Sketchbook: What the deuce?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What the deuce?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What the deuce?

So my friend convinced me to start a sketchbook after I convinced him to start a sketchbook, yarr!

I have not had an art class since grade 10 so I would really appreciate any critique I receive. I started drawing seriously at the beginning of summer, but haven't been able to draw as much as I wanted to since school resumed.

Again, I appreciate critiques, don't hold back. This is the only opportunity I have to get feedback. I'm glad it comes from the great artists here on CA.

My good friend, Ace is the one who convinced me to start a sketchbook, and I know he would be just as grateful to receive critiques as I am. Check him out, he is a lot better than me!

Thanks for your time, and I hope I can learn a lot from this fine community. And maybe inspire some people with my crappy work!

My favourites: george&guo :: zhuzhu ::
    Ace

Thumbnail~

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FinalKnight; April 21st, 2014 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Thumbnail didn't work
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really wonder why people dont write when they see great stuff (in my opinion). yes, i really like your stuff but please show more.

the first colored studies look good and some of the pencils look great.

for how long have you been drawing, i mean you probably have drawn a lot out of school when you last head art training in 10th grade (but i dont know how long 10th grade has passed for you).

keep it up, even when not many people are posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply N1ck, you've convinced me to update my SB. My scanner is slow and I've been busy so I haven't had time to update - but I have been drawing.

I started drawing seriously around May, 2007. As much as I can, sometimes drawing 7 hours a day.

Anyway, here are some pen drawings that I thought turned out well. A nude for the sake of nude, and some life drawings using my brush pen.
    Name:  scan0065.jpg
Views: 7663
Size:  142.1 KB
    Name:  scan0064.jpg
Views: 7665
Size:  194.8 KB
    Name:  scan0066.jpg
Views: 7570
Size:  59.8 KB
    Name:  scan0067.jpg
Views: 7594
Size:  139.8 KB

And, two more coloured pieces. First one was a speedy speedpaint in painter, only took me about an hour - which I am happy about, I usually draw slow - and the second one is a self-portrait that I am not happy about. That one took around 3 hours in openCanvas and I don't like the colours or the values.
    Name:  Untitled-1.JPG
Views: 7527
Size:  218.2 KB
    Name:  2007-11-1-3d.jpg
Views: 7443
Size:  102.2 KB

Last edited by FinalKnight; November 15th, 2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Rearrange pictures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update, the pendrawings look interesting… maybe a bit too much lines which arent needed. on the pen figure sketches you did a good job describing the form/pose with little strokes.

The digitals look good, but you could definitely work on the skintones--> more studies from ref?

Ahh, and i forgot to say: update your sb more often and soon (about 2 weeks maybe) there will be a lot more people writing in it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to give you some props on a great sketchbook. Yeah, I'm pretty useless with constructive comments. I do wanna see more

my sketches, and rants.

naomiandpoggie.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the support sloppybunny, you two have convinced and inspired me to draw quite a bit over the last two days.

The fruits of my labour:

First one, a soldier. Again this only took me about an hour in Painter, and I like the way it turned out.
    Name:  soldier.jpg
Views: 7332
Size:  169.7 KB

This next one was done with a B&W reference so I had to make up the colours. I don't like it as much as the previous one. Again in painter and took about 3 hours. Tried to add detail and texture, but it didn't work out too well. I'd say one of my biggest weaknesses is detail, so I tried to work on that in this piece. The trench warfare of WW1, Canadian soldiers.
    Name:  trench.JPG
Views: 7538
Size:  222.2 KB

Thought I should also post some analog stuff. Continuing on this world war theme, an African and Russian soldier using Conte pastel pencils.
    Name:  scan0068.jpg
Views: 7396
Size:  181.7 KB

And some life drawings
    Name:  scan0069.jpg
Views: 7193
Size:  147.7 KB

Thanks, and I probably won't be updating for a while, lots of programming assignments and finals coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice new updates. im interested in where you got your reference from. maybe you could post a link if its online, that would be great.

btw. im looking forward to new updates, your stuff is interesting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey N1ck, I mostly get my references from Google.

The world war one picture is from http://www.worldwaronecolorphotos.com/ & a good resource is also: http://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/ww2incolor

My nude women mostly come from http://www.kindgirls.com/

Sorry for my late reply, I didn't feel justified in posting and bumping my sketchbook without having some drawings, which leads to...

Some pencil drawings. I am bad with all analog mediums. When I started drawing, I started digitally, and am much more comfortable with that. But, I have to practice sometime!

Name:  scan0070.jpg
Views: 7160
Size:  153.2 KB
    Name:  scan0073.jpg
Views: 7102
Size:  92.6 KB

Also the required life drawing:

Name:  scan0072.jpg
Views: 7021
Size:  74.4 KB

Two digital speedpaints. A little over an hour each. First one was in Painter using the Sargent paintbrush (first time I've used it, very weird, but nice):

Name:  avril.jpg
Views: 6949
Size:  71.0 KB

And the second one, in OC:

Name:  2007-12-1-0.jpg
Views: 6918
Size:  74.6 KB

I guess I should also start posting some stuff from my imagination. When I try to draw from my imagination using pencil it turns out like crap. When I draw digitally from my imagination the results are better crap (Yay for ctrl+z) in OC:

Name:  2007-11-20-1.jpg
Views: 6894
Size:  56.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovely loose work, wish I could do that haha, Nice moods with the digital but Those sketches from your first post are awesome too, not much to crit, so keep drawing I really dig this...

Good luck, see ya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great start to your SB!!

I'd like to see you tighten up some of those paintings

the life sketches are great

post more!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ghoulio and Newbs,

Both of your guys' work is amazing. I am always envious of those who can draw with emotion and style all from imagination.

Newbs, I wish I could tighten up my paintings too. I have never really drawn anything with detail, so I don't even know how to do it! Also, I don't have the time to dedicate to tinkering with details. The only thing I can manage is some speedpaints.

But, for my next drawing I'll try to spend some more time on it and add some detail and some more smoothness.

Meanwhile, some self-referenced-eyeballs, some life drawings, and some imagination stuff all on one page:
    Name:  scan0074.jpg
Views: 6795
Size:  78.5 KB
    life:
    Name:  scan0075.jpg
Views: 6892
Size:  88.4 KB

And two more speedpaints without using ctrl+z - I use it too much - in Painter about 2 hours for the first one, 1.5 for the second one.
    Both are from the same photoshoot over at kindgirls.com. This girl has amazing hair!
    Name:  lidiya.jpg
Views: 12003
Size:  145.9 KB
    Name:  lidiya2.JPG
Views: 7938
Size:  133.9 KB

I know these aren't detailed. I drew them before reading Newbs comment, next post I'll have some detailed stuff (to the best of my ability)!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool looking art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely paintings. The last update has nice speedpaints. I will take a look at that site. ^__^

Looking good mate. Keep on posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    joaKimArt, kindgirls.com is a great reference site, they usually don't airbrush (as far as I can tell) their models, and some of the pictures have good lighting with shadows. Unlike those perfectly smooth models you see in magazine ads.

Well, I hated my last self-portrait so much that I decided to do another one. I got a great critique from my friend that my drawing was too plasticy and saturated. I realized I've been making a fatal mistake in all of my drawings. I was incorporating the value of the highlight into the form, rather than adding it on-top as a detail!

This first drawing was oversaturated and plasticy like all of my drawings. I tried to fix it after the fact, but wasn't very successful. About 3.5 hours, Painter (tried to add detail).
    Name:  Untitled-4.jpg
Views: 6617
Size:  55.6 KB

So in this second one, with my newfound knowledge I tried to resolve the problem. About 1.5 hours in Painter.
    Name:  Untitled-2.JPG
Views: 6615
Size:  95.7 KB

And I also got my first moleskine! Now I can call myself a real (gullible) artist. 20 bucks, that's 1/2 a cent per square inch. I'm gonna squeeze every square inch out'ta it!
    Name:  scan0076.jpg
Views: 6629
Size:  176.6 KB

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FinalKnight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice sb. watch your proportions though. good stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    muy bueno tu color trabajado por planos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like the speedpaints...your 'halloween colors' girl is pretty awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey FinalKnight,

Just wanted to swing by and return the favor for the nice critique you gave me. I think you got a pretty solid start to your sketchbook. I especially like that last page of studies. I think you got a pretty good grasp on anatomy, itleast far better then me. If your looking for good refs though and different poses you might want to check this out- http://www.posemaniacs.com/blog/pose/

In terms of your digital paintings I think you can push you values alittle more. Try converting the refs you use into grayscale and work in grayscale more to get that down. Just do more studies like the first image you posted.

In anycase keep up the good work. This is a strong start!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your figure work. The poses are interesting and your proportions look pretty dead on. I would like to see you put more detail in the eyes like adding pupils as having it as is makes it a bit alien at times.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your face studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the WWI pictures, and the newest face studies are great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Doesn't have a point of view, knows not where he's going to.

Trashy: Thanks for the critique. I definitely need to work on my values. It's my next highest priority after I learn how to use this thing they call a pencil. The first image I posted was the piece I spent the most time on, about 4 hours, which is likely why it is the best looking.

Ito Saith Webb: Thanks for the comment on the eyes! The eyes are the most important part of the face, so I will spend more time rendering them out! As for the pupil-less eyes, I was kind of aiming for the alien look.

Thanks everyone else for the support.

Well I haven't updated in a while, but I've probably been drawing a lot more than any other time in my life (but still not enough!) I am also reading all of your comments, so thank you for that.

Time for a larger batch of pictures. I have realized I can't draw worth a damn, and I hope to remedy this by doing lots and lots of studies...

Which brings me to Burne Hogarth, starting to love his work, almost finished drawing every single line in his Dynamic Figure Drawing book:
    Name:  scan0078.jpg
Views: 7530
Size:  109.4 KB
    Name:  scan0079.jpg
Views: 6616
Size:  156.8 KB
    Name:  scan0080.jpg
Views: 7093
Size:  117.9 KB
    Name:  scan0081.jpg
Views: 6427
Size:  103.2 KB
    Name:  scan0082.jpg
Views: 6308
Size:  112.9 KB
    Name:  scan0083.jpg
Views: 6273
Size:  137.5 KB
    Name:  scan0084.jpg
Views: 6465
Size:  128.3 KB
    Name:  scan0085.jpg
Views: 6215
Size:  150.8 KB
    Name:  scan0086.jpg
Views: 6189
Size:  91.4 KB
    Name:  scan0087.jpg
Views: 6187
Size:  132.1 KB
    Those were just a few of the drawings. Don't feel like scanning them all. I think I have one of the slowest scanners in the world.

Also been doing quite a bit of life drawing. My SkyTrain sketches and University sketches:
    Name:  scan0088.jpg
Views: 6155
Size:  169.2 KB
    Name:  scan0089.jpg
Views: 6115
Size:  157.0 KB

And something from my imagination:
    Name:  scan0091.jpg
Views: 6100
Size:  178.7 KB

Something I scribbled while waiting for all these things to scan!
    Name:  scan0090.jpg
Views: 6034
Size:  26.5 KB

And a digital self-portrait because I hate all the ones I've done so far, and this is no exception...
    Name:  bwsp2.JPG
Views: 6061
Size:  58.3 KB

A portrait I did of my friend in class. It's come to the point where I don't listen in class anymore and spend most of my time drawing.
    Name:  gord.JPG
Views: 6019
Size:  92.2 KB

Next update I'll be finished this Hogarth book so I hope I can do some fully rendered drawings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the sheet of eyes. They're so hard to get right, it's good that just looking at that you can see how you progressed, even that quickly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment resonanteye. Hopefully I can keep getting better at a fast pace, but it seems like my progression is slowing.

Only one comment for all that junk! I guess I know what the problem is. I need more hot chicks!

Sargent brush in Painter with android styling in the background - about 4 hours:
    Name:  ale.jpg
Views: 6090
Size:  80.5 KB
    3.5 hr:
    Name:  glow2low.JPG
Views: 5964
Size:  145.2 KB

Trying a different style. Figures were drawn with only 1 line:
    Name:  Scan9.jpg
Views: 5944
Size:  101.1 KB

Trying to learn how to hatch/shade:
    Name:  Scan10.jpg
Views: 5922
Size:  104.1 KB

Trying to stick people into environments (which I am horrible at):
    Name:  Scan7.jpg
Views: 5935
Size:  115.5 KB
    Name:  Scan8.jpg
Views: 5898
Size:  134.6 KB

Was really foggy and I couldn't see this figures very well so I just did silhouettes:
    Name:  scan0092.jpg
Views: 5889
Size:  190.4 KB

Finally, went to my very first, second and third life drawing sessions, these are from the second and third:
    Name:  Scan1.jpg
Views: 5860
Size:  42.6 KB
    Name:  Scan2.jpg
Views: 5844
Size:  45.5 KB
    Name:  Scan3.jpg
Views: 5832
Size:  51.9 KB
    Name:  Scan4.jpg
Views: 5816
Size:  52.5 KB
    Name:  Scan5.jpg
Views: 5811
Size:  92.0 KB
    Name:  Scan6.jpg
Views: 5777
Size:  32.9 KB

(Sorry they are cut off, scanner isn't big enough)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Boy, your gonna carry that weight...

Very cool band I just found out about:
    http://www.stage6.com/user/tedmelhui...i---Blue-Honey
    Or youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT9GWLypu38

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 5735
Size:  51.7 KB
    Name:  l 006.jpg
Views: 5736
Size:  45.6 KB
    Name:  l 007.jpg
Views: 5756
Size:  71.4 KB

Pencil is from imagination:
    Name:  Scan11.jpg
Views: 5744
Size:  93.2 KB
    Name:  Scan12.jpg
Views: 5716
Size:  114.2 KB
    Name:  Scan13.jpg
Views: 5667
Size:  105.7 KB

OC imagination stuff:
    Name:  2008-2-2-0.jpg
Views: 5646
Size:  27.0 KB
    Name:  2008-2-3-0.jpg
Views: 5655
Size:  34.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice sketchbook. I really like the looseness of the color pieces. As you start adding detail, try not to lose the energy of the loose strokes. That Sargent brush is really working well for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like where this sketchbook is going mate I like the looseness of the paintings too. those sketches of people there you do is really neat

my sketches, and rants.

naomiandpoggie.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Biiilllly Sheeears!

Name:  scan0097.jpg
Views: 5601
Size:  66.0 KB
    Name:  scan0096.jpg
Views: 5589
Size:  62.1 KB
    Name:  scan0095.jpg
Views: 5573
Size:  56.7 KB

Work on those values, Mister!

Name:  noicc.jpg
Views: 5569
Size:  43.2 KB
    Name:  valfigure.jpg
Views: 5554
Size:  32.5 KB

Imagination.
    Name:  2008-2-10-1.jpg
Views: 5546
Size:  32.3 KB
    Name:  2008-2-10-2.jpg
Views: 5533
Size:  34.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man you stuff is really cool!! love the color paintings. how do you start them? can you do a quick demo?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Baby you're a rich man too

Heya MeTaL-Mike,

I am probably the last person who should be giving advice on colour (or value in general). I just recently delved into the world of colour and value. I almost exclusively work with line and rarely try my hand at full renderings including coloured or b&w ones.
    However, I'll try to explain my process using some gif's.

1st one:
    Name:  2008-2-18-9.gif
Views: 5539
Size:  208.7 KBName:  2008-2-18-16.jpg
Views: 5493
Size:  48.4 KB
    1. Always find a good reference picture. I usually go with something that catches my eye. If I can find a naturally lit picture with a strong light source and without any photochopping, I will use that. Although even better than reference, is from life if you can find something that interests you.

2. I start by filling my canvas with a 50-70% value.

3. After that I usually do the darkest darks, but I only make them around 90% to give me some wiggle room. These darks that I put in - as far as I can tell - are very saturated.

4. In this particular one there were not very many darks on the figure so I decided to do the lightest lights first... (but I didn't go anywhere near white)

5. Now is the complicated part. When I choose my initial colour - and I am always waaaaaaay off with this - I try to get the correct saturation, temperature and value for the dark and light side. As I said, I fail miserably at getting a close relationship, so I have a lot of tinkering to do.

6. After I get all my quick initial colours in, I focus in on a smaller scale. Try to look for areas that share a same general value and colour. For each of these smaller areas, I consciously think: "Is this the right value (no? Okay is it brighter or darker). Is this the right temperature (no? Okay is it redder, or yellower). Is this the right saturation (no? Okay is it more saturated, or less saturated)." It is VERY important to make sure you get the value right, temperature and saturation are secondary.

I have also found that unless your value is right, there will be no way you can get the right colour. If at any time you are struggling very hard and you just can't seem to nail the colour, then without a doubt your values are wrong.

7. I quit when I get frustrated which is probably why I have no finished stuff :].

Name:  portmancolour.gif
Views: 5504
Size:  243.7 KBName:  portmancolour copy.jpg
Views: 5458
Size:  40.3 KB

Overview:
    Start with a dark gray canvas.
    Then the darkest darks :: very saturated (but don't make them black!)
    Then block in some colours.
    Then tinker and keep in mind value, saturation, value, temperature, and value. (Make sure you get that value right!)

Name:  scan0098.jpg
Views: 5483
Size:  104.4 KB

If anyone has any critiques on my process I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by FinalKnight; February 23rd, 2008 at 09:47 PM.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 64