IDW #49: Futuristic Steam-Powered Locomotive - Voting

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • D-Holme

14 45.16%
  • Sogbad

5 16.13%
  • Dominus

6 19.35%
  • Insubstantial

6 19.35%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #49: Futuristic Steam-Powered Locomotive - Voting

IDW #49 Topic: Futuristic Steam-Powered Locomotive

Deadline for voting: Friday, November 16 2007

No voting for your own entries!

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #49: Futuristic Steam-Powered Locomotive

Last edited by yoitisi; November 25th, 2007 at 07:11 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: D-Holme

Artist: Sogbad

Orion Express
    A luxury passenger train for the rich and famous. It'll be powered by nuclear steam turbines that generate the massive amounts of energy needed to power the antigravity locomotion systems. The Orion Express steams around a small moon in the Orion system, constantly moving in the twilight zone as the moon spins, allowing the passengers to enjoy one of the most beautiful and exclusive experience in the galaxy.

Artist: Dominus

Artist: Insubstantial

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing special this round actually that I didn't allready said in the initial round. Still, some small notes

Sogbad: I copied part of your post into this thread and made it a description of sorts so the general idea was clear (I only changed the first sentence, hope you don't mind ).

Insubstantial: Good to see your final entry is so much better than the initial one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D-Holme - Thanks for the comments on my WIP. I started to work on getting the form sharpened and in focus but never had the time to bring it up to an acceptable level. Thanks for you comment too Yoitisi. I'll have to get going on the next design ASAP when it comes out. - and I see it has .
    D-Holme - Your design is really inspiring. The layout is very clean and the main image really shows a lot of depth with the wintery environment. Very well engineered and I really like the technical description and plot. Nice 3D rendering for the base. Do you also work in Z-Brush when making your models? I hear it mentioned quite a bit here in ConceptArt.
    Sogbad - It's amazing to me the level of detail you've achieved in your design. Nice depth in your forms and environment too. Beautifully rendered layout.
    Dominus - This design grabs my attention every time I scroll through this post. The dynamic render of the contrasting forms and the glow of the orange and red are captivating.
    insubstantial - Nice design on your engine. I like the green glow of the reactor and the orange heat radiating colors. The technical breakdown illustrations beneath the main are really well done too. Very clean and concise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sogbad I nearly voted for your entry because the overall design is quite original. The only thing that kept me from doing so was something about those round, white energy things on the side. To me they seemed to make thedesign a bit too fussy.

Dominus I voted for your entry because it was the cleanest, boldest entry. The design is a bit clichéd compared to sogbad's so it was a close thing though.

Cheers,
    Bliz::..

www.anthonyrosbottom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Insubstantial. Just the fact that he figured out the perspective and pulled out a pretty nice design too. A few perspective mistakes at the back but your doing well.

I just hope this isnt turning in a 3D contest. Its a great tool but I wanna see raw ID drawing skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx fo the positive feedback. about the perspective... yeah, i noticed some mistakes, too. hadn't the time to fix it. i stomped this picture out in 2 hours.

D-Holme: your design looks as if it could be realistic, and i like how you present your train. it does what you want it to do: it looks huge and powerfull.
    Sogbad: your train is nice too and it appears verry futuristic. its just alittle cunfusing to me and i dont like the green.
    Dominus: this chrome-plated looking thing is impressive.

it was hard to me to come to an decision. i voted for d-holme, because he really makes it as if it could be real. his rendered picture is awesome and he described his trains funktions clear and believable.

Last edited by insubstantial; November 8th, 2007 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sogbad – I like the low perspective and the impression of motion. My only concern is the design is perhaps not truly a locomotive, that it should perhaps either run on tracks or pull some manner of ‘train’ of carriages. I’m afraid that I don’t have any definite comments on the rendition, I like the style and sharpness.

Dominus – The loose style is very attractive and there is a nice range of light with a strong yet simple presentation. I think overall the strength of the design might be a little lost due to the style of rendition and the lack of any definition or description. Although at the end of the day it is fairly easy to imagine how it would work.

Insubstantial – I like the complete image, it shows the design off much better than the initial basic projections. The light works well across the metal. Some of the perspective seems a little off – along the top of the reactor core and the wheels.

---------------

Thank you all for the comments.

Looking at it now it think I should have made my image more saturated with stronger blue tones. I’d have like to give a stronger impression of speed.

Muleskinner – No, I haven’t used Z-Brush, this piece was modelled in Solidworks and Rhino, then although does matter as much for a base image it was rendered in Maxwell

Last edited by D-Holme; November 11th, 2007 at 04:46 AM.
    MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaagh! I had too mach doubts. pld: I'll vote tomorrow.

Last edited by Zutaiola; November 13th, 2007 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Mach", I wrote mAch! , I supose I was thinking in spanish.

Ok, I have to vote so I´ll try to be fair instead attending to my own taste.

D-Holme, the design I like the best, because of shapes and development, but in my opinion 3d modeling has clearly advantage over 2d . I'm agree using it ( in professional concept/artwork/development obviously, nothing to say about that) as base but I think the main work would have to be done clearly with 2d rendering, and I'm not sure about that in your piece .
    Dominus, I like a lot the nose, elegant, aggressive, powerfull, not so the rear of the locomotive. I think I remember you said this was a quick sketch, I'm sure It will be brilliant if next time you can scratch some more time to your final entry.

Insubstantial, It's a pity you haven't had more time, in spite of that your piece has nice quality and good appearance. About perspective, you know, it's already said. Hope see something more soon.

Sogbad, for me the best rendering and very original idea, not sure about if there are 3d elements but that's the thing, I'm not sure.

My mind seems to be not exactly were today is my head so excuse me If there is some mistake in my English.

Last edited by Zutaiola; November 14th, 2007 at 02:05 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1