Sketchbook: Sketchbook of Might and Magic-Wrestling the sucking, be back in a month

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook of Might and Magic-Wrestling the sucking, be back in a month

Hello,Jesus Da Silva here. Thank you for visiting my sketchbook.
    Be sure to check last page for updates, feedback appreciated

(Edit* kitten image added for display on 15/11/2008)

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Renegade89; December 21st, 2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Changed title
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good to see you posted a sketchbook! Yeah, your referenced piece is definitely the strongest (for obvious reasons), though I'm not entirely sure what's going on with that dark splotch between her head and shoulder. Keep up drawing from reference because it shows when you start drawing from your mind when you don't have a good feel for what you're doing. Our masked man's legs look like they'd be too small to support his body, and at first looked like some mechanical entity with teeth chewing him up. The spear fella's shoulder looks dislocated and his polearm looks like it's got some perspective/foreshortening issues. The third one, the girl's face looks skewed and the guy's arm is pretty short.

Your first piece really was good though. I'd love to see more of those from you, keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. Good to see you've started a sketchbook. Post some more things asap so we can all see where you stand. Copying popular manga characters doesn't really give us anything to go off of. The portrait type drawing is a good start, try using a broader range of values in your pieces, all the mid-grays are really bringing everything down, because it's all too flat, not much here in terms of depth.

Keep posting.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

On it

Quote Originally Posted by Sepulverture View Post
    Copying popular manga characters doesn't really give us anything to go off of.
    I know, manga fan art is badly seen(and i understand why) i try to keep it at minimun, just when i fell like been childish the fifth one is a birthday present for a friend, the black hair girl is supposed to be her lol.The mask guy is belongs to a buddy.No more fan art, i promise.

I am on it right now, i found a few stuff in my folder, im trying to find other portraits thought or still life, is been a while and most of what i did i gave them away as gifts, but i think i still have some, ill update again more late at night after i scan (is 5:30 o clock here) or tomorrow tops.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont think its that manga art is bad in the first place...it is because of its emphasis on disproportionate limbs, faces, etc....that for a newcomer to art should be wary of, and yet many ignore these warnings. I love the style of manga, but as a foundation it will steer you on the wrong course.

As far as crits would go from me - I would say to try and vary your line weight a bit more to help you push and pull the figure/objects within the image. Right now because of the heavy use of dark outline they tend to fall flat...even the very first pencil image of the girl. Also, push your darks/lights more when working with pencil to give better depth.

-TeT-

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

Sorry for the delay, here are a few more of my drawings, im sorry, but i couldn't find any more portraits or still life, i really gave all of them away, The first 3 are referenced but they are really OLD, the first one is from a Diego Velazques painting and the second one from painting by David Alfaro Siqueiros.
    What im going to do is try to find a little time during this week to sit down around my house and draw some still life or something to show where im at this exact moment, a little patience please.

The other ones are rough practices i have done,with random ideas or when im bored,i do a bunch of those, so i can post them regularly if you wish.
    The last was one is a bit old too, early practice on vanishing points. I was going to post some of my anatomy notes and references, but most of them are in notebooks and are very rough, i rather take some time to pass them in white sheets, that way i can retake some info too, again, some patience.

I downloaded the Andrew loomis books, im going to have a blast with those over the weekend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
    I dont think its that manga art is bad in the first place...it is because of its emphasis on disproportionate limbs, faces, etc....that for a newcomer to art should be wary of, and yet many ignore these warnings. I love the style of manga, but as a foundation it will steer you on the wrong course.
    -TeT-
    Tetsuo: I agree with you, before working on any particular style is required to know about the foundations first , if not is a step in the wrong direction.I do like the style a lot but when is done properly, and i sure would want to be able to draw in another way if i want to eventually, and not to be stuck in one style forever, thats what i think is the best thing of studying the foundations.

As for the line weight, ill keep it on mind and try to work more on that

thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I won't say anything on the ref pics since you said they're really old, so I'll start out with your other characters. When you draw hair, it sometimes looks like it's stuck to your character's face... or wrapping around it. I mean the first two guys on the top row of the fourth pic (the guys right of the filler bunny) don't look like they have much volume to their hair, and doesn't quite register as bangs, rather something like face paint hair or something. You got it going on in some of your other drawings, but it's not as apparent. I'd also like to see some bulkier armor or clothes on your character because they too seem to wrap around your character's form a lot of time. Otherwise it looks like you're making progress with the boxed forms and perspective thing, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your style dude.. very round and fresh.
    I think your referenced pieces are the best so keep drawing from life!
    Keep It up, love to see more.

Please veiw my sketchbook

:
    In the absence of light, dark will prevail.

see my NEW sketchbook[UPDATED] http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=123027
    Trained by...
    http://www.thedrawingstudio.co.nz/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some more rough junk and randomnes

Yep, the title says it . I havent had the chance to sit and draw this few days, most of my time im with an uni book in my hand and once in a while i take air and check the internet, i made a couple of wips for portraits and still life but havent finished them yet, will try to get at it past tomorrow after my math midterm.

But i went to the junk box and pull a couple of things to post while at it, some rough sketches i made a while ago, and some practice building hands with simplified shapes and vanishing points,that one is a bit more recent, i still trying to get a hold of it.

Just for the record, i dont draw hentai lol, that was me fooling around, i was thinking on a new design and practicing a bit but i got tired and started making doodles of chicks around as a joke, is crappy but it makes me smile once in a while, so i post it, just being funny.
    The color one is a bit older than the one i posted before, some of the same critiques made on that one can go here as well i think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drunken: Yes, i get what you say about the hair, is definitely something i try to work on, hair is important for me, lots of the designs i make have a fair share of hair, so i must keep an eye on that.

Jailhouse: Thanks, glad you like it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, we both gotta update our sketchbooks... have you been sticking to loomis books? or what have you been studying in particular? I actually have too much on my plate at the moment (Atlas of the Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Roger Peck, Loomis books, I need to get some other books as well.... and to top it off, I've gotta practice some 3D modeling too o_O')

Drunken Sketches - crit me, crit me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey drunken, yeah man, im with you o.O i need an update. I have taken this week to retake a bunch of stuff, as i didnt had a proper schedule for drawing because uni midterms, i have been using the time i get to practice,read and update notes, im using loomis first couple of book to refresh, i found Hogarth´s book on hands, i was looking for it for a while, is pretty cool ,and some info on color theory im putting some attention in.
    Im updating my anatomy notes, and redrawing in clean sheets,with new ones, i have a some i can scan already,from the upper body, and 2 portrait wips i have been putting aside to much. i still need a couple hours for each, im rusty.
    3D modeling is pretty cool, i learned maya for a while but i think i forgot everything -__- too much time without using it. Hope you get to update soon as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some notes

Yep, some anatomy notes i already scaned, i want to take my time to make as much as these as i can, they help me a lot.The faces were a short practice i did today,but anyways.Ill try to update more soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your muscles and skull studies are looking pretty good! I think I'd like to see a bit more hand studies (and maybe some foot studies) because the profile view of the arm looks like you've just kind of did it quickly. I noticed you did a page of hand studies before, perhaps you could do another one, or try drawing your own hand all fleshed out. Damn... I really need to start drawing muscles...I'm going to ask you to kick my ass on this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

little update

Yep, pretty much like the previous post, a few notes on muscles an anatomy.

Drunken, yes i will be working a lot with construction of the hands and make different studies, ill post a few pages soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken_hand View Post
    Damn... I really need to start drawing muscles...I'm going to ask you to kick my ass on this one.
    got it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    buenos estudios hombre, el death note esta bueno tbn jeje...creo q el mejor consejo es q dibujes de referencia..y aprende de eso..sigue posteando!

"dear diary:..jackpot" my sketchbook

team chow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Boobies!

Havent updated in a while, maybe not in a while more cause holidays and stuff. Im working heavily on some subjects, and taking some advantage of the little holiday break, ill put something more when i get the chance. For now a few random stuff from the junk box, and a drawing that i uploaded some time ago to the hispanic sketchgroup in my sig, i used it to practice colors but didnt finished, im getting sick of the mouse, probably wont paint more until i find a cheap tablet at least, i started to have issues with my wrist -_-.

But anyways, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    de donde estas agarrando la referencia para el cuerpo humano? luego te paso un pdf muy buen de un libro de figura humana. aqui no lo tengo pero recuerdame.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Villa View Post
    de donde estas agarrando la referencia para el cuerpo humano? luego te paso un pdf muy buen de un libro de figura humana. aqui no lo tengo pero recuerdame.
    Muchos de los q he subido son de imagenes de libros de medicina q consigo, de distintos charts de musculatura, de libros me he basado en Loomis, este ultimo mes he estado tratando de ponerme mas aplicado con los brazos y las manos,q siempre he pasado mal rato, y me consegui el "Drawing Dynamic hands" de Hogarth. El Brigman "Complete ..." hace poco tiempo lo consegui tambien, no he tenido chance de profundizar mucho en ese aun, se me han amontonado las cosas.

Si tienes uno nuevo, genial , mientras mas recursos mejor, yo me recuerdo , y gracias x pasarte

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some hogarth

Hi hope you all had nice holidays.
    This post seems kinda pointless, but already scanned this so ill give it a go. They are some notes from "drawing dynamics hands " by Burne Hogarth. I have been needing some more insight on arms and hands and his aproach has been useful, also working with Brigman.

Hogarth seems to be very recomended, but i notice waay to much exagerations in his books, i dont think ill be using any other from him.

Ill post some artwork and more interesting studies as soon as i can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2 sketches

Couple of scraps i did last week. shade them for fun.

i hate scanning , the first one specially got screwed completely, makes everything look grainy and with no contrast i tweak the second a little but bleh, is useless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muy buenos estudios anatomicos.Intenta siempre aplicarlos en tus personajes posteriores!Estos dos ultimos me han gustado mucho,sobre todo el de la izquierda...pero ojo con las proporciones!!!!!No te parecen muy pequeñas esas manos?
    Sigue dibujando!!!!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Camara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faces of the islands

Camara: Si, las manos quedaron muy cortas, saque mal una relacion, y cuando me di cuenta ya habia afincado y no quise borrar sigo con el mal habito de dibujar pegado al papel

1 hour practice from 2d reference, which is normally not my favorite but couldnt resist, from a great photography book i found deep in my library, "Venezuelan islands", 200 pages, most of them filled with fantastic enviorements,landscapes and tons of people from the islands of my country. A lot of very peculiar faces and expressions.

About 5 minutes each, for some i took and extras couple of minutes to refine, trying to get the expression in the shortest time with little erasing, these kind of quicksketches are fun for me, did it in printer paper with #2, cause im a cheap bastard, and i ran out of material.

Last edited by Renegade89; January 16th, 2008 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    esta muy bien que hagas estudios y observes mucho.
    concuerdo con camara acerca de los ultimos dos.

un consejo: trata de generar mas dinamismo en las figuras, en este momento te apoyas mucho en angulos rectos especialmente en brazos y piernas.

intenta ademas generar un mayor rango en los grises.

esta muy bien, continua observando y practicando.y por supuesto no dejes de divertirte.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. Keep up with the studies, and maybe tend toward a more realistic style rather than an anime/manga style for your practice. Do whatever you want for fun. One specific tip I'd like to give you is that your figures tend to look a bit stiff, because the hips are mirroring the shoulders. To give them a bit more life, make sure the hips are going in the opposite direction of the shoulders, even just a little bit, in both tilt and rotation.

Good luck -- keep it up!

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey que onda, que bueno que le sigas dando a los estudios de manos.
    checa este blog mas o menos a la mitad, aqui estan los pdf de referencia que te decía, casi todos son los de bridgeman y un poco mas.

http://www.processjunkie.blogspot.com/

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Villa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pow stuff

Dymagian: Gracias. Si, ultimamente me he estado aplicandome con sesiones mas largas de captura de poses, ysiendo mas especifico al observar la inclinacion y las curvas,tambien ando haciendo un esfuerzo por cambiar el metodo de dibujo por uno mas suelto, y algo mas directo, tengo de quemar los puntos debiles,a aunque me gustaria ser mas constante con la practica intensiva :/.

Funfetus: Thanks, as Dymagian was also saying the dinamism is lacking in my pictures, the studies are regulars, im aplying more on longer life drawing sessions to try to get rid of my weak apots. As for the manga similarities in my drawings, nevermind them, i vary according to how i fell like fun at the moment. Im not really biased towards or against any style.

Villa: Muchas gracias por el link, el libro de Harold Speed esta muy bueno, no
    lo tenia, tambien me faltaba el constructive anatomy, tratando de leermelos en los ratos libres.

Ok, a couple of character reference i did for the POW! challenge, totally cheesy vikings FTW! (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...postcount=113), is crappy that i most likely not finish my 4 pages on time but is lots of fun, and thats the main thing for me, if i dont finish by tomorrow ill just finish it anytime and uploaded it here. Ill dump a bunch of studies later this week. uhm... i strangely feel like grab a read at my Conan books again...
    Name:  vikingo.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  136.4 KB
    Name:  guerrera.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  96.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting stuff. Work more on anatomy. Try figure studies and life drawing daily. And for the purposes of learning, try to steer away from anime for a little while. Anime is a style, and limiting yourself to a style isn't a good way to progress. Just try to achieve the best you can, style comes later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Renegade, long time no see. As usual, your realism pieces are looking very good. I'm still surprised you spent only about 5 minutes on each one of those faces. Pretty good if you ask me.

Now as for your anime pieces, which you seem to have much more fun doing... I noticed that in the anime pieces you've decided to shade/light all the way back to dec 23rd, that you seem to have a lot of centrally lit micro shading. That is to say that for each body part like upper arm, fore-arm, individual boobs, stomach, etc... they all are lit in the center and then surrounded by shadows. It kind of flattens your character and makes it less interesting to look at. Try playing with your light more, see if it makes your anime look better. Keep it up yo.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Drunken_hand For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.