Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Leveling/Grinding

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Serious Leveling/Grinding

edited: changed thumb

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aveh; July 25th, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start on this sketchbook. being serious about art is an amazing dedication; it can be serious and hard, but also fun and relaxing and rewarding. That's why I love art so much. Keep up the good work in your sketch book!

Please check out my sketchbook
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108223

And my Life Studies
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109122

Animation is hard work, BUT.....
    It's also tedious....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work on your contrast, your work makes it look like you're afraid of going darker. There are a few sketches that have the values pushed, and the image really pops with those ones. Explore the boundaries of your pencil.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice first dump. You totally rocked out the life drawings, not much I can say on that. I'd say watch your proportions on some of them. The torsos seem to be really thick at times. Also, when drawing faces, take your time and make sure they are proportionate and placed right. Some of the faces I've seen in here skew off to the left a bit. :/ Uhm....what else...*takes a second look* Take a closer look at women's torsos and study the curves. Do some basic studies on just the torsos of women so that you understand where the curves are and where the hips, elbows, "waist" etc lines up at.

One more thing; When starting digipainting, do not go straight into something difficult. Find a good reference image that has great values in black and white and then study it. Try to get the values, form, shape, shade, etc all correct. On this you can do what IdiotApathy is doing with me. But I'd wait a while before tackling something like that. You might want to start with simple cubes, polyhedrons, etc to get the hang of what I'm talking about.

*massages wrists and applies heat pad* Increaded my Carpal Tunnel a bit on that post. Anyway, hope that all makes sense and helps you out. I'll subscribe so I can keep a close look on what you work on. Good luck and we'll lvl together bruh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Half ass update

Just a small update of some life drawing stuff in my small book. I need to figure out a way to be loose. I stiffen up a lot during life drawing I notice. I'll finish the update later today when I can get back to the scanner, gotta run right now.

WaiLik -Yeah, thanks for the vote of motivation. I definately plan to keep at it.

Sepulverture - Something I get called on all the time is contrast. I need to start forcing myself to make things darker than I think they should be and maybe I'll get better results that way.

Stark - Yeah I've always skewed them cause I hold my head to the left. Another thing I need to consciously keep thinking about. Manly women, its either I do the shoulders to big or the torso is too wide and angular. I need to stop that. Yeah about the digi-painting. I'm trying to do the activities in the threads on basics. Thanks for the crit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Late update

Just some stuff I meant to post on the weekend and didn't get around to doing. I had more to scan for today but the lab was full. So I'm still behind what my plan was.

Life drawing stuff then doodlez.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good here. The life drawings are shaping up and getting better. Just make sure you are defining the form and shape more clearly so that they don't come off as thick blocks of flesh. Good start and like they say to me in my SB, maximize your SB to the fullest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks good, liking the life drawings alot.
    I think some one or two more portrait studies would't be wrong though, be careful as you mark the facial features. I don't know if anyone commented on this before, but often heads look a bit crooked. For instance, try using straight lines to measure the facial features correctly in relation to each other.
    Other than that it looks good! Hoping for more updates.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

All digi..

I been slacking lately cause classes are dragging me down. Haven't really drawn anything other than studies, but I have been doing more digi paintings thanks to Slash and others.

And a study/painting thing that I have to do for class tommorrow that I'm currently working on, also started a Bouguereau copy that I need to finish.

I don't know why I like the birdies...but even when I don't feel like doing anything else I can toy around with those so at least they keep me doing something

Edit: As finished as I'm going to get I think with the samurai thing.

Last edited by Aveh; November 20th, 2007 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey great start to your sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey your Figure studies are looking strong, maybe try and experiment with a different Media? like a brush Pen? Your digi stuff is improving, i can see this in the last post.. good stuff...i will check back again soon...so update?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. Now you need more value studies. Pick anything and just go very slowly to make sure it is all accurate. Find a good piece, change it to B/W and match values. Very good practice for what you are trying to accomplish. Try that BEFORE you do the master copy. You'd want to make sure you can handle values before venturing into a master copy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Must Update

I'ma post some of the pose maniac stuff I've been doin daily in hopes to get more comfortable sketching digital as well as pleasing Slash so he doesn't beat me.

Hopefully such a halfass post will force me to go scan stuff, I hate dealing with the computer lab to scan =|

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While the update is good, it can be better. First thing you want to do is get the pose and angle of the body down. I usually use a stick figure to get the leaning/tilting of the shoulders and hips down, that will pretty much determine the rest of the sketch for you. Also, when working with foreshortening, it's best to do the part that is closer to the viewer first as to get that part out of the way and work backwards from there. This will help you visualize the action or pose of the scene/sketch better and to help alleviate any worries that the particular part is too small or large.

Hope that helps bro!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    read some loomis, study the manikin frame. get that down and use it to get poses more accurate. pay more attention to your subject. as far as your rendering goes, do some studies ore more basic shapes, like spheres, cones, cubes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    klid : yeah I'm looking forward to the end of this semester so I can do some studying on my own without worrying about stuff due for classes.
    Stark : Yeah, thats true. A couple of people have been suggesting I start doing that, I do it during life drawings I don't know why I don't continue it when I'm drawing from imagination.
    Prophet: Thanks, I'm really trying to gain more confidence with my figures. I think I need a change of media also. I fear pen and ink so I think I'll try that soon.
    heatherisadork : Thank you =)
    Tigermilk : I did just that I have some studies to upload about that. Thanks for pointing that out.

A couple WIPs I'm working on, still trying to learn digi painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

small speedy

Didn't really draw as much as I shoulda today, was just lazy but I did get a smal self portrait done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dig the last piece.. try adding some complementary colours to add some more dimension to the portrait and get some detail in there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchjam thing

Did a little sketch thing with sine where we drew from the same image. I liked it cause most times I have a hell of a time coming up with stuff to draw when I'm not feeling inspired.

Also a little doodle I was doing before class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i definately dig the sinatra.. clean it up a little and you will be a professional pop-art-fag. I agree though we should do it more often. Your other piece is interesting. The lighting is good, but the hind leg has a significantly long 'middle' joint in comparison to the front leg. I still advise you to try using complimentary colors in your shadows, it really helps add some depth.. just a smidge of purple would do wonders.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sinatra, clear style, well done
    You should try to make more colors, and improve your Skill whit it
    keep it up man, improve!

Last edited by TheBeast; December 12th, 2007 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TheBeast: Thanks, I blocked in with the hard brush and liked how it looked and just noodled with it some more keeping it all hard edged. I definately need to explore some more colors, need to use more ref thats for sure.

SiNEjde: Yeah, The colors were just... actually I have no idea why I did those colors. As for the sketch I don't really like it much, but I work better when I don't have an empty canvas staring back at me so it will be a good starting point to do something else =P

I'm still strugglin with this squire thing I'm doing with war, I turned out this crappy thing which looks like a jcpenny model which I thought was pretty funny. Some beastlike woman I'm trying to gather ref to paint her in an environment and finally the study I did for Slash. Small update on the mastercopy I've been working on forever, been busy with classes so haven't had much time to work on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks, good, you sure got talent.

Try watch your proportions

I'll look forward to see more from you!

EDIT: On your signature, I like it, though I always were healer when I played WoW, haha

Last edited by Iliada; December 14th, 2007 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Heh. I love the description of it as leveling/grinding. That's really what it feels like sometimes, especially when you're doing life studies and stuff. Same stupid, pointless missions over and over again to win a few experience points. Except the act of arting is (usually) fun even when it's hard.

Keep going!

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studys again, but there is something wrong whit the hips, remember if the Body is in Motion-everything turns. try to practis whit stickfigures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a great mix of people we have in our SSG. I think we may have a shot at dominating the world. lulz

Don't forget to measure when you do your anatomy....a straight edge of any kind held perpendicular to the line of vision is all you need to gauge angle and transfer it onto your paper. That may help (so long as you're using reference!) I notced a couple of anatomical variances in the shoulders that need adjusting amongst your sketches.

Keep up the good work, your piles of anatomy are inspiring!

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your last post made me wet myself. those black and white figures are awesome man, keep up with that.. the other two are okay, the chick with the sword's leg is wonky tho. and the amazon woman doesnt have much going on, i like though man, can't wait for the next post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back to grinding

Looking back on this semester I definately can see a lot of improvement. Finally getting a consistent... albeit somewhat overwhelming schedule of life drawing and studies ( about 30hours per week) made a big difference. Opened my eyes to some strengths and weaknesses, that I hope to work on in the coming months.

Now that the 2 holidays have past I think I've relaxed and rested enough, I have approx. 2 1/2 weeks before classes and work start again, so I'm going to make an attempt to work on a few things that make me nervous going into some new classes.

Illida: Thanks, I really appreciate it. Yeah, thanks for calling me on the proportions, I need it, I don't check that enough.

Stoat: Thanks for checkin my stuff out. Yeah, I definately have a large attraction to the RPG genre, and they have a lot in common. For some reason it makes it easier for me to go about it when I think about it as gaining experience to level up. Yeah..... I'm a nerd =|

TheBeast: You are the second person to say almost that exact thing, I guess I do need to tackle some stick figures to try and iron that out. Thanks

LadyHydralisk: Thanks for the crit, looking back over them I see exactly what you are talking about. Yeah about the figure stuff I had a few more pads of stuff that I meant to get photographed but not having my own camera, I just never could get it done. I'll try to get some more up while I'm home.

SiNEjde: Thanks a lot man! That means so much to me, I'm hoping to make progress with values its one of my weaknesses. I never "see" things that dark and have a horrible time exaggerating it. We need to get this group back to active =P Start posting.

Pencil stuff has been scarce because it was such a hassle going to the computer lab and waiting in line to use a computer to scan, so I hope to do a major update within the next few days, till then a little study I did to start the juices flowing. I haven't touched my tablet since school got out O_O...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In regards to the above study

Something I like to do with backgrounds is to take a odd shaped brush, and use the smudge tool to "scrape" the paint around to give it a nice painterly effect....

When I squint it looks damned good, but her right hip bone seems to be squished out of her bikini a little too far, might want to draw that in a bit...her eyes are also very very dark....

Happy New Year

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress. I like the women who looks like venus, she has personality.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3