sweet, or what!

WIP sketches

IDW #50: IDW Avatar - Maintenance Droid

FINAL (coming soon, I hope...)

Last edited by schunnin; November 24th, 2007 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks
    "I have no intention to rip your artwork to pieces, thrust me"

ok... O_o

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baby-bel View Post
    Wow, what a great topic! I've only ever been an IDW lurker so looks like this is the time to start!
    +1
    Cheers,
    Bliz::..

www.anthonyrosbottom.com

somewhere between the fridge and the sofa
    Thanks
    I'm in (at least gonna give it a try).

Thanks
    Baby-Bel: Welcome

Schunnin: If we make it to IDW nr. 100, who knows

Legato: As I'm the who will make the winners' robot into a banner and avatar, I just wanted to make sure people understand I won't mess up their artwork

Bliz Welcome

Spitch: Great to have you onboard. Looking forward to the result.

Thanks

new

i've never been too into industrial design, but i've been wanting to practice mechanical and electronic things, and i have an idea for a droid, so i think i'll tyr to enter this one :3

Thanks
    i'm in
    "Ryan, that's not a desaturated color."

Thanks
    Thought that I'd have a go, I might add colour etc later if i have time.

Please let me know if theres anything Ive done wrong in terms of fitting the brief.

Thanks
    I've refined this a little bit from before. I'm thinking of leaving it really simple and straightforward to make it read instantly as an old-fashioned droid, but really I just wanted to draw a fun robot for once!

Here is the final scene:

And here is the final whte BG droid:

This topic was really fun! I enjoyed myself making this drawing more than any else I've done in quite a while. Having two weeks probably helped too (gives us all a chance to sit on what we've done for a bit and come back to it with fresh eyes). Good luck to everyone who entered this theme!
    Last edited by ScaryPotato; November 20th, 2007 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    Baby-Bel: Welcome

Schunnin: If we make it to IDW nr. 100, who knows

Legato: As I'm the who will make the winners' robot into a banner and avatar, I just wanted to make sure people understand I won't mess up their artwork

Bliz Welcome

Spitch: Great to have you onboard. Looking forward to the result.
    i don't think you understand yoitisi... i don't mind the whole TRUSTing thing... its the THRUSTING thing that bothers me

and um... i still have a week before classes are over... right now i have 3 final projects... i'll see what i can do, but i am hosed for time atm... installation pieces take a lot of time!

Thanks
    [void]: As far as I can see it is within the guidelines, so go ahead. The only thing I miss is something that screams at me that this is a maintenance droid, but I suppose that will be clearer if you slap on some color .

Legato: Oops..hehe my bad, I'll correct it. Would be great if you could make it this round

One more thing on the topic though, and this might be IMPORTANT:

After seeing the last round of IDW, in which 2 out of 4 were basically 3d renderings, this round I will not take 3d images to poll. The reason for this is that initially this activity was meant for Industrial Design drawings and not for 3d renderings. I allowed it a couple of rounds to see if it would work, but I'm still a bit uncertain if we shouldn't keep it drawings only. Therefore I think it would not fit to have an avatar that is not drawn but rendered. Using a 3d model as a guide for perspective etc. is acceptable though, just as long as the model does not become your final entry. Sorry to bring this up a bit late.

Thanks
    Any comments/crits/opinions welcomed:

Last edited by daveneale; November 13th, 2007 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks

Trying to get back in the swing of things...

Thanks
    Sundance- I really like the 'projected eyes' you got going on here! Verry cool original idea.

Although as my went down the droid the bottom half is suffering from battling perspectives it would seem...

my 2 cents.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to S!R For This Useful Post:

somewhere between the fridge and the sofa
    Thanks

Maintenance Droid

Here's my attempt.

The IDW CompuFix Droid is the ultimate solution for most CA users.
    No more HD crash, low memory problems, dead links, WhereTheF*IsThePoll crisis...
    This one and half foot tall robot is the solution you always needed.
    Don't hesitate and order it from your local CA administrator.

Thanks
    good stuff spitch...it has awsome character, I like the rendering of the casing/bodywork too, just one small crit though.....the shadow underneath seems off, especially considering the shadows on the droid itself, I think it would really help to ground it if you just paid it a tiny bit more attention.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitch View Post
    Here's my attempt.

The IDW CompuFix Droid is the ultimate solution for most CA users.
    No more HD crash, low memory problems, dead links, WhereTheF*IsThePoll crisis...
    This one and half foot tall robot is the solution you always needed.
    Don't hesitate and order it from your local CA administrator.
    *dons flame retardant suit*

but why buy a droid when you can just buy an apple?!

Thanks
    Hi fellows, sorry for having been away last week , I have been having some outstanding matters to take care of but everything seems to be already arranged so no excuses from now on, is time to pay homage to our future avatar.
    I think the topic is absolutely right. I like it a lot.

Thanks a lot for your attention yoitisi, sorry about didn't send my locomotive in time
    First contact, probably I'll follow this way

Last edited by Zutaiola; November 12th, 2007 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks

Mech-Driod

Spitch - I think the tracks on your image need some work to bring them up to the standard of the rest of the piece. Look a little dark draw the eye too much and loose their detail.

Void - looks great, interested to see how it come together and brings out the maintenance aspect.

Zutaiola - shame about the last round I was looking forward to seeing how your WIP moved on. I like the compactness of your designs, they look nicely styled to fit into everyday life with out causing a distraction to those around them. Perhaps worryingly I find the 'smiley faces' slight sinister, likely just paranoia on my part (or that could be what they want me to think)....

It will be good to see how all the designs come together, looks like it should be a good few entries this round.

-------------------------------------------

Sketch
    Knocking ideas about, I thinking about this direction for the moment.

I was thinking on long the lines of a 'watch-maker' influence to the robot, whilst trying to keep is humanoid it has a wide range of fine tools with it working through some great machine carefully maintaining and adjusting the machinery.

mmmm - just looking at it now I think it need to be redefined to make it more distinct from what has been around before.

I'd like to do the best I can for what should be a special round but as 3D work tends to be looked down on I think I should likely stick to a more standard medium.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Final
    Line work and a bit of colour splashed down.
    Last edited by D-Holme; November 24th, 2007 at 01:23 PM. Reason: WIP added
    MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    This seems something like a character, I'll try!

Thanks
    daveneale like that, really original but, just in case you forgot about that, yoitisi asks for a distinctive head.

D-Holme thx for comments, you describe my ideas better than me seriously! except sinister faces part, but I understand what you mean, could have that look.

mmmm - just looking at it now I think it need to be redefined to make it more distinct from what has been around before.
    I'm not sure if I understand right, but I think your idea is distinct enough, in fact is the only real humanoid at the moment (I think ScaryPotato's one is more like a classical robot) anyway you have to feel comfortable with your concept, is your choice.

At first I also thought about humanoid droids but finally I found inspiration in this expensive thingy,
    a cleaning robot! Isn't it amazing?
    Last edited by Zutaiola; November 14th, 2007 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks
    Zutaiola dude thats awsome!...I want one!....and as for the head:

For the avatar I think it'd be usefull if the droid has a destinctive 'head' or something else that would work on a small image.
    I was going for the "somthing else"

yoitisi; what do you recon?....I'll add a head if it's necessary?

Thanks
    Yeah, I missed the "something else" part

Thanks
    Zutaiola, Daveneale: I deliberately didn't want to narrow the topic down too much, so people could have their own interpretation. There is however the important aspect of it being representative of what we do here. My personal opinion in this matter is that stereotypical droids in this case ain't a bad thing, because it would show at first glance what IDW is all about. If you'd put something like that robotic vacuum cleaner up it would be far less clear. Don't get me wrong, you're free to come up with whatever you think is fitting. The voting will decide what entry becomes the avatar. I'll merely judge on quality and only in severe cases on the idea itself, allthough I don't think that will be necessary.
    As far as the "head" goes, the same counts: it should be something destinctive that just screams IDW, and be small enough to fit on an avatar and still be recognizable. Note that this doesn't mean it has to be a head as such, but this would be the easiest way to do it I think.

ScaryPotato: It isn't necessary for you to come up with the whole banner, as it will also include some basic rules and stuff in the end. This part will be done by me after the selection of the avatar etc. I'd rather have you spend your time on the actual robot. Although I like the logo-kind of idea you've got going on, in my opinion it does not convey all that we do here at IDW. It might be nice to see if you can come up with a full render of the robot you've got.

Daveneale: Seeing as there is still a lot of time left, I think you could push it a little further. The main thing I wonder about it it's recognizability as I discussed above. Remember, the final avatar will not be shown with the name of the topic besides it so the drawing itself will have to explain it here.

*I made the parts where I state my personal opinion italic, so as not to confuse you whether it's a rule for this round or not
    Last edited by yoitisi; November 14th, 2007 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks
    I just was trying to make a joke an bring some good mood, I'm not sure if anybody understood that. Maybe my sketches looks like a robotic vacuum cleaner, I'll be sorry about that.

Anyway I'm sure working as a vacuum cleaner could be one of the maintenance droid functions.8)
    Last edited by Zutaiola; November 15th, 2007 at 03:42 AM.

Thanks
    Alll good, I'll try push mine a lil furthur if I get time between work(*looks at deadline, then date on computer* Oh, I've been thinking that I'd missed the 1st week, and thought that the deadline was tommorow....I had no idea it was this early in the month, duuuh: I will definatly revisit this now), and Zutaiola....I think we're just clearing a few details up, your vacume post was definalty fun...I dont think your sketches are vacume-esque (my personal favorite is the one at the top)

And thanks for the pointers Yoitisi, yeah I'll add a few things, Im also going to pay a bit more attention to the balloon bit too.

Thanks
    Zutaiola: I just wanted to prevent people to do it like that. Your sketches are okay, I was merely refering to the vacuum cleaner

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments yoitisi, I wasn't intending to do the full banner, but when I started drawing the robot, it looks a little odd to me that we couldn't see what he was staring at, and then it just took off from there. I will be putting some more details on the whole thing, not to worry!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast