Art: Making of 'Nosferatu' Video in HD!(post#715)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Making of 'Nosferatu' Video in HD!(post#715)

Name:  avatar01.jpg
Views: 2955
Size:  112.0 KB

Hello everyone! It's been a loooooong time since I've posted here, I've noticed so many new faces in here and it's good to see that the all time greats are still here too. Over the years I've been working on a big personal project, and I thought i'd show you guys a few of the sketches and sculpts that I've done.

Neko Ryu
    I actually posted this sculpt more than a while ago and at the time I had a welcoming response from everyone here in the forum. Unfortunately I've since lost the all original, 'in progress' images and all the other attachments. I was redesigning my website at the time and I deleted all my images, then, shortly after my computer literally imploded, losing everything. ('Ayo.. I'm tired of using this technology'.) Over the past ten years I've made only 3 other huge dragons all of which I've destroyed mainly due to sheer crapness. With the previous attempt, I took it apart after spending 3 weeks trying to make it look good. But the armature was weak and it just went floppy. But then I tried again using copper and brass tubes, stronger wire and milliput. I made a very strong armature and I then started adding the sculpey, then ever since I've been very careful in what I do so I won't have to mess it up again. I wanted to make a dragon that matched my vision as well as my style so I wanted it to look like a bird and dinosaur, built like a pit bull terrier dog, and prowls like a cat. Below you'll see where I, 'loosely' based my sculpture from a painting that I did called, 'NekoRyu' (Cat Dragon). I poured my heart and soul into this. And one last thing, this made it into New Masters of Fantasy and Spectrum 14!

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 2758
Size:  415.3 KB
    Name:  02.jpg
Views: 2867
Size:  130.1 KB
    Name:  03.jpg
Views: 2779
Size:  375.7 KB

Minotaur
    Yes, my second sculpt, done a little bit quicker that the dragon. However since then, I now look at it and wonder why I did some of the things I did and i really want to make another one. But anyway, the next minotaur attempt will be less bulky and will look less like a scary mutant dog. But here you are anyway!

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 2861
Size:  134.4 KB

Shiro
    Like all sculptures that I create, I always make them over extended periods of time. And I really couldn't tell you how long I spent on this particular piece, but if I estimated the time it would be very roughly in the region of a fortnight and that doesn't include the planning. What I have learnt from sculpting is that planning makes perfect, well.. I don't know about perfect, but certainly makes life easier for me. Anatomy is as always vital, and I'm still learning it now so please excuse me if you do see any mistakes. I've gathered a pile of, 'anatomy for the artist' books, photographs and even video clips of both human and horse anatomy. I feel more confident now but I always find it beneficial to refer to them when I need to. Horses are beautiful creatures, and by lobbing of it's head and sticking on a human torso wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. There are certain muscles around the neck of the horse that when modified slightly by design, it houses the torso of a human being! Well.. kind of.

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 2746
Size:  189.2 KB

Thank you for taking the time to view my work!

Kenshiro Suzuki.

Last edited by dreamsorcerer; March 13th, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
    Check out my scary monster thread!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=109738

Want lotsa sculpture resources? Add some if you want to!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=154013

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dreamsorcerer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW!
    Great sculpting - and I really like your drawing style.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aseyngel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work, great style

Maybe on your dragon you could had a little reflect on eyes with varnish or a point or two of white painting

Anyway the all thing is great
    What did you use for the drool of the centaur?
    What is the address of your site?

Congrat

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pijay-brown For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up First!

Quote Originally Posted by Aseyngel View Post
    WOW!
    Great sculpting - and I really like your drawing style.
    Hey Aseyngel,

Many thanks for your kind words, and it's also encouraging to hear it too. By the way, I really enjoyed looking at your Croc sculpt, it's fantastic.. in fact it's something I'd buy from the shop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pijay-brown View Post
    Excellent work, great style

Maybe on your dragon you could had a little reflect on eyes with varnish or a point or two of white painting

Anyway the all thing is great
    What did you use for the drool of the centaur?
    What is the address of your site?

Congrat
    Heh.. you know what? If you hadn't mentioned it then I wouldn't have noticed myself! So thanks dood. This sin't an excuse or anything but, I really don't think these low res images really do it enough justice. So here's some close ups of the eyes of the dragon (under different lighting and angles):

Name:  ksuzuki-concept04.jpg
Views: 21143
Size:  159.1 KB

Whenever making creature sculpts I always like to use steel ball bearings painted with ink or glossy paint. This particular dragon had black ink and it gives a nice sheen to them.

I did actually make a bird sculpt about 11 years ago and I painted white spots n his eyes but it didn't work because of it being false lighting, so ever since I've just thought about making them look more natural. But thank you for your suggestion anyway!

And I think you meant the drool on the Minotaur right? The big funny ugly dood? I used UHU glue, which is a really crappy glue but is great for creating slime. Once dry it becomes elasticated! So you could easily replicate snot or slime easily. I think next time I'm going to try using a glue gun to get the slobber effect.

Again, thank you for taking the time to look at my work and for your kind words and comments.

All the best!

And by the way, my website needs a serious update (it's been a while) but here you go http://dreamsorcerer.com

Last edited by dreamsorcerer; March 23rd, 2008 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All three are wonderful sculpts. You have a love of fantasy and it translates very well into your work.

I especially enjoyed the way you've chosen to accessorize your sculpts with hair, fur, and even - quite impressively - metal armor. They help to create a OOAK feel. I'm certain the photographs don't do all the details justice.

Of the three, I have to admit the dragon is my least favorite. While it's no less impressive than your other examples (and you've really captured the spirit of the original print it was taken from), it just doesn't punch me in the gut like your Centaur or Minotaur. I do look forward to seeing more.

~KU~

... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KingUnicorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KingUnicorn View Post
    All three are wonderful sculpts. You have a love of fantasy and it translates very well into your work.

I especially enjoyed the way you've chosen to accessorize your sculpts with hair, fur, and even - quite impressively - metal armor. They help to create a OOAK feel. I'm certain the photographs don't do all the details justice.

Of the three, I have to admit the dragon is my least favorite. While it's no less impressive than your other examples (and you've really captured the spirit of the original print it was taken from), it just doesn't punch me in the gut like your Centaur or Minotaur. I do look forward to seeing more.

~KU~
    Thank you for noticing the accessorizing! I remember looking through this doll book and the best thing in it was this Japanese Samurai, with detailed fabric, fine hair and weaponary all presented beautifully in a posh looking box. It made me think about how the little details can do so much to a sculpture. The thing is, I'd have a hard time making a mould from them! But these are purely one offs. And as for the armour, I really have to do better next time. I could've done a way better job.. but I suppose I'm still learning!

And I appreciate your honesty. It's always interesting and helpful to hear what people really think. Someone I know doesn't like any of my sculpts! Mind you, she likes pink and fluffy stuff.

Again thank you for your time, and kind words.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, awesome sculptures!
    Btw, how do you do the metal parts? What are they made of?
    Greets, Matthias

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good grief Kenshiro, these are absolutely brilliant!! I remember seeing your dragon before
    (which is still, by the way, a fantastic piece), but now your Minotaur and Centaur have
    just blown me away!! The concepts for both are just perfect and all the mixed media you've
    added just takes them above and beyond the original sculpt itself. Really amazing job dude.
    I can't wait to see your next one.

Troy

http://www.themcdevittstudio.com
    --------------------------------------------------
    "It seems like once people grow up, they have no idea what's cool." - Calvin, Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons

15. The Following User Says Thank You to troyboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Huraxdax View Post
    Wow, awesome sculptures!
    Btw, how do you do the metal parts? What are they made of?
    Greets, Matthias
    Hey Matthias,

I made the armour seperately from the main body so that when it was finished, I could then take it off when I wanted to. Accessories! So firstly, when I completed the body I took some tin foil and wrapped it on an area where there was going to be armour, then I'd wrap a very fine wire mesh around it covering the area, and then tying it together with a little bit of wire, I then covered the area with a thin layer of super sculpey, blasted it with a heat gun until it was hard, then I began sculpting the armour. After sculpting it, I baked it independantly, sanded it down a little, painted it with metallic paint, when it was dry I 'chipped' little marks into the armour then smeared some black paint on it to make it look a bit worn and battered. Voila!

Many thanks for taking the time to look at my work and for your very kind words!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    Good grief Kenshiro, these are absolutely brilliant!! I remember seeing your dragon before
    (which is still, by the way, a fantastic piece), but now your Minotaur and Centaur have
    just blown me away!! The concepts for both are just perfect and all the mixed media you've
    added just takes them above and beyond the original sculpt itself. Really amazing job dude.
    I can't wait to see your next one.
    Hey Troy,

Whoa maaan..!!.. wonderful words from someone who is a master of the craft!!You don't know this but I've been lurking for a long time and watching every sculpting you make, I've been showing my wife all your stuff too and she's very impressed. Your wedding cake business looks fantastic, the sculpts you've done for your clients.. they're the best I've seen.. I wish that I knew you did that when I got married back in 2004!

I had a long break from sculpting, but hopefully I will get more time soon to do more. (fingers crossed) I've got two sketchbooks: one is purely for sculpture design and anatomy reference (lots of dragons in there) and another one (which is empty) will be purely for illustration purposes.

And I'm really grateful dude.. I am left speechless and I have no idea what to say. 'Thank you' just don't do it justice! But.. 'Thank you.'

And by the way, I do hope you get nominated for your sculpts.. best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wou, i would have bet they were real metal.
    That`s a cool technic, thanks a lot!
    And thanks again for posting your pitures; they`re great!
    Bye, Matthias

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Huraxdax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Huraxdax View Post
    Wou, i would have bet they were real metal.
    That`s a cool technic, thanks a lot!
    And thanks again for posting your pitures; they`re great!
    Bye, Matthias
    I weren't sure if I done a good enough job on trying to make it look like metal, so thank you again Huraxdax!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been way to long DreamersEye, you latest work is fantastic. I can't stop looking at the hair on the centaur, especially on the legs and tail.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dextermcspice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dextermcspice View Post
    It's been way to long DreamersEye, you latest work is fantastic. I can't stop looking at the hair on the centaur, especially on the legs and tail.
    Hello Master dextermcspice!

It's good to see you again dude! many thanks for your kind words, really appreciate it! About a month ago I dropped him on the floor and he had quite few cracks, but I managed to fix him with some milliput! But I tell you, I felt like bloody crying. So that's one of the reasons why he may look ever so slightly different in the bigger image. And as for the hair, I used synthetic hair, hair extensions from the hair dressers.. the hair dressers have this bargain basket for hair that they don't need anymore and it was really cheap. I noticed something that may in fact help you if you ever do decide to use hair on any of your sculpts: I glue the hair using pva glue in very small tight bundles, about 5mm across, then I use a hair dryer to dry the glue. I repeat this process in layers, starting from the bottom then eventually to the top, after it's finshed and completely dry I cut it with scissors and use a hair dryer and hair spray to style it. PLEASE NOTE: Real hair is better to use, it's way easier to do anything you want to style it, and cut it. But obviously it can singe if the hair dryer is too close, but with synthetic hair it clumps up and melts! So if you do use synthetic hair, have the hair dryer on a medium setting and hold it away from the sculpt. I did actually sculpt the hair at first, but it just didn't look right, it didn't have the look that I wanted. Maybe one day I will sculpt the hair though.. it'll be a lot less messy as well!

Anyway thanks again buddy and hope to see more of your work too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, three of them are well done!...it's a long way for me to do that. I wish i had found this hobby earlier. I like centaur the most! Keep up the excellent work!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to murai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by murai View Post
    wow, three of them are well done!...it's a long way for me to do that. I wish i had found this hobby earlier. I like centaur the most! Keep up the excellent work!
    Hey, my first ever ever ever sculpture was of a big snail! I was five years old and that was my discovery of clay. But my biggest discovery is that it really doesn't matter what you do or how you do it as long as you enjoy it. I don't get paid for this, I do this for the labour of love more than anything. But I hope to one day do something special. I'm disabled you see, so it also gives me a great focus and it certainly is theraputic. So it's never too late to do something new, it's nice to be inspired into doing something new, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing your work.

And many thanks for your kind words, it's always good to hear a vote of confidence!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Personal Projects: Dragon, Minotaur, Centaur and another dragon... Again!

Hey guys,

Again, it's been a while!!!! Yeppers.. I seem to go through phases of posting, lurking and then again start posting again. I haven't made a dragon for a while so I thought i'd make another one.

I always said to myself that I'd want to make a female dragon, and originally i wanted to make a long slender looking dragon, not like an oriental dragon though. So after a lots of sketching I started thinking about using a bird's skeleton as a good starting point. Actually I was at this nature centre (kinda like a teeny tiny zoo) and I took a picture of a buzzard's skeleton. I really liked the shape generally so it inspired me to take it further. I realised that all birds have a very large sternum, so i simply made it smaller and conceptualised it further like you can see below. (That kind of explains why it looks a bit like a chicken) Also, they're only very rough sketches because more than anything I wanted to focus more on the anatomy, shape and size. And since it is female, I thought that this would be a real challenge (and it was) I tried to make the features softer, the body more curvier, long horns to kind of represent long hair and to give it a more natural looking pose rather than a threatening manner.

Well, I just I made it look female!

You see I'm disabled, I suffer from M.E and chronic pain, so I find it difficult sometimes to 'do' things, as my hands aren't very steady and my arms are pretty weak, so patience and determination is more than key whenever I approach any sort of project. There were times I had to hold my right wrist with my left hand whilst sculpting! (I think I'll buy a support next time though.) I really enjoy doing this, sculpting is very theraputic for me. And the reason why I'm writing this is that if there any disabled folk out there, I more than encourage you to give it a try, because it takes your mind away for a while to concentrate on something completely different.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to have a look at my projects!

All the best,

Kenny.

Name:  ksuzuki-concepts.jpg
Views: 21138
Size:  266.5 KB
    Name:  ksuzuki-concept02.jpg
Views: 21076
Size:  163.8 KB

Name:  thumb.jpg
Views: 6670
Size:  19.2 KB

Last edited by dreamsorcerer; March 21st, 2008 at 08:50 PM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreamsorcerer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamersEye View Post
    Unfortunately I've since lost the all original, 'in progress' images and all the other attachments.(So please forgive me for posting this sculpt again moderaters, if it's a problem I'll remove it) I was redesigning my website at the time and I deleted all my images, then, shortly after my computer literally imploded, losing everything.
    These are truly amazing pieces. remember thinking so when you originally posted the WIP pics, so I saved the pics.

These yours? ;0)

Making of 'Nosferatu' Video in HD!(post#715)

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Dark Power For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bloody hell!!!!!!! Thank you a million!!! Whoa, you are a super star! Thank you!!! They are the only progress shots that exist in the whole world.. thank you sir!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing work man! This is the stuff a rookie like me need for inspiration=)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Doggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing sculptures, especially the dragons. amazing.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to drobyazko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those are great!!
    what kind of clay do u use?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Huraxdax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
    Amazing work man! This is the stuff a rookie like me need for inspiration=)
    Thank you Doggy it means a lot to me, have you got any stuff of yours that I can see?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by drobyazko View Post
    amazing sculptures, especially the dragons. amazing.
    Wow, thank you for your kind words, it encourages me to do better in my work. I have a realy passion for dragons, I find them fascinating. I just wish that I could've done a better job on them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by emerging View Post
    those are great!!
    what kind of clay do u use?
    Thank you! I use Super Sculpey otherwise known as Polymer Clay. After experimenting on different types of clay this is my choice of clay definately. Although I do very much enjoy using Chavant.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy crap! Your dragons are superior broh! Im really loving the paint job too.

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    holy crap! Your dragons are superior broh! Im really loving the paint job too.
    Wow, thank you.. and coming from you! I've been following your comments on other people's work and looking at your work for a while now and you have some nice stuff there. (Yes I've been a lurkin')

As for the paint job, I must've painted over it like 3-4 times and still not entirely happy with it!

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1