Wizard of Light
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Wizard of Light

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wizard of Light

I am still learning, but here is my latest Illustration. I did this using Photoshop from the sketch to the final piece.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey - some suggestions

You have too much detail and competing values. You know your figure is where you want your viewer to look but he is very hard to make out. Things are too busy. Less is more - start sacrificing details and figure out how you want to use value to lead the viewers eye. Mine first goes straight to the lower right hand corner cause of the very high contrast and the detail of the texture you have applied. Then it goes to the top with the branch silhouetted against the sky - then it finally settles on the figure which again I could hardly figure out at first. If you squint it will be apparent that you have darks and lights everywhere and your piece becomes cluttered and very hard to read. Also it looks like youre using dodge and burn? Try staying away from that.

hope that helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work for a beginning, i have just really started to and found the comment rascar capac put in very helpful, i love the concept behind it and the Wizard is great, i would agree that less is more, and in this case possible changing the rocks you have as i find they are what i look at because they are do defined, anyway keep up the good work and the more you do the better you get

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't just texture fill objects like you did. It makes it look flat and weird. You need to add perspective to the texture.
    Here's what you do:
    1. Draw the object you want filled in (ie. the ground)
    2. Make a new layer
    3. Fill that layer in with your texture (it will fill the whole page)
    4. Widen the bottom of that layer and make the top narrower and squeeze the whole thing down some, too.
    5. Go back to the layer that you want filled (ie. the ground)
    6. Create a mask around that layer and then invert the mask
    7. Go back to the texture layer and erase what's in the mask
    8. Combine the two layers into one and then shade it

That'll add perspective to the texture. Another trick I like to do with big layers like ground or floors is to blur the top a bit so that it looks like it's going out of focus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascar Capac View Post
    hey - some suggestions

You have too much detail and competing values. You know your figure is where you want your viewer to look but he is very hard to make out. Things are too busy. Less is more - start sacrificing details and figure out how you want to use value to lead the viewers eye. Mine first goes straight to the lower right hand corner cause of the very high contrast and the detail of the texture you have applied. Then it goes to the top with the branch silhouetted against the sky - then it finally settles on the figure which again I could hardly figure out at first. If you squint it will be apparent that you have darks and lights everywhere and your piece becomes cluttered and very hard to read. Also it looks like youre using dodge and burn? Try staying away from that.

hope that helps
    The suggestions are great, thank you for your advise. I will keep that in mind for the next project. It is very helpful, thanks again...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by awooldri View Post
    Nice work for a beginning, i have just really started to and found the comment rascar capac put in very helpful, i love the concept behind it and the Wizard is great, i would agree that less is more, and in this case possible changing the rocks you have as i find they are what i look at because they are do defined, anyway keep up the good work and the more you do the better you get
    Thank you Awooldri...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Reed View Post
    Don't just texture fill objects like you did. It makes it look flat and weird. You need to add perspective to the texture.
    Here's what you do:
    1. Draw the object you want filled in (ie. the ground)
    2. Make a new layer
    3. Fill that layer in with your texture (it will fill the whole page)
    4. Widen the bottom of that layer and make the top narrower and squeeze the whole thing down some, too.
    5. Go back to the layer that you want filled (ie. the ground)
    6. Create a mask around that layer and then invert the mask
    7. Go back to the texture layer and erase what's in the mask
    8. Combine the two layers into one and then shade it

That'll add perspective to the texture. Another trick I like to do with big layers like ground or floors is to blur the top a bit so that it looks like it's going out of focus.
    Justin,
    Thanks for the tips on textures and ground work. I messed around with it a little to see what you were talking about and it does make a great deal of difference. I couldn't get it to look right yet, but it will just take some practice. Messing with the perspective was making the pebbles and rocks look stretched. It looks as though you have provided a new learning curve for me, thanks for the help...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascar Capac View Post
    hey - some suggestions

hope that helps
    Rascar,
    I wanted to let you know that I have changed the overall look of the illustration because of you. I still need to do all the little touch ups on it, but it is already an improvement. I enlarged that character, moved the tree on the left back, got rid of the dodge and burn, changed the color of the sky a little by adding some blue hue to it. I am in the process of finishing up my finals for school, but I have plans to finish redoing the illustration and repost. I appreciate all the critiques...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

10. The Following User Says Thank You to awooldri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the link to the revised version.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110060

Can't wait to hear what you guys have to say on the improvements and if there is anything else I should know.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.