Sketchbook: Stoat: it's all coming back to me...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Stoat: it's all coming back to me...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Stoat: it's all coming back to me...

Okay, here's my story. Went to RISD in the late '70s. Ran out of money after two years. Banged around for a few years as a freelance illustrator. My best work was pretty good...but I didn't always do my best work, and I was terribly slow. But, you know, I was getting there.

Then, to pay the bills, I took a job in the art department of a research and engineering company. Not bad. Kind of fun, really. Did everything from technical illustration to publication design. Any job where you draw pictures all day is a good job, right?

A couple of years in, we got our first computer, and I was. Just. Completely. Floored. Knocked out. Blown away. Bowled over. I lost it completely. For the next twenty years, I ate, slept and breathed computers. Gave up conventional illustration completely. I got to play with the earliest versions of image manipulation software (before Photoshop!) and 3D modeling programs. Scripting and programming languages. Markup languages. Publications software. Typographical software. Director. Shockwave. Shoot, I'd play with the operating system, if that's all I had to play with. I got a reputation for figuring out new technology quickly, so I got all the best toys first. I built prototypes. I *loved* my job.

So now it's, like, twenty five years later, and I'm pushing fifty (and it's pushing back!). I'm about to quit my job and move to the UK. And...I finally have to make up my mind what I want to be when I grow up. I don't think I want to chase the technology any more. I don't have the enthusiasm for new information that I used to have. Or maybe I'm just mentally slowing. I think I want to make art again. But with a technology assist.

Anyhow, of all the forums I looked at, CA seemed the most serious and professional. So I'll put a stake in the ground here, if I may...even if concept art isn't where I end up. This morning, I dug out my last ever sketchbook. There are no dates, but I think it's about 1984. Here's the frontispiece:

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Stoat; January 9th, 2008 at 12:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the next page in. Obviously, I had some kind of model for the top guy. I'm guessing a magazine picture. It turned into a painting: my last full oil painting. I'll have to dig that up this morning, too.

You'll notice from the standing guys that symmetry is something I don't do well. And yet, I often choose to draw symmetrical compositions. I think my weakness there niggles at the back of my mind, you know?

That's one area where digital painting makes it so much easier: flipping the illustration to work on it backwards. You can do similar things with conventional art (shining a light through the paper and looking from the back; tracing it and flipping the tracing), but it's so much more cumbersome.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, here we go. Excuse the reproduction; my scanner is busted (this would be too big for it anyhow). Sure, it's an homage to da Vinci, but mostly it's an effort not to paint his genitals. Not that I can't paint genitals, you understand. It's just that...once you've got genitals on the page, that's all anybody looks at.

Am I right? Am I right?

This is what makes the comic book guys such geniuses. All those people in tights. You can paint nudes without those terribly inconvenient winkies and thingies and such.

Huh. I like the sketch better than the painting (isn't that always the way?). The second guy is obviously derived from the same image, whatever it was. Oil on masonite panel. My favorite medium.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right. Back to the sketchbook. Next page: bird man.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Next page: Puss 'n Boots in sepia wash. Not a great drawing, but I did a little oil painting from it I was very proud of. I gave it away. I gave most of my finished work away.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    impressiove works, love how you put shades and lights on bodies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooo! My first comment. Thank you, toubab.

Here's the last from the sketchbook. I'm not too happy with the way I rendered the animals, but I still like the idea. I was going to make a big two-panel painting out of it, like a religious diptych. The other panel (for which there are drawings around here somewhere) was the wedding portrait of the Dish and the Spoon. The little painting is a watercolor study. I never finished it; a bigger drawing of this is as far as I got with it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mullets Are 4ever

Oh, god. May you live long enough to embarrass yourself this badly. This is me, around 1985.

The provenance of this image is interesting. It was a little oil-on-panel, about the size of the palm of my hand. The background is gold leaf (the one and only time I used gold leaf). I had the painting at my desk when, years later, we were loaned a color Xerox machine (back when they were a quarter of a million bucks). I blew up the image about 1,000% experimentally. This one is about three feet by three feet; you can see the seams.

Then I mounted it on foamcore stuck it on the wall. Which thoroughly pissed off...exactly the people I wanted to piss off thoroughly.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

speedysam267 is offline *a user title that is customized* Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those are some great paintings, and don't worry I think everyone as made a heroic pose at least once, they just didn't have a camera and canvas around!

keep posting, and How did you do the area within the circle for the last one? is that just light hitting the little ridges made by your brush?

sorry, I was thinking about something. what'd you say again?

>check out my sketchbook<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by speedysam267 View Post
    keep posting, and How did you do the area within the circle for the last one? is that just light hitting the little ridges made by your brush?
    That's the gold leaf. When I tried to burnish it on, the leaf began to rub off, so I left it. So there's a bit of the panel from below showing through on the knobbly parts.

And just make sure, when you strike your heroic pose for the canvas, you don't have a really stupid haircut!

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great works man. I especially love the all pencil drawings. You are a skilled painter too.
    Do you plan on going back to traditional drawing, or are you just showing us to see what people think of it nowadays?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
    Do you plan on going back to traditional drawing, or are you just showing us to see what people think of it nowadays?
    Hm. Probably both. I'm trying to psych myself up, I guess. When I hunted up the sketchbook this morning, I hadn't seen those images...since I drew them, I'll bet. I'm touching base with the last place I was at.

I've developed all kinds of technical skills since then, but I suspect my drawing ability is frozen in time. And drawing is the master skill from which all the others derive.

What I need most is to get back to life drawing, but that'll have to wait a while longer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great skill in pencil sketching, also great in painting too
    would u teach me?

zeroc sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=108389

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohhh man you've got some awesome stuff there. great sb

zephyri is offline professional guacamole maker Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, these sketches/works are gorgeous, the sort of work I might inspire to myself should I ever find the time to fiddle with oils. I love your pencil work, the form and light is just wonderful and I love how none of it really gets lost when you transfer to paint. The way you handle flesh in the medium is beautiful too. Fabulous and inspiring! Oh, and its great to hear of another artist who frequently gives work away too, I'm a sucker for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    after reading this i just have to ask
    which pieces are the recent ones? and if they are all old
    you have to start again man
    too good to go for so long neglecting it
    ps
    not tryin to give you a bunch of crap
    after my pancreas gave out on me this year
    ive become a bit of a ass hahaha

i would love to see more, and more recent, work from you
    the man elected jesus commands it haha

24. The Following User Says Thank You to trevor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awww...shoot, Trevor. You're no fun. We could've had a really good blood feud or something.

Okay! Enough with the memory lane already. It's back to the basics for this little weasel. How was your morning? Mine was beige. Very, very beige.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shoot. I was going to take this week's Spartan Camp #18 -- I need to loosen up and work faster and 50 gesture drawings seemed just the thing -- but I only got to eight before the phone rang and I got lumbered with a stupid job. Stupid clients. Stupid not-being-born-rich. I'm going to be hella busy between now and Sunday, so here's my stupid eight:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    H0ly shiet! o_O man u rock! love the birdman!! anyways about that black painting u talked about. yeah that is weird stumbled apon the same situation too, but i found 5 black paintings with the headline "5 words"... and i was like... "um..OK?!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, you draw well, the best way to learn is to teach, so why not teach?, i think that would be the best choice you could make in your life... think about it. keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Christian but...teaching? Holy cow! There're kids on this site half my age who blow me away! I got some serious catching up to do...

This lady showed up on our corporate website this morning winning an award or something, and she was just so shiny and pink...like delicious candy...

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would love to see more of your old pencil style, but newer images. I think you should try to relive the style where you have shading, and while it is a delicate looking shadow, it gives the image all it's personality. I am not sure if I described it quite right, but my favorites were the minimal shading pencil renderings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, ThaHellion. I'm itching to get back to traditional media, too. I'm in the middle of a complex move, though, and all my art stuff is packed up. It's going to be a few months, at least, until I can unpack it in a new workspace.

Until then, I figured it was a good opportunity to play with Photoshop. I've done business graphics with PS, but I've never before tried to get arty with it. I'm having loads of fun, but this doesn't really look like me.

zephyri is offline professional guacamole maker Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, i love the look of the coffee in that cup, looks like it might spill out of the screen. ehehe. And I think, to say you've never really used it for artistic purposes that you seem to have a great handle on the ways of painting in PS. That last sketch reminds me a little of Zhu Zhu's work: http://zhuzhu.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow these are really good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uuuuuuuuum, amazing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm having totally STUPID amounts of fun playing with Photoshop. And, yes, I really did have a red velvet sailor suit like that...for about ten minutes. Then I think they realized I was going to set fire to the house in the night if they made me wear it. I was youngest; I got hand-me-downs. But god knows when that thing was handed down from -- a Victorian orphanage, by the look of it.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha your crativity is a great thing. I like it when someones personality comes right out in their work.

The birdman, I also enjoyed...what about bringing him back and doing a nice digital? I don't know exactly what your wanting to dig back into though. thanks for correcting my aweful 'beetle' spelling. Don't be a stranger, I want to see what you do in the future

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA Stoat, and to the sketchbook section.

The oils are what get me, just beautiful. Not sure about that haircut though .
    Hope you keep posting and updating this thread, would be cool to see the progression in a year. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *jahmy*cooOooffeee........oh sorry, it looks so delicius^^
    realy great work here, please go on.... i want to see more!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 136