Looking for general Critique
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Looking for general Critique

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for general Critique

I'm going to college for this so give me honest critiques. I've only just started getting into my majors classes but I switched from game design to illustration so I haven't taken classes in that yet. One of the drawings is a turn-around for a monster I'm modeling, texturing, riging, and possibly animating for my group final in into to game design. Two and a half weeks obviously isn't enough to make a full 3-d electronic game so my group is making a web site for a fictional game and it's being used for a screen shot.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first off, please post smaller pics, it's really hard to tell what's going on when you can only see so much at once

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The images are a bit large, but from what I can see in the first picture at least: I think her facial features may need a little tweaking in terms of size. You are on a very good path though - I can see you turning into something very significant.

I on the other hand, suck ass. But, at least I can give some suggestions Nice work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stop using the burn and dodge tool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too bright! Too Intense!

In your figures don't Dodge to get highlights. Don't Burn to get shadows. Don't put a glow around them. You really want to sadden your colour ranges and get away from those nasty habits. With your sadden colour pallet, don't use white or black to get your highlights or shadows. There are better ways to get a tone by using a colour itself instead of such extremes.

Also revisit your basic anatomy. Do some life sketches on your tablet or in a graphics program from stock. Work with line sketches then move on to a sadden, limited pallet for when you add hues and depth.

Still trying to think of a clever saying.

Homocide and Apple Liquid: A Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too much nose and brow on the first one. The profile would be better like this:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please post smaller images...

And welcome to CA!

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank's everyone. Also I just want to clearify that I didn't use burn or dodge. I used fill layers set to multiply for the shadows and one set to screen for the highlights. But I do agree that I overwork the pictures. I usually think they'll look flat otherwise. O and as for the nose one, that was based on a real person.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartFreeze View Post
    Thank's everyone. Also I just want to clearify that I didn't use burn or dodge. I used fill layers set to multiply for the shadows and one set to screen for the highlights. But I do agree that I overwork the pictures. I usually think they'll look flat otherwise. O and as for the nose one, that was based on a real person.
    That nose might be BASED on a real person, but I don't think you pulled it off so I think his crit stands. You might want to revisit the image and ref material. I agree with Anthony in that you should learn to paint on as few layers as possible and kraal's right about having software doing the heavy lifting. Other than that strengthen your handle on the basics. Study values, proportions, anatomy and apply them to your work. Draws lots and then draw lots more. Get some sketchbooks and fill those puppies up!

"It's worth the grief." - Greg Manchess

--SSG #46--
    Blaz | MarkWinters | petitemistress | sfa | Shmaba

Sketchbook Website Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The edges look to cut out and separated from the background, especially in the last one. I'd take the eraser tool and go over the edges, getting rid of the extra pieces that are sticking out. Then I'd go over the edges with the blur tool, not too much, just a tiny bit. Also, the first two appear a bit hazy. I don't know if that's what you are going for, but I think it takes away from the pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok here is my opinion. the compositions are a bit static. the egdes are way too shaky. and wether or not you use the dodge or burn tool does not matter.... what matters is that the way you are aproaching shading is a litte too process and computer generated. i started a class that i teach illustration called ' just draw it' the point being too many illustrators are learning how photoshop can do something and not learning how they can do something with photoshop.

How come? --- Eminem
    My website is here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow

I also try to tell folks when starting out that they should just use the paintbrush and color picker, and that's it. No effects, overlays, blah blah. Once you get used to making what you want by painting it, then you can look for shortcuts, accents, effects, etc.

-Anthony
    Carpe Carpem

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.