New Concept Art Course 2008, Brisbane, Australia
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New Concept Art Course 2008, Brisbane, Australia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Concept Art Course 2008, Brisbane, Australia

Hi guys,
    My name is David Lovegrove, I am a professional Concept artist and teacher from Australia.
    I am planning a series of Concept Art related Workshops in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, in early 2008.

My workshops will offer that same rock solid classical art foundation that ConceptArt.org has so ably promoted, with a constant undercurrent of concept art ideas and principles through it.
    We will learn to draw and paint from the antique plaster cast, as well as plaster busts of movie stars (a cool take on the classical tradition), we will draw and paint the nude, work from still life compositions, work in the landscape, and learn to draw anything and everything from the imagination and from reference.

We will study the drawings and paintings of the past masters and learn their subtle tricks and ideas, and we will explore the art of the past up to now and open our minds to the great visual tradition. We will treat the great artist's of comics and fantasy art and illustration with the same respect due to the likes of Rubens and Da Vinci and Sargeant (and Picasso!)
    In the digital art workshops students will be working in Photoshop, Painter, ZBrush etc.
    As you probably already know, the concept art revolution is being mainly led by artists who have mastered the old fashioned art skills and materials.
    Once you can THINK like an old master then you are ready to become a digital
    Da Vinci!
    Comic book art and Film/TV storyboarding will also be covered during the workshop series.

I will post confirmed details of the workshops soon in this forum (ART SCHOOLS and EDUCATION).

My background-
    I have worked as a freelance illustrator for many years and recently have had the great good fortune to work for a top sfx company on the Gold Coast, Qld.
    I created concept art for 2 Hollywood produced projects- "The Ruins" and "The Pacific" (a 10 part WW2 TV series).
    (Unfortunately I cant show my film concept art on the web until well after the films are out and about, sometime in later 2008). Check out my art at www.davidlovegrove.com .

I started out on my own quest to become an artist in 1987, and for a couple of years I taught myself from books and the odd tip from an artist along the way. I found it incredibly hard to find a competent teacher, and most of the books I read just went over my head. They seemed to be talking to more advanced artist's who had some solid background training.
    In 1991 I met two incredibly talented artists from very different styles - Tony Champ (one of Australia's best realist illustrators) and David Paulson (a brilliant and inspired fine art painter). I studied with both these guys, and in 1994 decided to sell up and go to Sydney and train at the Julian Ashton Art School (Australia's oldest art school and only classical art school) full time.
    I studied there for 3 years, won a drawing prize, learnt a lot about drawing and painting and art history, and graduated with a Diploma of Fine Art.
    I studied for (and gained) a Masters degree in Visual Arts from Queensland College of Art, Griffith University in 2002.
    I have been teaching drawing, painting and comic book art/illustrating to hundreds of people over the last 20 years and have been a part of the Australian comic book scene to varying degrees since 1986, and am totally nuts about comics, movies, computer game art, fantasy art and cool sfx and concept art generally.

Check out some of my art at www.davidlovegrove.com, write to me at info@davidlovegrove.com or eriksaga@yahoo.com,
    and keep an eye on my website www.fineartschool.com as the details of my Concept Art workshops' come online.

Last edited by DSL; January 11th, 2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Change of plans
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 319 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Best of luck with it, Dave. You've been getting yourself prepared for something like this for a long time now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks Dave (Briggsy)

Gday mate, thanks for your support, I value your input highly and hope that there is the possibility of bringing you up to run a master class wherein you can show how you work and think about drawing and painting.
    Drop me a line at my email eriksaga@ the company that sounds like the first word of the Aussie film of the 80's with the second word being Serious!!
    Thats .com and no au.
    Ciao Maestro

Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 319 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd be happy to run a master class Dave but where will I find a master????

Anyway, let me know what you think of my new website on colour for artists, just out this week:

The Dimensions of Colour
    www.huevaluechroma.com

Members who have read this thread: 1