Art: Looking for paper

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for paper

Hey what's up everyone?

Where can I find some paper that I can use to practice my values in my life drawings? Right now I am using white, and newsprint. I would like to work on some poses and apply some noticeable highlights on them. Can anyone link me to a website that sells that kind of paper?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was looking for a brand name actually. My town only has ACMoore and they don't carry the toned paper I'm looking for. They told me it would better to find out from someone that does use it and buy them online. I want to make sure I am buying the right kind of paper before I order it online.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It sounds like from your post that what you're looking for is toned paper. Any art store should sell those 18/24'ish sheets of it for like a dollar apiece or so. That should give you a nice middle ground so that you can add some really nice highlights in white at the end of the drawing. Prismacolor white pencils are great, but they don't erase very well. White chalk is always good and erases, but then you have the problem where it will smear with your pencil or charcoal and give that awful "meaningless greys" look to your toned drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it all depends on the look you're going for. There's difference in weight and texture.
    If you choose a paper that is smooth it is easier to get into fine detail but harder to control
    dark values on compared to paper that has more tooth.
    Strathmore has nice paper, canson is a brand i like too.
    Make sure you choose paper that is designed for drawing, on the other hand it never hurts to experiment.
    Good luck

www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I think I will purchase a sheet from each brand and see what I like best. No, the ACMoore here where I live does not have any toned paper Thanks for help, fellas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dick Blick (link provided above by somebody else) sells Canson paper as well as other types of toned paper. You can probably order it from them through the mail but you might have to order a bunch of sheets.

You could also make fake toned paper by taking wet teabags and squashing them up and down on some regular white paper like Strathmore drawing paper or sponging watercolor onto such white paper. This method of faking it tends to make paper that is a bit water wrinkled. You might be able to dodge the wrinkles by fake toning something thick such as bristol board.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had heard great things about strathmore 400 series. I think its the quality that they advice to use in waterstreet atelier.

In the florence academy of art they advice to use fabriano roma, for long poses and casts. For shortposes they advice to use stonehenge paper. Those both are not cheap papers, so for croquis drawings use cheap newsprint.You can get both from
    http://www.dickblick.com/
    or
    http://talasonline.com/

If you dont want to order or pay that much... I would advice to use something with very natural "teeth" and as much cotton % as you can get. Durability is very important too.

Sorry for my poor english
    My life drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A very cheap alternative if it is only for practice but is not archival quality would be brown painter's masking paper which you can pick up at stores like home depot. It comes in a roll and you will have to cut the size you want. You might want to practice on that before using the more expensive artist quality toned sheets of paper.

As for quality toned art papers, I like strathmore artagain, it will take practically any dry medium. Earthbound sketchbook has light toned pages but the size is a bit on the small size.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the information everyone! Sorry for the late reply.

Members who have read this thread: 1