Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: By(e) George

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

By(e) George

Hi, just finished this, any comments and feedback are welcome

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by binoched; November 7th, 2007 at 06:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The feeling of scale is applied well in this piece. I think your colours are too bland (Too much brown) and the image as a whole looks blurry. It reminds me of Monty Python and I like your signature. lats

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I actually think the color is the best part of this. Check out the edges link in my signature, I think it would be helpful.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ped454 - Thanks for the critique. It's ironic, though, that in order to give the sense of more scale, I added the wing, and in the process covered a fair portion of sky, taking away color variety and making it brown 'heavy'. Good points, thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I actually think the color is the best part of this. Check out the edges link in my signature, I think it would be helpful.

Elwell - Thanks for taking the time to direct me to the link on edges, It's great fundamental information no artist should be without. Thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, Binoched, the brown heavy bland colors has nothing to do with the sky or other colors present in the piece. It has to do with the fact that the brown you used is the same brown throughout the piece. Give your color more depth by mixing up a different variety of browns. Reddish browns, orange browns, desaturated blues, etc. Your color right now is very flat.

Also, the body of your dragon feels a bit unresolved. Unless it's just part of the neck??? I can't tell. You have to make it more clear in the picture. Also, the spikes on the torso/lower part of the neck seem a bit unnecessary and over the top. What is their function and purpose? I mean, would a dragon ever use chest claws to spear something? And if so, then why are they pointed down?
    Also, to improve upon the story telling element of your piece, demonstrate some kind of conflict or express the severity of the encounter. Right now I feel like two old enemies happened to just bump into each other at the super market. You showed the after effects of the dragon blowing fire. Why not show the dragon actually blowing fire and the figure blocking it with all his might.

Last edited by zypher18; November 8th, 2007 at 06:27 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zypher18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's a little paint over I did to demonstrate the story telling component.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zypher18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your edges are really soft on the left side of the picture. That's probably one of the reasons my eye keeps on going to the dragon's mouth - it's the part that's rendered the sharpest. In this particular composition, it doesn't seem like the dragon mouth should be the main focus, so you may want to keep that in mind for future work...where is the focal point? How will you make the focal point the part of the picture that draws the viewer's eye the strongest?

There's a good tutorial here regarding the use of things like contrast, texture, etc. to draw an eye to a certain point in a drawing.
    http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

...and by golly, it looks like the author updated somewhat after two years! Goody.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fireflights For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am baffled about what the wings are doing, where they're coming from, and how they relate to what's going on.

Baffled, I say.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
    I am baffled about what the wings are doing, where they're coming from, and how they relate to what's going on.

Baffled, I say.
    WHOA, i just noticed that too, now that you mention it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update to some of my errors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that the stomach-scales (or whatever you prefer to name em) are too big in comparison with the smaller scales, also his left wing is on the right side of his head..this is confusing, anatomically impossible and very unreal, he really cant fly like this, also I would go for that story-telling component from up above that looks better, even if you only let the dragon breathe some fire. maybe you can shrink the jaw a bit on the back, where it meets the skull and the neck. the head of a dragon should be streamlined so that it resembles a dragons personallity, sly and mean.

hope this helpes some, other than these points it looks ok,

greetz Dagga

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it might help to shrink the image, throw up a big canvas around it, and sketch in the entire dragon's body so you know exactly what is going where.

Right now the wings are very disjointed and look like either there are other dragons just outside the scene, or his wings have been broken or hacked off and stuck around the landscape.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think the blur on the wings add any depth.. it's the wrong kind of depth anyways. They look like miniatures. Instead when things are far away try and make them less contrasty. Plus I would like to see how you intended the pose of the dragon, because i cannot connected the wings and body right now.

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I can't tell if the figure is facing toward or away from us.

It does seem to be facing away, and that's really not the best pose to be in. Beyond that, there's lots of drawing errors and omissions that don't look like we're looking at the back of a figure. There's no deltoids evident. There's no indication that the scapulae are coming together as he extends his sword arm. The belt looks too much like the kind of belt that one might see from the front, like a robe belt. There's no arch or hump to the back near the top that would indicate he's leaning forward. The skirt doesn't drape realistically and the one peek of light in the skirt seems incongruous. Nothing on his neck gives a sense of which way the head has turned from. There must be a tug on something, like the neck muscles or the fabric over them to indicate from whence the movement came. I don't understand how that part of the wing got behind the man... it looks like a right wing, but the right wing already appears behind the dragon, no?

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rather than blurring the dragon's back wing, it would be better if you were to add some atmospheric effects to it; y'know, eyedropping the sunset's color and going over the wing with a lower opactiy brush.
    I also agree with earlier posts that you really need to extend the canvas to show more of the dragon's body. The composition seems really bad to me with everything happening -right- on the edge of the canvas.

Oh, the dragon's lower jaw is a tad bit too short, BTW. ;P

I love how you've done the textures in this piece so far. Man, I wish I could texture that well. XD

Members who have read this thread: 1