Art: Making of 'Nosferatu' Video in HD!(post#715) - Page 3

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow this stuff looks awesome, i have to get my sculptures up. but thanx fer sharing! im inspired now to go and sculpt some more!.
    cheers

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to conceptzaholic10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful work, man.

"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Breath of Life For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by conceptzaholic10 View Post
    wow this stuff looks awesome, i have to get my sculptures up. but thanx fer sharing! im inspired now to go and sculpt some more!.
    cheers
    Your very welcome, but it really should be me thanking you, so.. thank you. And yeah man, I'd love to see your work.

Check out my scary monster thread!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=109738

Want lotsa sculpture resources? Add some if you want to!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=154013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Breath of Life View Post
    Beautiful work, man.
    I dunno about beautiful though because there are just too many faults everytime I look at them! But anyway, thank you my friend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DS, Your sculpts really impress me.
    I'm so pleased to see such a colourful dragon! Such a happy piece, how refreshing and brave of you to go so bold.
    My colours tend to be a bit de-saturated at the mo, but am keen to take a leaf outta your book.
    Thanks for sharing

Put The Kettle On!
    My CA Thread:TM's Cave
    Visit Me:TeaMonsterUK.com
    Contact Me:info@teamonsteruk.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaMonster View Post
    DS, Your sculpts really impress me.
    I'm so pleased to see such a colourful dragon! Such a happy piece, how refreshing and brave of you to go so bold.
    My colours tend to be a bit de-saturated at the mo, but am keen to take a leaf outta your book.
    Thanks for sharing
    I always find that although it's great to have a dragon in a typically angry pose, I wanted to make a 'peaceful' looking dragon in a much less aggressive and more calmer pose. Also, more than anything I hope I managed to make it look female too which is something I hope I've achieved? Anyway, as for the colours, I looked at tropical birds for inspiration, love birds and toucans and other creatures that have striking colours. A friend of mine said to me, 'Hmm.. I dunno about blue.. how about red?' I laughed and pointed to me black and white cat and said, 'Would you be able to tell if this was a girl?' He thinks, red is for girls and blue is a for a boy! And I do know what you mean, about using a more de-saturated colour, because I've used more darker, more less brighter colours before so i thought it was time for a change basically. Many thanks for your comments my friend :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamsorcerer View Post
    Aw man.. there are so many amazing sculptors out there especially Smellybug and the Shifflet bros and I don't think I could even match up to their standards! But I still love doing it! So thank you so much Sadetar, your comments are very much appreciated :-)

And I'm very happy that you like the Centaur so much as I had so much trouble getting it to look right, the anatomy of the horse is something I find quite difficult and complicated to understand.
    Thanks for the comment back. I'm going definitely to check those out! Even though I don't think that "aw man" is perhaps just the right title to a little girl like me.

"Not all those who wander
    are lost"
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

MY JOURNEY(SKETCHBOOK)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sadetar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadetar View Post
    Thanks for the comment back. I'm going definitely to check those out! Even though I don't think that "aw man" is perhaps just the right title to a little girl like me.
    Heh heh.. 'Aww man' that's a typical quote from me, I say that when something surprises me.. like if you gave me a birthday present I'd say, 'aww man.. you shouldn't have!' (If that makes sense??) Anyway, heh heh thank you for your comments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

GOTO POST #69 Personal Projects: Dragon, Minotaur, Centaur, Dragon and a Dragon Man

Hello Everyone!

resident dragon freak here! Yes, I'm making another dragon-ish sculpt

I'm back with another dragon sculpt! Well.. actually it's a half man half dragon dude, and I just hope that it all goes according to plan and hopefully it will fit the image that I have in my head. Mind you, don't all us artists feel like that? Anyway, wish me luck!!

Reference and Inspiration

Name:  concepts01.jpg
Views: 3665
Size:  195.8 KB

Throughout the sculpting process I am constantly refering to the sketches that I have done for this sculpt. It's going to man/dragon hybrid, bulky and mean looking! I've had this idea in mind for the past six years, and it's only the past year that I started developing more sketches and designs for it. I done a painting years ago of a man/dragon figure, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with it, so I began redisgning it. This wasn't exactly a process because it was something I kept picking up and putting down, until a year ago I started picking it up again and working in the details a lot more in my sketchbook. Note that I don't don't *that* long to create sketches, what I mean is is that I worled on it now and again.
    I was largely inspired by lions, dogs, wolves, hyeenas, bats, chickens, birds, iguanas and turtles. Yes, turtles. Oh.. and plenty of human anatomical reference. And somehow aided by plenty of imagination, and complicated anatomical problem solving I'm going to attempt to merge these together.

Armature

Name:  00a.gif
Views: 3705
Size:  1.18 MB

Yes, yet another messy armature! But, it doesn't really matter because I've made it as strong and as sturdy as possible with enough wire (maybe more than enough wire) to mae it withstand the weight of the clay that I'm about to put on. And if you look closely you will notice that I have reinforced it further by adding thicker wire, it's 1/4 of an inch thick alluminum wire which rests on top of the armature/ The reason why it's doubled up is so that the armature won't buckle and bend under the weight of the clay. You could say that this armature looks a bit too thick, and that it may interfere in the process of sculpting. But this isn't the case, because this dude is going to be pretty big and muscular. Anyway, what I have learmt from sculpting is that the more stronger the armature is, the more successful the sculpt will be, not to mention easier to sculpt! Just think it like this, what would any human or animal be like if we had no skeleton? My point exactly!

Name:  00e.JPG
Views: 3596
Size:  63.4 KB

Here's a close up of the feet, where you can see that there's a small threaded rod going through the feet with nuts at the top and bottom to keep it from going anywhere. With these small supports, the armature will (of course) fall over and won't be able to keep it's balance. (And whoops, I forgot to put the washers in) the wood I've used here is plywood. The great thing about plywood is that it's thin, but very strong.

Sculpting

Name:  01.JPG
Views: 3575
Size:  86.5 KB

Normally, I start off by making the bone structure first then start adding the muscles. But since my armature is so thick (and messy) I started working on filling in the armature with clay first, which explains why it looks kind of ridiculous at this stage.

Name:  02.JPG
Views: 3571
Size:  91.5 KB

I've now started working in the muscles in profile view. This explains why it looks a bit flat from the sides.

Name:  03.JPG
Views: 3541
Size:  85.8 KB

Now I just continue adding muscle tone everywhere all over the armature, constantly turning the sculpt around making sure that it is nicely covered.

Name:  04.JPG
Views: 3562
Size:  82.3 KB

Notice that I haven't started on the hands and feet yet. It's because I want to fill out the whole sculpt first, then work on the more complex stuff later on.

Name:  05.JPG
Views: 3534
Size:  84.0 KB
    Name:  06.JPG
Views: 3498
Size:  68.0 KB
    Name:  07.JPG
Views: 3488
Size:  73.0 KB
    Name:  08.JPG
Views: 3500
Size:  77.7 KB

Notice that I haven't started on the hands and feet yet. It's because I want to fill out the whole sculpt first, then work on the more complex stuff later on.

Still fleshing out. Notice that I'm not using any tools. The blocking out is primarily done using fingers at this stage; applying the clay in all the right places is what makes it easier at a later stage.

Name:  09.JPG
Views: 3468
Size:  81.8 KB
    Name:  10.JPG
Views: 3281
Size:  69.1 KB
    Name:  11.JPG
Views: 3268
Size:  70.1 KB
    Name:  12.JPG
Views: 3484
Size:  79.3 KB
    Name:  13.JPG
Views: 3476
Size:  76.1 KB
    Name:  14.JPG
Views: 3463
Size:  74.7 KB
    Name:  15.JPG
Views: 3455
Size:  82.8 KB
    Name:  16.JPG
Views: 3424
Size:  57.2 KB
    Name:  17.JPG
Views: 3414
Size:  83.5 KB
    Name:  19.JPG
Views: 3428
Size:  84.4 KB
    Name:  20.JPG
Views: 3207
Size:  85.4 KB
    Name:  21.JPG
Views: 3410
Size:  81.9 KB
    Name:  22.JPG
Views: 3416
Size:  84.7 KB
    Name:  23.JPG
Views: 3403
Size:  85.5 KB
    Name:  25.JPG
Views: 3391
Size:  80.5 KB
    Name:  26.JPG
Views: 3400
Size:  79.2 KB
    Name:  27.JPG
Views: 3424
Size:  74.9 KB
    Name:  28.JPG
Views: 3400
Size:  74.9 KB
    Name:  29.JPG
Views: 3396
Size:  75.5 KB
    Name:  30.JPG
Views: 3384
Size:  74.7 KB
    Name:  31.JPG
Views: 3373
Size:  75.1 KB
    Name:  32.JPG
Views: 3366
Size:  73.8 KB

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dreamsorcerer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kenshiro,
    Brilliant work as always. Between the stuf you've showed here and on your site you are a true inspiration. I love what you do. Thanks for taking the time to post, and comment on my piece as well. It meant a lot. Keep up the good work, bro!!!!

Maddmaestro

17. The Following User Says Thank You to maddmaestro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaestro View Post
    Kenshiro,
    Brilliant work as always. Between the stuf you've showed here and on your site you are a true inspiration. I love what you do. Thanks for taking the time to post, and comment on my piece as well. It meant a lot. Keep up the good work, bro!!!!

Maddmaestro
    Aw bless you buddy :-) Thank you for your kind words.. And by the way how are you getting on with your female sculpt? I had a disasturous attempt at making a mermaid.. it was all gonig fine until I left it in the oven too long and wrecked it! Yes, I eben tried fixing it and then it just looked even more ridiculous. Oh well, trial and error is what it's all about lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the long post...I really enjoy watching how others build their sculptures. It's a great way to learn. It is looking awesome, and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Anyway, do you always bolt down your sculpts? I am curious because sometimes if it is bolted down, it could be difficult to finish the underside, depending on the sculpture.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

20. The Following User Says Thank You to VulgarDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cross View Post
    Thanks for the long post...I really enjoy watching how others build their sculptures. It's a great way to learn. It is looking awesome, and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Anyway, do you always bolt down your sculpts? I am curious because sometimes if it is bolted down, it could be difficult to finish the underside, depending on the sculpture.
    You're mucho welcome! And yeah, I love looking at other posts where they have gone into so much detail.. I've always wanted to show a thorough progression so I hope this will do the job. Oh and I hope it won't suck either lol.

And good question. This is the 2nd sculpt which is bolted down by the feet only. And I'm not finding it too difficult, I guess because everything is mostly in view, and there aren't any really 'hard to get to' places on the sculpt. The blue dragon sculpt that I made, I must admit that I did find it a little difficult making the belly on that one, but I do remember tipping it at an angle to work on the under belly and chest. And with this sculpt, since the dude's leaning forward I have to tip him backwards sometimes whilst working on the chest and belly. *But* there is another method that is used by some sculptors, is to create the sculpt so that you can take off it's limbs so that each body part could in fact be sculpted individually. That's exactly the method I used for the big dragon. In fact, that's what I'll be doing with this dude's wings. His wings are gonna be pretty big, so I'll work on those individually so that I can work on it at almost any angle. It helps a lot this way, because if the wings were stuck on solid, I'd have a hard time getting into the difficult to reach places. Also, painting it would prove difficult too. I hope all of that made sense?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet concept you definitely are skilled at dragons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dreamsorcerer,

Your art is awesome and very inspiring. I have dabbled in sculpting a bit, but I cannot seem to do the armatures right. I also am not very good at anatomy yet. I need to go back to the basics and learn anatomy. That brings me to my next question, where did you get that awesome sketchbook with the discolored yellow paper, and the by-hand binding? I want one. Sometimes an artist's tools are, or need to be, as artistic as their work. I am one of those artists. I lack inspiration, unless I'm inspired by the tools I'm working with.

I cannot wait to see more of your work. And I hope to some day have a degree of talent comparable to what you have friend.

"It is ten percent how you draw, and ninety percent what you draw." - Andrew Loomis

Artastic's Sketchbook

Visit my new username and sketchbook at Thor's Hammer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Artastic View Post
    Dreamsorcerer,

Your art is awesome and very inspiring. I have dabbled in sculpting a bit, but I cannot seem to do the armatures right. I also am not very good at anatomy yet. I need to go back to the basics and learn anatomy. That brings me to my next question, where did you get that awesome sketchbook with the discolored yellow paper, and the by-hand binding? I want one. Sometimes an artist's tools are, or need to be, as artistic as their work. I am one of those artists. I lack inspiration, unless I'm inspired by the tools I'm working with.

I cannot wait to see more of your work. And I hope to some day have a degree of talent comparable to what you have friend.
    Hello Artastic,

Thank you for your very kind words and for taking the time to look at my work. Yes, armatures can be quite awkward if you don't know what you're doing, but really.. with the correct materials and know how at hand it really is quite simple. I just wish that I had take progress shots of the armature for this sculpture.. think it would've helped. I use Aluminium wire, which you get in different thicknesses. It's great stuff because you can bend it by hand easily. And I'm still learning anatomy now my friend.. in fact every time I pick up a pencil or a lump of clay, I am still learning. What I can suggest for you to try is to try practising certain body parts until you get it right.. like the head first, and when you're confident move onto the next. Then inbetween these exercises you could practise on the body as a whole.

And as for the sketchbooks.. I paint each page with paint to get that old rustic effect. But yes you are right, it took me a while to find a decent sketchbook but i eventually found a place on ebay. They hand make their sketchbooks, with real leather (smells great) and leather wraps and thongs. Here's the link:

stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Diary-Shop

Anyway, many thanks again my friend :-)

Bets wishes,

Kenshiro.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to your site yesterday and was blown away by all of your fantastic work!
    Just an amazing amount of detail and creativity in every piece from concept to finished piece. Very inspiring!!

Portfolio site: http://www.gniesner.com

26. The Following User Says Thank You to animachina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Grant,

I am absolutely stunned and speechless, because i highly respect and highly rate your art and skills. I have inspired you? The guy who worked on one of my favourite movies?! Thank you my friend, you have boosted my confidence and it means a lot to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you are amazing!
    Love your unique style!

"Angels who fall from heaven have no chioce but to become devils"

Visit my site:
    http://www.modelzone.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamsorcerer View Post
    And good question. This is the 2nd sculpt which is bolted down by the feet only. And I'm not finding it too difficult, I guess because everything is mostly in view, and there aren't any really 'hard to get to' places on the sculpt. The blue dragon sculpt that I made, I must admit that I did find it a little difficult making the belly on that one, but I do remember tipping it at an angle to work on the under belly and chest. And with this sculpt, since the dude's leaning forward I have to tip him backwards sometimes whilst working on the chest and belly. *But* there is another method that is used by some sculptors, is to create the sculpt so that you can take off it's limbs so that each body part could in fact be sculpted individually. That's exactly the method I used for the big dragon. In fact, that's what I'll be doing with this dude's wings. His wings are gonna be pretty big, so I'll work on those individually so that I can work on it at almost any angle. It helps a lot this way, because if the wings were stuck on solid, I'd have a hard time getting into the difficult to reach places. Also, painting it would prove difficult too. I hope all of that made sense?
    Yes, that made sense. On the triceratops that I worked on before, it would have been very difficult for me to work the underside if it was bolted down. The only way I could do that was to turn it over and prop it up while I worked on it. If the sculpture can stand on its own without falling over (like quadrupeds) then no need to bolt, but in the case with sculptures that aren't stable like humanoid forms, it makes sense to bolt them down.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptingmonsters610 View Post
    sweet concept you definitely are skilled at dragons
    Aw thank you buddy :-) Appreciate your kind words and encouragement!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mangrasshopper View Post
    Wow, you are amazing!
    Love your unique style!
    Thank you buddy, and for saying that my style is unique :-) I try to use the same style as my drawings, if that makes any sense? Anyway, I do hope this sculpt won't suck!

Best wishes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, what killer work. Love the Centaur and Minotaur on the first page, especially.

Great style you have, as well. Killer musculature and posing. Thanks for all the photos and info.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Terror View Post
    Wow, what killer work. Love the Centaur on the first page, especially.

Great style you have, as well. Thanks for all the photos and info.
    I'd like to make a female centaur one day.. I find that horse anatomy is very complicated, so I've been doing tonnes of studies. Hopefully it will be easier next time. And yeah, I'm trying to be as thorough as possible with this sculpt. I just hope it will be a successful sculpt!

Thank you for your very kind words friend, and for your encouragement :-)

Best wishes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Updated 12.10.08

I started adding some 'sketchy' details on the face and head. This is only temporary because I just wanted to see which direction I'd like to take this sculpt. Now I'm fairly happy with the way the 'experiement' went, I can now focus on tidying up the surface. As you can see from the photos below, I have taken shots from different views, so that I can see where I've gone wrong, what I can do to improve on it, and to see if it 'works' or not. The camera never lies!

Name:  DSCN0493a.jpg
Views: 3222
Size:  101.0 KB

Name:  DSCN0496a.jpg
Views: 3212
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  DSCN0498a.jpg
Views: 3216
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  DSCN0501a.jpg
Views: 3208
Size:  60.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, just WOW!! I love all your sculptures, but especially the first dragon you posted... can I take him home? lol xD great job, really an inspiration to us all, keep it up and keep it coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for posting your sculpting-in-progress! Your work is very inspirational. Yeah, I love dragons, too.

I noticed that in some of your sketches the dragon-man had a thicker neck and somewhat arched (or almost hunched) upper back, possibly to both support the larger head but also maybe indicating more upper body strength...but your sculpt doesn't show that. Did you decide to go in a different direction from other sketches, like how some of the sketches show smaller hands while others show the larger extended claws that you're doing (but that are more interesting IMO)?

t

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tatiana View Post
    Thanks for posting your sculpting-in-progress! Your work is very inspirational. Yeah, I love dragons, too.

I noticed that in some of your sketches the dragon-man had a thicker neck and somewhat arched (or almost hunched) upper back, possibly to both support the larger head but also maybe indicating more upper body strength...but your sculpt doesn't show that. Did you decide to go in a different direction from other sketches, like how some of the sketches show smaller hands while others show the larger extended claws that you're doing (but that are more interesting IMO)?

t

Hello Tatiana,

Thank you for your very interesting observations.

You are right, some parts of the sculpt *do look* as if they differ from the original designs; inparticular the neck and the hands. As for the neck and upper back, I haven't started building that area just yet. The sketches are really there as a rough guide through the entire process, and I was thinking how a human who has a heavily muscular body would have a short stumpy neck, and how it may look a bit silly for this sculpt so I was inspired about two animals in particular; the cow and wolf, where their necks lean forwards slightly, and how they would be able to move their heads with ease. And as for the hands, I'm not really happy with them at the moment, and it's something that I want a certain size. Not too big and not too small.. in fact, I've changed them twice already! The first time they were kinda huuuuuge and looking at them (right now) they are still too big for my liking. So generally, I'm trying to remain faithful to the above designs but to try and improve on them at the same time. I think that I find it easier to sculpt than it is to draw because you have the advantage of looking at it from all sides and angles, so it's easier to see how something works and how something doesn't. And at this phase, it's very easy to judge on what works and what doesn't.

Anyway, thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to post! You have a very keen eye for observation! And by the way, I just saw some of your sketches, the line work is really neat!

Best wishes my friend

Last edited by dreamsorcerer; October 12th, 2008 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't wait to see your latest sculpture finished. It is already looking amazing. I am preparing to do a sculpture myself. I was wondering, what gauge of aluminum wire do you use to build armatures? Do you use Soft Aluminum or Medium Stiff aluminum?

Thank you in advance. You're an inspiration for sure.

"It is ten percent how you draw, and ninety percent what you draw." - Andrew Loomis

Artastic's Sketchbook

Visit my new username and sketchbook at Thor's Hammer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Artastic View Post
    I can't wait to see your latest sculpture finished. It is already looking amazing. I am preparing to do a sculpture myself. I was wondering, what gauge of aluminum wire do you use to build armatures? Do you use Soft Aluminum or Medium Stiff aluminum?

Thank you in advance. You're an inspiration for sure.
    Thank you mate for taking interest! And yeah, I just wish that I had more time to make this sculpt. And it's great to hear that you're going to make a sculpture, I do hope that you'll post some progress shots along the way. And I'm not sure what gauge it is, but I did use three kinds of wire. The main wire I used was only 4mm thick which was square wire, for extra grip. I then used 1/4 inch thick wire for supporting the feet, knees and lower torso. The reason why I used this is because it stops the armature from bending under the weight of the clay. I then used thin wire to act as *teeth* for the clay to grip onto. So I used both soft-ish and hard aluminum. Here's my suppliers: http://www.tiranti.co.uk/index.asp

I hope this helps?

Best wishes!

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1