Concealed Nakedness Pencil Drawing

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow Concealed Nakedness Pencil Drawing

hi there guys,

i completed this in July this year- drawn without reference. i'm not totally satisfied with how the drawing came out technically, but i am happy of the overall outcome very much. this drawing reflects on a part of my life... i have written a poem and general meaning in the next paragrpah but it'll be interesting to hear your critiques and your interpretations on this drawing.

Poem:
    She was a naive being
    Always carried the innocent thought
    That life was always filled with vibrance and beauty
    Positive feelings was all she knew

Then one day darkness and gloom rained on her
    Just like how positive and negative always come together
    Hurt and pain trickled through her veins
    All the fears not worth her tears

Emotional roots tangle and suffocate
    She sunk deep into the emotions
    Scanning down to the very depth
    Where she found a heaven that her beauty truely lies

She danced and swirled in the moods of darkness
    Ignoring the childish spirits of others
    Even when they grasp every means to taunt and slash at her
    Once again the positive in her arises
    Enjoying the fruits of Concealed Nakedness
    .................................................. ..........................................
    General Meaning Of The Drawing:
    everyone has been hurt by others, including myself. everyday we tend to think and we look at our inner selves. even so, we are self-concious on how people might look at us from the outside like judging a book by its cover.

the significance of the hair represents a problem ( am example of many problems we face daily ), a trouble, a complication thus its tied into a knot. black and white represents good and evil. i believe there is nothin in between good and evil such as half good. it attracts like how positive with negative like magnetic forces. the white hair is generally neater and pure, while the black as you can see is rather disoriented and messier than the white hair, which in this case made the messy black hair disoriented. finally the hair black and white seperates, a problem, a trouble's resolved.

the background represents a lonely gloom, like clouds rotating like a giant whirl of mood she sunk herself into. its how i visualize a surreal form of how we look at ourselves from within.

her pose is in a dancing position. dancing away all her troubles, fears and uncertainties. the hair ends with a slight glow representing understanding in an emotional form. she touches it and understands how to cope with the trouble.
    .................................................. .......................................

Pencils: 2b, 6b
    this drawing is done with no reference
    done probably around 11hrs

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice piece and good job with the background. Two things that can be fixed is that the face doesn't look very symmetrical. Her right cheek is wider than the left one. Another thing, that might be more personal is that the hair strands of the white hair are very uniform and kinda too perfect to go along the flow of the hair. There are always strands of hair that go in different direction than the general hair flow, which is sometimes a small detail that gives it more realism.

A last thing, I am not so sure but the guess seems a bit big for her body. Not so sure about that, so you can disregard that. Hope that helps.

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    First off, there's very little if no seperation of background and foreground, mainly becasue of similar values.

A lot of your reasoning is very sketchy. dancing = eluding trouble, glowing = understanding.... the connection seems to be an afterthought. Even if it's not, without reading your description I never would have guessed that she was dancing or that her hair was glowing. Communication is important in visual art; if you don't communicate effectively and efficiently, you lose people and seem to HAVE to explain away your problems with communication. If I looked at your image, I would see a sad (or even just tired, since there's very little emotion in her face) girl who has her hair tied. At most it seems like a restrictive motif, since the hair seems to be pulling her head down.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    what the crap? youre explaining concept and meaning of your work? did you not read the memo "warroir robots and naked girl demons only"

hmmm...well the statement helps me understand a lot.

she doesnt look to be dancing. it looks more like she was asleep on a cloud and has just awakened and is leaning with one arm propping herself up, and you ask her "where would you like to eat" and she tilts her head and says sheepishly "oh i dont care wherever". and man, i hate indecisiveness.

black and white representing good and evil is reeeaaally cliché.

i actually knew a girl who had her hair dyed like that, but that's getting off topic. the rendering of the form is well done. but it does feel limited, meaning you could only give it as much attention as your imagination would be able to justify allotting, instead of observing it from a source. that's not to dismiss the act of drawing from imagination, but merely to have the support of reference reinforcing your actions.

the height of her shoulders relative to the placement of her breasts seems off. take off your shirt and go look in a mirror, see how when you put one shoulder up like that the position of your nipple change? yeah now put your shirt back on. and dont say "but i covered the nipples you don't know that i made that mistake for sure". i'm a guy, i have x-ray vision in these sorts of things.

the armpit is missing some musculature. the teres major and part of the pectoral muscle seem to be not as pronounced as i think they would be in that pose. hmm, maybe i confused the name (teres might be on the back) the beast-to-armpit-muscle is what i mean.

the face is safe. its feminine, and technically by-the-books correct, but theres no real substance to individuality. she seems fairly generic. her cheekbones are rather flat. she seems like a face, rather than a skull with flesh, sinew, and muscles.

the composition is arranged in an 'X'. you see that? that's not really a bad thing. its just something i'm not too sure was a conscious descision. you have implied visual lines leading toward every corner. i'm usually not a fan of 'X' compositions (the viewers eye tends to race off to a corner, or get stuck on a central axis point), but thats just personal taste.

okay i know i just whined endlessly about minor problems, but i like this piece. i'd like to see more of your work, this is well made.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WHY??? I JUS ASKED 4 FOR OPINIONS AND U ALL ARE INSULTING ME??? Nah. thank you all for the honest words. i appreciate it.

Maestro: i knew there were some uneven proportions on her face, but i'm glad that you pointed out still. tnxz for opinions as well

Rhineville: thanks also i noticed about lack of seperation between the background and object when i 1st posted the drawing online. but i am not very sure how to make her 'pop' out more.
    most of the meaning are not last-minute thought-up, but you're right on the communication part thanks, i can learn fews things from ya post already

Grief: ha thank you very much for your comment and opinion . i think then i should really tone down on the cliche part on my future pieces ( and I suspect my lastest wip work is kinda cliche too >.< ). Lots of very good points, i'll bear those in mind for the positioning part at that time, i just simply drew out a figure, but i did not try and analyze which goes where, a fault of mine thanks again

As artists, we should inspire and get inspired!

www.atrapado.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyusflare View Post
    WHY??? I JUS ASKED 4 FOR OPINIONS AND U ALL ARE INSULTING ME???

Sorry for the useless post, but that was hilarious...

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyatt Thrash View Post

Sorry for the useless post, but that was hilarious...
    Yeash I apologize too but this thread now needs:

Concealed Nakedness Pencil Drawing

The one comment I can make on a serious note is that I think the background should be lighter, so the figure pops out more. I kind of get lost in the piece when I look at it, becuase the values are all so similar. BUT this does not make it a bad peice, please keep creating I'd like to see what else you have coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry boyusflare for hijacking the thread, but...

Pezzle did you draw that? That's ALSO frigging hilarious! Thanks Boyus & Pezzle for making my day!

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all I am not a critic and even not an artist. Just a student who studies engineering. So I should not even write these words. But I have an awful problem about expresing whatever I'm thinking and unfortunatly I had to write this.

She looks like sleeping. Her expression does not look like someone who escapes from their problem. How would I know? Because I do it all the time and I ironically have a smile on my face whenever I do it.

I hope I did not go so far. (Especially when you think of my field. : ) )

Last edited by biteofevil; November 6th, 2007 at 11:14 PM.
    A very wise man told me once; "Get laid beofre it gets late."

What will I do with the freewill, if I am unable to use it to end my life whenever I am so pleased.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whyatt_thrash: haha no probs!

Pezzle: lol that pic is really funny and thank you for your critique, now i know what to do about my future pieces about values

biteofevil: hey its alright, i accept all critiques! hmm about the expression, i did not intend to make her facial features happy-like, as i wanted this drawing to have both negative and positive feel. but i'll definitely try my best to improve the emotional values and expressions ( i know i'm not tt good at it now ). o and you have no idea how often i escape from my probs too haha. thanks for ya comment ^^

Last edited by Boyusflare; November 7th, 2007 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Besides that good crit already given I would like to add some composition issues: the sun / moon is visible exactly 1/4 directly in the corner of the canvas, and the fingers are cropped exactly at the fingertips. Things like that make the image either boring (sun in the corner) or make it look like the crop (fingers) did happen rather accidentally.
    So try cropping elements so they appear cropped on purpose You just need to check some things and that will improve the effect of your artwork a lot! Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyusflare View Post
    biteofevil: hey its alright, i accept all critiques! hmm about the expression, i did not intend to make her facial features happy-like, as i wanted this drawing to have both negative and positive feel. but i'll definitely try my best to improve the emotional values and expressions ( i know i'm not tt good at it now ). o and you have no idea how often i escape from my probs too haha. thanks for ya comment ^^
    Well thanks for excepting my critique seriously. : ) I mean I do not know what is your profetion is but I would not be as understanding about it as you would do. (Actually I am lying. I do not give a damn when people critisize me : ) I generaly give all my attention to the carpet. May be that is why I have kind of artist eye. lol)

About being a fugitive of your own life; well the smile I was talking like that sorrow smile you have when you escape from everything but you damn well know one way or another you have to go back to face them. (Hell I should not leave psychology after the first year. I could express it a little better I gess. And my crapy English might be another issue about it. lol)

Thanks again.

A very wise man told me once; "Get laid beofre it gets late."

What will I do with the freewill, if I am unable to use it to end my life whenever I am so pleased.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascallo View Post
    Besides that good crit already given I would like to add some composition issues: the sun / moon is visible exactly 1/4 directly in the corner of the canvas, and the fingers are cropped exactly at the fingertips. Things like that make the image either boring (sun in the corner) or make it look like the crop (fingers) did happen rather accidentally.
    So try cropping elements so they appear cropped on purpose You just need to check some things and that will improve the effect of your artwork a lot! Good luck!
    thanks for your advice i'll do some prep works next time before i start on each piece

Quote Originally Posted by biteofevil View Post
    Well thanks for excepting my critique seriously. : ) I mean I do not know what is your profetion is but I would not be as understanding about it as you would do. (Actually I am lying. I do not give a damn when people critisize me : ) I generaly give all my attention to the carpet. May be that is why I have kind of artist eye. lol)

About being a fugitive of your own life; well the smile I was talking like that sorrow smile you have when you escape from everything but you damn well know one way or another you have to go back to face them. (Hell I should not leave psychology after the first year. I could express it a little better I gess. And my crapy English might be another issue about it. lol)

Thanks again.
    lol thanks for explaining, well its not your english, some lines have opposite double meanings ( one saide maybe sometimes not intended ). ok i just typed gibberish...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.