Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What the deuce?

Thanks
    joaKimArt, kindgirls.com is a great reference site, they usually don't airbrush (as far as I can tell) their models, and some of the pictures have good lighting with shadows. Unlike those perfectly smooth models you see in magazine ads.

Well, I hated my last self-portrait so much that I decided to do another one. I got a great critique from my friend that my drawing was too plasticy and saturated. I realized I've been making a fatal mistake in all of my drawings. I was incorporating the value of the highlight into the form, rather than adding it on-top as a detail!

This first drawing was oversaturated and plasticy like all of my drawings. I tried to fix it after the fact, but wasn't very successful. About 3.5 hours, Painter (tried to add detail).
    Attachment 259191

So in this second one, with my newfound knowledge I tried to resolve the problem. About 1.5 hours in Painter.
    Attachment 259192

And I also got my first moleskine! Now I can call myself a real (gullible) artist. 20 bucks, that's 1/2 a cent per square inch. I'm gonna squeeze every square inch out'ta it!
    Attachment 259193
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FinalKnight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    very nice sb. watch your proportions though. good stuff.

Thanks
    muy bueno tu color trabajado por planos

Thanks
    Like the speedpaints...your 'halloween colors' girl is pretty awesome.

Thanks
    Hey FinalKnight,

Just wanted to swing by and return the favor for the nice critique you gave me. I think you got a pretty solid start to your sketchbook. I especially like that last page of studies. I think you got a pretty good grasp on anatomy, itleast far better then me. If your looking for good refs though and different poses you might want to check this out- http://www.posemaniacs.com/blog/pose/

In terms of your digital paintings I think you can push you values alittle more. Try converting the refs you use into grayscale and work in grayscale more to get that down. Just do more studies like the first image you posted.

In anycase keep up the good work. This is a strong start!

Thanks
    I really like your figure work. The poses are interesting and your proportions look pretty dead on. I would like to see you put more detail in the eyes like adding pupils as having it as is makes it a bit alien at times.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Love your face studies.

Thanks
    I love the WWI pictures, and the newest face studies are great.

Thanks

Doesn't have a point of view, knows not where he's going to.

Trashy: Thanks for the critique. I definitely need to work on my values. It's my next highest priority after I learn how to use this thing they call a pencil. The first image I posted was the piece I spent the most time on, about 4 hours, which is likely why it is the best looking.

Ito Saith Webb: Thanks for the comment on the eyes! The eyes are the most important part of the face, so I will spend more time rendering them out! As for the pupil-less eyes, I was kind of aiming for the alien look.

Thanks everyone else for the support.

Well I haven't updated in a while, but I've probably been drawing a lot more than any other time in my life (but still not enough!) I am also reading all of your comments, so thank you for that.

Time for a larger batch of pictures. I have realized I can't draw worth a damn, and I hope to remedy this by doing lots and lots of studies...

Which brings me to Burne Hogarth, starting to love his work, almost finished drawing every single line in his Dynamic Figure Drawing book:
    Attachment 280640
    Attachment 280641
    Attachment 280642
    Attachment 280643
    Attachment 280644
    Attachment 280645
    Attachment 280646
    Attachment 280647
    Attachment 280648
    Attachment 280649
    Those were just a few of the drawings. Don't feel like scanning them all. I think I have one of the slowest scanners in the world.

Also been doing quite a bit of life drawing. My SkyTrain sketches and University sketches:
    Attachment 280650
    Attachment 280651

And something from my imagination:
    Attachment 280653

Something I scribbled while waiting for all these things to scan!
    Attachment 280652

And a digital self-portrait because I hate all the ones I've done so far, and this is no exception...
    Attachment 280655

A portrait I did of my friend in class. It's come to the point where I don't listen in class anymore and spend most of my time drawing.
    Attachment 280654

Next update I'll be finished this Hogarth book so I hope I can do some fully rendered drawings!

Thanks
    I really like the sheet of eyes. They're so hard to get right, it's good that just looking at that you can see how you progressed, even that quickly.

Thanks
    Thanks for the comment resonanteye. Hopefully I can keep getting better at a fast pace, but it seems like my progression is slowing.

Only one comment for all that junk! I guess I know what the problem is. I need more hot chicks!

Sargent brush in Painter with android styling in the background - about 4 hours:
    Attachment 287658
    3.5 hr:
    Attachment 287660

Trying a different style. Figures were drawn with only 1 line:
    Attachment 287664

Trying to learn how to hatch/shade:
    Attachment 287665

Trying to stick people into environments (which I am horrible at):
    Attachment 287662
    Attachment 287663

Was really foggy and I couldn't see this figures very well so I just did silhouettes:
    Attachment 287667

Finally, went to my very first, second and third life drawing sessions, these are from the second and third:
    Attachment 287668
    Attachment 287669
    Attachment 287670
    Attachment 287671
    Attachment 287672
    Attachment 287673

(Sorry they are cut off, scanner isn't big enough)

Thanks

Thanks
    Very nice sketchbook. I really like the looseness of the color pieces. As you start adding detail, try not to lose the energy of the loose strokes. That Sargent brush is really working well for you.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast