Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Paul Bonner Art Book!

So, It was only a few months ago when I was asking who a few pics were done by, and the answer came Paul Bonner.

After picking up Spectrum 14 on Amazon I saw something that made me swell with some excitement. << Paul Bonner has an art book coming out. His site is one thing, the face its water colors is another. I just thought this was a pretty sweet discovery.

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Forests-Ar.../dp/1845767055

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Damn, that's a long wait. Sweet find, though! Thanks for posting, testicle-quoter!

Thanks
    Sweeeeeeet!!!

Thanks
    Oh man, I hope I remember to pick that up. I looooooooove Bonner's work.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up! I just recently discovered his work, and it's amazing!
    2011 Sketchbook

New Helzon's SB R.I.P. Mike

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" -Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    I put that one on the wish list, and noticed that Ian Mcaig has a book coming out next August as well.
    LYON
    Fine Art and Illustration
    www.howardlyon.com

Twitter

Thanks

Bonner

I've been lucky enough to see an advance copy of Paul's book and it's gorgeous--there are many detail shots of his watercolors and even some sculptures of dinosaurs. I think Titan will have the book out in the UK this month and in the USA in Feb. (if memory serves). Here's a link to the Bonner website if anyone's interested: http://www.paulbonner.net/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnie Fenner View Post
    I've been lucky enough to see an advance copy of Paul's book and it's gorgeous--there are many detail shots of his watercolors and even some sculptures of dinosaurs. I think Titan will have the book out in the UK this month and in the USA in Feb. (if memory serves). Here's a link to the Bonner website if anyone's interested: http://www.paulbonner.net/
    Awesome!
    One of the things I've always wanted to see though, is his water color process and all that. Also, Curses for getting it earlier than us here in the u s of a

Thanks
    Has somebody got this book????

Thanks
    I have always thought of his works as being a bit confusing, there is too much detail going on... I do admire his craftmanship though! and his imaginative imagery!

Thanks
    Can't wait to get mine.
    2011 Sketchbook

New Helzon's SB R.I.P. Mike

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" -Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    My copy arrived a couple of weeks ago. A really beautiful addition to anyones library. It seems to cover his whole career from school and college right up to the present day. Plenty of detail and sketch shots and the print quality is superb. Each chapter covers a different body of work, and it's rounded off with a look around his studio with accompanying text from Paul describing work practice and philosophy.

BANNED_For_POOPY_PANTS Guest
    I've been waiting a LONG time for this book .

Thanks
    Wow, I have never seen his work before. Looks awesome, I will get the book some day. Thank you for posting.

Thanks
    yea, that dude is a god, i didnt know about this book though. Gonna have to pick it up.

Thanks
    AAAAgh,it is Out of Stock at Play.com.....anyone knows a good place to buy it with Free Delivery????

Thanks
    Anyone who has this book, does he describe his work process? Does he use straight watercolor or does he used a mixed media technique? I'm having a hard time believing that he uses solely watercolor, as I can see in the detail that he has a lot of light shapes overlapping dark shapes that seem almost impossible to achieve with watercolor unless he went through and outlined EVERY single value change, down to the pores of the skin. Thanks

Thanks
    this is just a guess, but i bet he uses watered down acrylics

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    its sitting in a shelf at my local comic book haunt. been contemplating getting it, but i only just finished paying off two other art books as it is.. maybe next week, its got some really nice stuff in it

Thanks
    Anyone get a chance to thumb through this book yet to confirm his working process?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 907 Posts
    its like... the best book ever. I look at it everyday and cry at how awesome it is. and uh, he works in watercolors and magic
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    He's been one of my top 3 favorite artists ever since I first saw his stuff for early 40k/Epic and Mutant Chronicles.

I've lost my Epic rulebook though. I'd really like to see more of his old pencil stuff, but I don't think it's included in this art book.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    just ordered it on amazon. *eagerly waits*

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ View Post
    He's been one of my top 3 favorite artists ever since I first saw his stuff for early 40k/Epic and Mutant Chronicles.

I've lost my Epic rulebook though. I'd really like to see more of his old pencil stuff, but I don't think it's included in this art book.

Bonner still did the best 40k Orks, imho. I still have my Waaaagh! The Orks! Book at least in part for his art.

Just ordered my copy of his art book the other day. Can't wait.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Anywhere I can see some Illos? I've never had a chance to see his 40k stuff as its not on his website.

Thanks
    Yeah, I just did a quick look and couldn't find much on the web, Bob. Most of his 40k stuff was black and white, but he did a half a dozen color covers and such too, notably the cover to the Freebooterz book.

I just got my book today and devoured it...it's got a healthy selection of his old 40k stuff in it, along with tons of other stuff and interesting stories from him and some people he worked with.

There's nothing specifically on his art process, but if you get the book there's lots of pictures in the back of his studio along with some good text on his creative process.

Definitely a great book!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to fukifino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome. I'm expecting mine tommorow!

Thanks
    Got this book a couple of month's ago and i still keep running to for inspiration specially on color and ORC'S!!!.

Thanks
    i think his technique is a guarded secret. maybe a base of watercolor with opaque gouache.

Thanks
    I got this book a month back and I keep going back to it for inspiration. Bonner has this way of conveying depth in a picture to the point where it no longer feels as though it's constrained to the page, like it has no bounds.

I saw no major information on his method other than the vague "watercolors" answer that we all seem to know. I would imagine he goes from watercolor to some watered down acrylics for strength. Or he truly is that damn good and we all suck... which is entirely possible too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast