CHOW #095 - Squirrel Mage FINAL BURNING - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Who's tuff enuff to be CederTuft?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 1.72%
  • 4 3.45%
  • 11 9.48%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • 3 2.59%
  • 57 49.14%
  • 2 1.72%
  • 29 25.00%
  • 7 6.03%
  • 4 3.45%
  • 14 12.07%
  • 7 6.03%
  • 1 0.86%
  • 2 1.72%
  • 14 12.07%
  • 2 1.72%
  • 0 0%
  • 4 3.45%
  • 13 11.21%
  • 1 0.86%
  • 0 0%
  • 4 3.45%
  • 2 1.72%
  • 1 0.86%
  • 7 6.03%
  • 1 0.86%
  • 2 1.72%
  • 7 6.03%
  • 26 22.41%
  • 43 37.07%
  • 16 13.79%
  • 4 3.45%
  • 2 1.72%
  • 0 0%
  • 4 3.45%
  • 27 23.28%
  • 0 0%
  • 5 4.31%
  • 0 0%
  • 1 0.86%
  • 9 7.76%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • 19 16.38%
  • 19 16.38%
  • 46 39.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CHOW #095 - Squirrel Mage FINAL BURNING

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey well i veered off topic slightly but wanted to have a bit of fun with it

Final

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    One of these days I will learn how to do proper backgrounds, I swear...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Squirrels are awesome. Had a lot of fun with this one!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dakardaur; November 5th, 2007 at 04:01 AM.
    "The challenge of creativity, as far as I'm concerned, is to move towards the greatest thought you can think of."
    --Braxton

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First post on ConceptArt, and first time with a computermade drawing/board.. but it was such a fun character this week.. !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a lot of fun. Here's my entry, oil on masonite (6"x6")... about 6 hours:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topic for the week, I'm out of time so this is how much I have

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone. This is my first post on CA. I did this in oil on canvas and unfortunately my digital camera isn't the best not to mention my lighting setup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face My First Entry!

Wow

I managed to get it done!! I had a blash doing this topic!! I cant wait to see everyone's finals!

Last edited by Narfboy; November 5th, 2007 at 12:12 AM.

pseudobiotic is offline That's why they call 'em Business Socks. Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Narfboy - you appear to be missing something

fini.

Wonderful work everyone!

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had fits with the colors on this one and still am not happy with it. Very fun topic though. Nice submissions from everyone so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is mine:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my first CHOW entry!
    i seriously need to get me some money and buy a tablet, i was forced to do this thing using just the touchpad on my laptop!

but it turned out well enough, i think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by Jack Frost; November 5th, 2007 at 05:16 AM. Reason: missed one thing
    illustration web space:
    www.ebillustration.com
    general portfolio website:
    www.ebillustration.com/gallery
    ca sketchbook:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118097

careful, if you click on the sketch book link while you are viewing my ca sketchbook you might get stuck in a causality loop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot more needs done to this...but it's done for now.

Minimal art went nowhere. - Sol LeWitt

DA

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cedartuft

The hunting of the snow spider

Last edited by grenogs; November 5th, 2007 at 07:54 AM. Reason: oops!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hopefully I'm not too late...this was a ton of fun! Lots of wonderful entries too!

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

im late, just got back from vacation and thought the topic was too rad to not attempt

Last edited by davi; November 5th, 2007 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    47 Entries!!!

Fantastically good show people. This round is already rough! A lot of great ideas and some excellent execution. There's a lot here to like this week!

NOW VOTE!

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh dear this was a toughy.
    My vote went to Alice in the end. I really enjoy how simple it is, although Fydbac's and Lukavi's entries really impressed me as well.

Darn it i wish i could vote on all three

Props to everyone who entered though, some really good takes on the subject, specially ones like idle.'s ... you've really given me some awesome ideas to try out on my art.

Inspiration galore

"The challenge of creativity, as far as I'm concerned, is to move towards the greatest thought you can think of."
    --Braxton

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakardaur View Post
    Darn it i wish i could vote on all three
    Just for future reference, Dakardaur, you can. The poll is set up to allow multiple votes.

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a tough choice, so many good pieces, but i tried to cut it down to 3, but i had to add a 4th. Reason for my choices? mainly, each piece had an element of all - 1. which images could i imaging finding in a book shop?, 2. Does the image tell some kind of story, of magic or adventure? 3. And simply quality and execution, Is it eye catching enough to stand out in a crowd, of hundreds of other books?
    in no particuler order-
    oregano, i realy like this, its got a realy fresh feel to it, very natural, and lighthearted, with a mixture of adventure. For some reason it says Australian bush.
    felicia, i love the magical feel on this, and the norse type character direction you've taken it. Only crit i have is the hand, also not to sure about the hair. I think it might be better without the hair. btw, i love the happy bags
    lukavi, i like the detail in this, she fits well into her environment, and her crazy manic expression is great, Again my main crit is the tail, i think i thicker bushier tail would improve it.
    jessibean I wasn't at first going to pick this, as i know you can do better, although i like this new aproach, the one thing that stood out for me in a negative way was the black line. I think if you had kept the whole image with black line as normal it would look great, or if you had no black line at all it would look great. But half and half in my opinion gives it a half finished look, and thats my only crit on this. What realy won me over on this though is the expression on her face, that cute inocent, girl next door look she has.
    I would have concidered 1 or 2 others also, if only they had read the description more carefully.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow.. really struggled to vote..
    alice & Fydbac were my favs.. nicely done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lukavi and jakkas!
    Excellent both

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omg for reals!? sweet! now... i'll remember to vote on all my choices next time then! lol Choosing just one was so hard =.=

But yeah... we are all here for feedback right? So i'm gonna give my 2 cents to whomever I can. lol.

oh heck, scroo it! I'm gonna do everyone's! It's the least I could do methinks.

here goes. *turns on teh musik*

fedezz - Simply awesomely cute. My major turn off on it was the fact that I didn't feel like this particular squirrel was out to save her kingdom. Lol. Still, awesome attempt, loved the style. You earned yourself a follower.

entdroid - I keep thinking "mischeveous squirrel" when I look at it. I feel picky saying this, but I just can't tell if thats a female... oh god don't hate me XD, it's still a beautifully done piece.

JessiBean - I thought the colors you used on the "lights" stood out too much and drew the eye away from the character itself. Otherwise a great piece... squirrelmarillion... good chuckle

Lukavi - One of my favorites, I way you dealt with the painting and the colors are just perfect. However, there is too much going on methinks, making it hard to focus on the whole thing. Still, one of the best pieces this run, imo.

PutridusCor - I liked this one expect for the fact that the background and the pose didn't really do much for me >.>. Maybe something more dynamic? Also the light on the wand seems much too bright for how little of it's color there is reflected on the picture. Even so, great work man!

Spitch - Enjoyable, nothing stands out too much in relation to the rest of picture, I would love to maybe see an enemy or target for this squirrel's magical scorn though. :3

Ampersand - Pleasing to the eye, but as I've mentioned on a couple before, I don't see a character who's out on some amazing quest for the fate of squirrel-kind. Also, considering the amount of green in the picture, I would've liked to see more of it reflected on the character itself i.e.: the fur.

Pixel Dust - I loved the little things on this one, like the match on her stick or the fact that she's holding a marble. The cloak is rather distracting though, and it would rock if you threw some uh... "magic" into the mix. You know, flashing lights or some weird smoke coming out of the book... who knows... imagination knows no bounds

idle. - Now THAT's a squirrel with a mission in life! Really exciting and the style... just phenomenal.

Thujon - The major draw-back on this one is that it's rather hard to read, the character much too dark on an already rather dull and, forgive me for saying this, boring background. You are the god of this squirrel... make it strike a sick pose and throw some sunshine into its world

hoshicat - Oooo! The leaves are a very nice touch, the staff however (the top) gives more attention to the action than the character itself. In otherwords, it feels like this is about the magic being done rather than the character performing. I'm not making sense am i? Lol.

Silarvalla - I really like this one, she seems so... coy. Really nothing I can say beyond, great work!

Tydal - Hrm, perhaps a wider range of tones. Right now it feels like it's being swallowed by the background, also, something colder for the tree-branch as it stands out too much, and some texture. A good effort :3

Meme - I wanna pinch it's cheeks! lol. However... I sorta think uh... itlookslikearabbit. Don't hit me! xD. It's the ears. Otherwise loved to colors on this one.

Kroevyn - Not much I can say about it other than awesome! The pose does bother me a bit though, as it seems rather stiff. Hope to see more entries on future CHOW's

LORD M - Well, you did a great job making that squirrel look cute... I wanna eat it. lol. The background really hurts this one though, methinks some clouds here and there should do the trick. The practically one solid color just really takes from what is otherwise a very well done piece.

baby-bel - A good effort but parts of it are really hard to read, such as it's right leg (the one on the left), or what I'm assuming is it's tail.

artdwx - That's beautiful, I'd really like to know what you used too.

Blindfolded Guy - I'd just like to see more of the character. Still, cool entry

Alice - In its own elaborate design, it still manages to remain simple and very pleasing. Youz rocks!

NARobles - That's a squirrel I don't wanna piss off, lol. She does seem a tad stiff, however. Still, melikes!

Mythlore - Great entry, I particularly love what you did with the tail. Well done!

liolev - This has great potential, but a lot of it is lost on how dark the piece is, imo. Still, good work mate.

Muleskinner - An awesome entry! I really enjoy looking at this one. The action nut in me wishes for something more dynamic, but I know for a fact that's just me being picky. Lol. Great job dude!

Jakkas - That is just... beautiful. I would like to see what you could do to it with more time. Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Ranalea - I bet this took a great deal of effort and dedication. I like this one... and yet the action nut in me yearns... alas, I need to keep him quiet. hehe.

fydbac - ...you are a god amongst men.

Nike - A job well done, although some more highlights would make it even better :3

realitycheck - An awesome take, however, it took me a while to realize there was a staff, and that said staff was being held by it's tail. Also the arms are a little hard to read. And some foliage on that branch or in the back to would be awesome. Good job man.

rodriguez - the LOTR theme brought a smile to my face

daestwen - Haha, I feel you on the whole background deal... I hope that day is near, because all this piece needs to go from "very good" to "OMG THATS AWESOME" is a background. Well done man

Dakardaur - wait... thats me... Well, after looking at it for a while, I've decided it needs a better background, or a more defined one anyway. Some highlights, specially on the cloak would rock, as well as maybe a wider range on the tone front. Do you guys concurr?

miffo81 - Well welcome dude, I'm more of a lurker than an active member (something I hope the change soon). Considering that's your first attempt, dude, you are light years ahead of where I was when I first tried. lol. Some color would've been nice

Chingwa - oooo me likes! The pose seems a tad awkward if I act it out... alas, I AM too picky... but yeah. Awesome. I love the feel of the medium too, darn it, I should learn. lol.

Sturnus - awwww I wish you'd had more time =.=. That's awesome dude, I'd love to see a background on this beaut.

phantomstranger - Ok here's the plan, I fly to wherever you are and we use my uber-camera to take a superawesome picture. It's a shame that what seems like a great effort is hampered by it's delivery. Good job man.

Narfboy - Very well done, however that blue and yellow really draw attention from the character. Hrm, I wanna see whose butt that squirrel is kicking too .

pseudobiotic - I don't the black in the background does much for the picture. Maybe tone the amount down a bit to a few scraggly but rather scary twigs and branches? Also, I'm having a hard time telling where the lightsource is, but other than that good job dude.

Oregano - Awesome. It just looks like it only has one leg >.>... I really love how you did the cloak man.

mrbol18 - Me likes. I'm having a hard time telling where the staff ends and the arm begins though, or rather, if there is an arm at all. Still, good job man!

Felicia - That's just perfect. I like her bags... they look like little owls :3

r-idz - how in the world did you do that with a touch pad!?!? I can barely play solitaire using the damned thing! Hell, I'd put in money myself to get you a tablet, I see potential... but alas, unemployment. lol. Anywho, back to the piece, it's just too much black =.=. What CAN be seen is fantastic though.

jack frost - oooo very nice! Would've liked to see a more elaborate background... some clouds maybe... or a distant forest or some mountains. who knows.

LAG - I say, that's a tough looking squirrel. I like the details on this one... Some yellow highlights here and there wouldn't hurt though.

grenogs - Great work! that tail is so pretty. One thing though. Is she floating? standing on something? Hard to tell >.>

Teigrob - Coolio... not much I can say about linework >.>... the needy child in me would like some colors. Oh Oh Oh! Can I do 'em? pweaaaaaaase! :3

Davi - Awesome man! It's all like, creeping about and stuff. Methinks a darker, scary environment would add soooooo much to this. Well done!

And I believe thats it. I'm gonna feel like crap if I missed someone >.> lol.
    Hope it helps a little bit >.>
    Thank you all for posting everyone, as I said before, some very insipirational stuff here.

--Braxton

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dakardaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comment dakardaur, floating? no, shes supose to be stood in snow, but the sparkly magic green is hiding it. Something i hadn't noticed myself, but now i look, i can see why you ask. hmm.. i may have to change something there
    Also i agree about the coments about your own image, especialy a larger tonal range will make it stand out more. Also make the left hand a little larger than the right hand and the right foot larger than the left foot to make up for the foreshortening.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    god, so many excellent entries... my vote goes to... Lukavi, Jakkas, fydbac and alice - i love them all - so magical and really well painted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow seeing all these entries together makes it so hard to vote I'm torn on which ones to choose.

Thanks for the comment Dakarduar getting feed back is always great I used watercolor and pen.

Again great work I always love the non human chows

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What an awesome turnout. Fantastic display and variety of Cedartufts! Cast my vote for Felicia - She is one tough looking mage. I love it! Conjures images of the Black Forest and she's defending (possibly) against the dark work of the Baba Yaga.. Aready spinning a yarn in my head.. . Beautiful form, lighting, and rendered details.
    There's so much talent and skill here. Yet another display of inspirational creativity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My votes went to JessiBean (the face is cute as anything, I love the execution of the magical glows and the runes in the background), fydbac and lukavi - both wonderfully ornate and gentle to look at, with that slightly quaint storybook feel which I love. I like fydbac's subtle coloured lines and the dreamy glow in lukavi's, though in the latter the squirrel's tail is possibly a bit thin and fox-like. Great entries all around though, it was hard to pick just a few.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1