Thanks

Icon How was this ink drawing created?

i suspect mechanical means of some sort; there's certainly some 19th century ingenuity afoot...

thanks in advance

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    if i were to attempt something like this , i would have a lightbox and just take my time.

edit: or it could be an engraving.
    Last edited by jrr; November 2nd, 2007 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Jesus, soundwave attack!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Taj

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 626 Posts
thats pretty nice. Now I'm also curious.

Thanks
    I found this, which doesn't really give a method for the particular drawing, but is at least a source for where it came from.

http://www.iampeth.com/books/real_pe...ork_index.html

Thanks
    I don't think any machines could have done this in 1884, Knowles and Maxim publishers were really involved with penmanship tough. I think they have quite a few books out, and from what I can tell most of them are about penmanship.

of course the pic could always be forged...

What I want to know is did the artist start with the nose out?
    Or from the outside in?

Thanks
    That way I see it, I would say that it would have to be tightly pencilled at first. Where most of your time is probably spent pencilling it to a very high degree of accuracy. And then using the pen on a first pass concentrating at first on the areas of the line that take quite a jag where they create form, while establishing the single line itself. Once that's done, go back and then define the lines a little further in the more delicate areas. But definitely the pencils, where you are working out form and still trying to maintain a single line, would be the harder more labourious parts.

That's one hell of an achievement, whatever method was used.
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Some obvious notes:

Obviously this was not done all in one unbroken line. But it is very carefully crafted so it looks like that. There is simply no ink pen in the world that can hold that much ink. Unless they were feeding the pen as it was going. Which is silly. Why do that when you can fake it. And there's not like there is some FDA for inking that will come in and verify that it was all done in one stroke. Its a novelty item, pure and simple.

It must have been very carefully pencilled. Any decent ink pen can easily do the thick to thin to thick linework, depending on pressure. Although, the outline of the stroke can be done first and then filled in, depending on the size of the picture.

This is really not that hard of a thing to do once learn the craft of achieving values through pen strokes.

As far as the drawing, it looks like its based on an old master painting.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    This an extreme example, but this type of art isn't all that uncommon in the period after the US civil War. There were two reasons to do something like this as an exercise--the first was penmanship, as pointed out by the site ItsChoco posted. Flourishy penmanship was considered a sign of an educated and genteel person. The second was because of the heavy use of maple block wood engraving, which was used for "illustrated" books and for newspaper/magazine illustrations. There was no real practical "halftone" yet, so artists were required to do by hand what we do today with halftone screens. Something like this would have been an excellent way to practice the light-dark shading required, and is actually relatively easy to do if you've been trained for it. Imagin how an artist from that period would react at watching one of you create something on a computer. Both of you are looking at something from an "alien" world...

The way this was actually done (probably) was (using modern terminology) an accurate "outline" of the various shaded areas would be put down very lightly with pencil first within the penciled oval. These lines would act as "warnings" that you were coming up on a value change as you drew your line. A modern equivalent (sort of) would be covering a posterized photograph with a 1/4" grid of crossed lines and then duplicating the image one square at a time on another grided sheet of paper with some ink and a pen or brush. Get all the squares right, you got the "whole" right.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I still wanna know if they started with the nose, or with the outside (LOL)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhan Juju View Post
    My guess would be they started from the nose. I think it would be tough to make sure everything was lining up properly as you approached the centre without having to compensate on line thickness and line spacing in such a delicate area. Plus, the little start point makes a perfect spot highlight on the nose
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhan Juju View Post
    seems obvious that it had to be the nose. Going from the inside out you could make sure you had uniform line spacing.

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure I've seen this engraving in some book.
    It's much older than 19 century.

That and the fact that large part of this penmanship book is dedicated for learning the divine skills of tracing (http://www.iampeth.com/books/real_pe...rk_page23.html and onward) suggest it's simply blatantly traced.

Here's a similar engraving: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_Veronica.jpg
    (too bad - low rez)

Thanks
    Make a normal pencil drawing, go over it in pencil to make nothing but one line then go over it in ink and erase the pencil. Time consuming for a cool effect.

Thanks
    I saw a Rembrandt print show, and one of his prints was done in this style (face with spiral line). I think it was an etching, which would mean, block out where the white would be, and paint the shading with acid on the metal. Still time consuming and requiring a high amount of skill to get the image, but doable compared to inking the whole thing. Or you could scratch the plate so deep that only the spiral part was hitting paper when put through a press.
    S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell