Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thought I would drop in....

I'm certainly impressed with your sketches.

On another note... at Zbrushcentral there is a couple that work creating displays of dinosaurs at a French Museum. Their combined work is superb, however you would have to search for their link at that site. You may well find their work in the featured works of the site.

All the best

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks! I'll make sure to take a look.

Some more old stuff, now; getting into speculative zoology. 'Bout time I posted some of it here!.
    I have an interest in tabletop miniature gaming, and on one forum I posted up a few sketches of possible creatures for a post-apocalyptic setting. The concept of dingo rats - tiger-sized (or bigger)predatory rodents with touches of canine, mesonychid and creodont, cruising the wastelands in search of anything edible - proved popular.
    So, I'll probably try my hand at sculpting a set of these sometime in the future - something around 1/54 or 1/56 scale. But not before the road shark...

Attached Images Attached Images    
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    whoa, your dinos are amazing! no doubt you've heard of james gurney?

Incessant Doodlings of a Wandering Mind (my sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96904

"Avoidance of what you can't draw well doesn't stimulate growth." -Cory Trego-Erdner

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."-Jean Giraudoux

Thanks
    Hullo! Thanks! And yes - the Dinotopia guy, isn't he? Can't say I'm fond of the setting/concept, but he's a veritable paloaeoart titan.

Some more stuff from me: Pachyrhinosaur sketches that I forgot to scan (a restoration based on a skull, and some half-baked attempts at forelimb restoration), and a weird Anchisaurus profile.

Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    A few more very old things. I could probably do better now - honest! This is Warhammer stuff: my own takes on Lizardmen Saurus, and a Lizardmen Kroxigor. The second Saurus is brush-inked, and coloured in GIMP.
    That was when I decided not to do too much more digital colouring until I got round to getting some kind of tablet. Still haven't, years later.
    Also, when I collected lizardmen I considered sculpting and casting heads like these to use on my own Saurus. The look is closer to the official artwork than the miniatures, and is a lot better IMO. More 'solid' and reptilian, especially with the crocodilian upturn as opposed to drooping labrador jowls.

Last edited by Vermis; January 5th, 2008 at 10:47 AM.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    A little tonal thumbnail doodle thing of an anchisaurus head, in coloured pencil. Turned out better than I expected so I added a few more bits of colour to the brown.
    But as always, more practise needed.
    And it helps if you sit back and squint.

Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    I'm back! Here's sketches of aetosaurs, ancient herbivorous relatives of crocodiles. They had fairly weird snouts.

Thanks
    And here's a study of an Eastern Box turtle, pen and coloured pencil.

Thanks
    I first looked at the picture before I read your text and I thought it was a creature you designed yourself. Cool that they really have exist I love the spikes on the back. Nice clean pencil lines!

Also nice turtle, the coloring is really shiny.

http://www.nancyzonneveld.nl
    - illustrations, animations & games -

Thanks
    Great dino studies, like the gorilla drawings also. Nice work on the turtle, the colouring is superb.

Thanks
    Thanks!

I was too late for the 'reptilian tiger' daily sketch, but I thought I'd have a crack at it anyway. Thing is, as a couple of people noted on that topic, a lot of serious creature designs on those lines are going to look similar to a number of RL prehistoric predators. I didn't try to fight it.
    And segue to Nancy: there's a wealth of prehistoric fauna besides dinosaurs, that unfortunately are usually left in the shadows by the latter. But IMO it'd be tough to find armour-plated spiky-shouldered shovel-snouted veggie crocs uninteresting.
    On this sketch: it was painted, and quick, so it's a bit ropey. The corner of the mouth is too floppy, anyway. But I think there's a little improvement compared to my usual acrylic efforts. Any opinions?

Last edited by Vermis; October 19th, 2008 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks
    Nice sketchbook, Vermis. I like the animal and dinosaur drawings, but I especially like that drawing of that Desmatosuchus a few posts back. It's nice to meet a fellow CAer with an interest in non-dinosaurian extinct things. Do you ever draw any therapsids?
    Speaking of which, your reptilian tiger is looking nice. The way you sculpted its back is very well done, and the stripes are also well executed. The light and shadow on its ankle looks a bit strange, though. I think it could also use just a bit more definition in the shoulders, too. Large cats have very muscular shoulders. I also think that the gray and the greenish yellow that you chose for the background are too similar in value.
    I love the Dingo Rats that you posted earlier. I'm sure you know of Dougal Dixon's book, After Man, where rats have also evolved into canid-like predators. Your rats are much better.

Thanks
    "Awrk!" he thought. "It's the animal anatomy mentor! I'm for it now!"

Hullo Moai. Glad you like it, and thanks very much for the pointers. I know I fluffed the light on the ankles. Thing is, I'm not sure how to unfluff it, without a lot of practise in light and shade. Which I guess I should get to.

I think this is the only therapsid-like thing I've drawn. For all my fondness of things there's still a lot I haven't got round to yet (like sculpting those dingo rats - unbelievable!). And yes, I'm a little familiar with Dougal Dixon, thanks to Darren Naish.

Sketchbook Deviations

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5