Art: i think i gone all analog?!?!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

i think i gone all analog?!?!

Im going backwoods and all analog'y!! just thought id show you some of the kit i got sorted out today. I thought sod it, im not paying some one else to develop my film for me at 7 uk pounds a pop!! ill do it my self. so i went out to jessups today and had a 30 minit conversation with them, they took time out to show me how to use it, what to do, what i needed, as as no one wants the stuff any more, i got it all cheep!! they even give me a nackerd role of film to practices loading in the pitch dark. So a shout out goes to the 2 jessups stores in shrewsbury

it will be next month before i get a film scanner so you will see some of the results then

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im going backwoods and all analog'y!!
    Nah dude, you're progressing forward! There's nothing like making you appreciate photography more than processing your own film.

One thing about it is that it makes you think before pressing the shutter release button which is something that I think digital doesn't do a good job at.

I should be getting back into the darkroom pretty soon.

I'm so excited for you!

Sorry if all of that looks rambled, I got a bit giddy for a few minutes. We need more film geeks around here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u a done some of your own development your self? if all im doing is developing the film, not suing a enlarger or anything, is it still the same chemicals? it sounds strange but im not using a enlarger, im going to digital after the development of the film by scanning the negs, i just think that b&w is so much better with film. If this goes well i may get me a medium format camera

Last edited by samsite999; November 3rd, 2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: very very bad spelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, developing and printing involve the same chemicals. It's just the outcome and the timing that's different and of course developing is more structured by temperature than anything else.

Once you get the hang of developing, you'll love it. Especially if you manage to land your hands on an enlarger (like our Mr. Mu who I'm quite jealous of right now... ) you'll want to print them instead of just scanning them in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, I've always used a different developed for prints than negatives! Because you need a paper developer for the prints. But, if you're going to be scanning them in it doesn't matter, just go for the negative dev. It looks like you got a stop bath there in the photo, but you don't really need it with modern film. Just rinsing it with water instead of the stop bath should be just fine (you will need a stop bath if you're making prints though - same one as for the negs but different proportion). The one thing I would strongly recommend would be...what do they call it..."hypo." There's another name for it, too. But basically it reduces streaking and helps the negatives dry faster. Very helpful stuff, you only use a little bit of it so it last a while, too.

Good to see you joining the club!!! hehehehe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eazym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahoy! new film nerd on starboard!

Sam,

I practically ate up all the info I could get my hands on over the web and books and what not on analogue film development, so I'll be glad to help you out should any question arise.

If you have never done it before the most important thing is: just do it! All of the instructions and stuff sound a bit complicated, but once you did it once or twice you realize it's all very simple.

if all im doing is developing the film, not suing a enlarger or anything, is it still the same chemicals?
    totally. No difference.

it sounds strange but im not using a enlarger, im going to digital after the development of the film by scanning the negs
    not strange at all. There's millions of people doing it. check out this flickr group http://www.flickr.com/groups/predigital/ for images of scanned negs.

Eazy is right on the hypo clearing agent. But make sure to really use only a few drops! Otherwise your film will be full of soap bubbles.

Things you should get in addition:

- measuring cylinders for mixing the solutions
    - plastic bottles for the solutions to keep them in (either for repeated use as with some devs or to keep them in til you dispose of the solutions in your local recycling station/ waste treatment area)

In Germany, disposal of photo chemicals is free at the recycling stations. There is some talk about how pouring developer down the toilet shouldn't trouble the sewage plants, but my opinion is, if you take the trouble to get rid of the fixer there why not just take the developer there, too?

And you definitely have to properly dispose of the fixer: its silver halides are highly dangerous for the biochemical processes of any sewage plants and as such definitely not a candidate for the toilet.

Have fun and I am looking forward to your results, mate.

EDIT: I forgot to add that in most cases the proprietary scanning software delivered with the hardware sucks bilge water. I shelved out the 40 bucks for Vuescan and never regretted it - quite on the contrary. Waiting 15 minutes for a high resolution scan because the software you use sucks is no fun. Most people use either silverfast or vuescan. Try what you get with your machine and don't waste your time trying to fine tune it in case you find it sucks. There's better software out there.

Last edited by Mr. Mu; November 4th, 2007 at 06:22 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Mu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well the second stage is under way. Got me a scanner today. I went for a flat bed film scannerin the end. simply because i can do more with it. I wanted a epson one but the only one i could find in the end was a HP scan jet 4850.

i also managed to get a air con unit for 40 quid lol, ex=display! cant pass a deal like that up
    its funny the things you go out for and come back with

im going to have a go at the development tonight. my bathroom has no windows so its going to be great for it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also, Sam, make sure your "darkroom" is COMPLETELY light tight. Go in there, close the door and sit around for about 5 minutes, so your eyes can get accustomed to the dark. Then carefully look around, plug up any light leaks. Basically, you shouldn't be able to see your hand in front of you.

PPS, check out http://digitaltruth.com/ if you're not sure of the film development times with your particular agent/film combination. Useful info there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    right >> update. i have the film drying at the moment in the bathroom. Ill leve it for 2 houres before i scan it to make sure its dry.

the experience, well first of im crap with maths lol. emm worked out all the correct parts per ect and mesuments. Ill be writing down the lot and putting it on the bathroom wall in a chart.

It took me 10 minits!! i say 10 minits to load the dam film on the fing spindle to put in to the tank. that was a very stressfull moment for me lol. then i triped and nocked over the bottles of chemicals and nearly fell in the bath. if it hadnt have been so important to me, it would have been funny!!

all chemicals loaded, water, and then fixer, water and then dryed,

its hanging in the bathroom as we speek. The scanner (i hate vista) was crap to set up but is working. I got silverfast in the end. the twain software that came with it was incredibly poor. its that bad i may take it back tomorrow and get a epson from somewere

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if i ever get another HP scanner, ill already be dead and in hell. i have the film but the scanner is doing a really relay crap

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if it hadnt have been so important to me, it would have been funny!!
    trust me... it is funny!

Can't wait to see some pics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    right, sorry all, you would have had some photos, but HP thought otherwise. next time you see some one from HP, punch them for me please. they make possibly the worced scanners i have ever used. if i wasnt about to box this up and find a recept. it would be in about 1 milion bits

honestly all. i worked for epson for 3 years, on the scanner department working with there scanners day in and day out at professional print level. please if you value quality, speed, design do not get a HP scanner. i wanted one in a hurry and i have wasted a hole night with drivers and using 3rd party software because the built in twain is so poor

go for a epson and a lower extent a canon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay guys let me get this straight... you don't need an enlarger.. ( that's one thing that has scared me from film) and second how much do these scanners cost?

THE MANCHESTER HIGH SCHOOL/MINISTRY OF HEALTH HIV/AIDS MURAL

I take pics too

THE SPECIAL AID BOOK( my sketchbbook duh)

"The greatest works of art still are and will always be by the masters of the old"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you only need an enlarger if you're making prints that are bigger than your negatives.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a good one here( film scanner) will cost you about 100 uk pounds. you only need an enlarger if you want to make chemical prints from ur photos, i just wanted to develop the film, scan it to pc and then print it

hope that helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.filmscanner.info/

has all the info about the machines, but it's all in German. Maybe you can let google translate it or something. It's got a comparison page here:

http://www.filmscanner.info/FilmscannerRangliste.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, I'm all about uploading and printing out from my computer. The enlarger can come later on in life when I can afford one. I just realized that our school lab has some killer scanners but they're only for "advanced" students, and I'm going to give it a look mr mui!

THE MANCHESTER HIGH SCHOOL/MINISTRY OF HEALTH HIV/AIDS MURAL

I take pics too

THE SPECIAL AID BOOK( my sketchbbook duh)

"The greatest works of art still are and will always be by the masters of the old"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well the HP scanner went back today and i got a full refund. i spoke to a mate at epson who sorted me out a epson perfection 4490 with next working day delivery 12 month warringy for 100 quid. Couldn't argue with that!

its a realy nice scanner or so i have been told.

Ivy, get your self down there or go out and get your self a scanner. You can get a half deasont film scanner here for about 60 pounds. its always great to learn something new. And its just nice to be able to do it your self insed of letting a photo lab potently mess up your photos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ITS HERE!!!
    Scanning at the moment so ill start a new thred for my non digital work

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.