Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What the deuce?

Thanks

What the deuce?

So my friend convinced me to start a sketchbook after I convinced him to start a sketchbook, yarr!

I have not had an art class since grade 10 so I would really appreciate any critique I receive. I started drawing seriously at the beginning of summer, but haven't been able to draw as much as I wanted to since school resumed.

Again, I appreciate critiques, don't hold back. This is the only opportunity I have to get feedback. I'm glad it comes from the great artists here on CA.

My good friend, Ace is the one who convinced me to start a sketchbook, and I know he would be just as grateful to receive critiques as I am. Check him out, he is a lot better than me!

Thanks for your time, and I hope I can learn a lot from this fine community. And maybe inspire some people with my crappy work!

My favourites: george&guo :: zhuzhu ::
    Ace

Thumbnail~

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FinalKnight; April 21st, 2014 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Thumbnail didn't work
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I really wonder why people dont write when they see great stuff (in my opinion). yes, i really like your stuff but please show more.

the first colored studies look good and some of the pencils look great.

for how long have you been drawing, i mean you probably have drawn a lot out of school when you last head art training in 10th grade (but i dont know how long 10th grade has passed for you).

keep it up, even when not many people are posting.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply N1ck, you've convinced me to update my SB. My scanner is slow and I've been busy so I haven't had time to update - but I have been drawing.

I started drawing seriously around May, 2007. As much as I can, sometimes drawing 7 hours a day.

Anyway, here are some pen drawings that I thought turned out well. A nude for the sake of nude, and some life drawings using my brush pen.
    Name:  scan0065.jpg
Views: 8031
Size:  142.1 KB
    Name:  scan0064.jpg
Views: 8041
Size:  194.8 KB
    Name:  scan0066.jpg
Views: 7932
Size:  59.8 KB
    Name:  scan0067.jpg
Views: 7971
Size:  139.8 KB

And, two more coloured pieces. First one was a speedy speedpaint in painter, only took me about an hour - which I am happy about, I usually draw slow - and the second one is a self-portrait that I am not happy about. That one took around 3 hours in openCanvas and I don't like the colours or the values.
    Name:  Untitled-1.JPG
Views: 7864
Size:  218.2 KB
    Name:  2007-11-1-3d.jpg
Views: 7784
Size:  102.2 KB

Last edited by FinalKnight; November 15th, 2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Rearrange pictures

Thanks
    nice update, the pendrawings look interesting… maybe a bit too much lines which arent needed. on the pen figure sketches you did a good job describing the form/pose with little strokes.

The digitals look good, but you could definitely work on the skintones--> more studies from ref?

Ahh, and i forgot to say: update your sb more often and soon (about 2 weeks maybe) there will be a lot more people writing in it

Thanks
    I want to give you some props on a great sketchbook. Yeah, I'm pretty useless with constructive comments. I do wanna see more

my sketches, and rants.

naomiandpoggie.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Thanks for the support sloppybunny, you two have convinced and inspired me to draw quite a bit over the last two days.

The fruits of my labour:

First one, a soldier. Again this only took me about an hour in Painter, and I like the way it turned out.
    Name:  soldier.jpg
Views: 7653
Size:  169.7 KB

This next one was done with a B&W reference so I had to make up the colours. I don't like it as much as the previous one. Again in painter and took about 3 hours. Tried to add detail and texture, but it didn't work out too well. I'd say one of my biggest weaknesses is detail, so I tried to work on that in this piece. The trench warfare of WW1, Canadian soldiers.
    Name:  trench.JPG
Views: 8016
Size:  222.2 KB

Thought I should also post some analog stuff. Continuing on this world war theme, an African and Russian soldier using Conte pastel pencils.
    Name:  scan0068.jpg
Views: 7770
Size:  181.7 KB

And some life drawings
    Name:  scan0069.jpg
Views: 7510
Size:  147.7 KB

Thanks, and I probably won't be updating for a while, lots of programming assignments and finals coming soon.

Thanks
    very nice new updates. im interested in where you got your reference from. maybe you could post a link if its online, that would be great.

btw. im looking forward to new updates, your stuff is interesting

Thanks
    Hey N1ck, I mostly get my references from Google.

The world war one picture is from http://www.worldwaronecolorphotos.com/ & a good resource is also: http://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/ww2incolor

My nude women mostly come from http://www.kindgirls.com/

Sorry for my late reply, I didn't feel justified in posting and bumping my sketchbook without having some drawings, which leads to...

Some pencil drawings. I am bad with all analog mediums. When I started drawing, I started digitally, and am much more comfortable with that. But, I have to practice sometime!

Name:  scan0070.jpg
Views: 7510
Size:  153.2 KB
    Name:  scan0073.jpg
Views: 7453
Size:  92.6 KB

Also the required life drawing:

Name:  scan0072.jpg
Views: 7342
Size:  74.4 KB

Two digital speedpaints. A little over an hour each. First one was in Painter using the Sargent paintbrush (first time I've used it, very weird, but nice):

Name:  avril.jpg
Views: 7263
Size:  71.0 KB

And the second one, in OC:

Name:  2007-12-1-0.jpg
Views: 7235
Size:  74.6 KB

I guess I should also start posting some stuff from my imagination. When I try to draw from my imagination using pencil it turns out like crap. When I draw digitally from my imagination the results are better crap (Yay for ctrl+z) in OC:

Name:  2007-11-20-1.jpg
Views: 7220
Size:  56.2 KB

Thanks
    lovely loose work, wish I could do that haha, Nice moods with the digital but Those sketches from your first post are awesome too, not much to crit, so keep drawing I really dig this...

Good luck, see ya

Thanks
    great start to your SB!!

I'd like to see you tighten up some of those paintings

the life sketches are great

post more!!

Thanks
    Hey ghoulio and Newbs,

Both of your guys' work is amazing. I am always envious of those who can draw with emotion and style all from imagination.

Newbs, I wish I could tighten up my paintings too. I have never really drawn anything with detail, so I don't even know how to do it! Also, I don't have the time to dedicate to tinkering with details. The only thing I can manage is some speedpaints.

But, for my next drawing I'll try to spend some more time on it and add some detail and some more smoothness.

Meanwhile, some self-referenced-eyeballs, some life drawings, and some imagination stuff all on one page:
    Name:  scan0074.jpg
Views: 7100
Size:  78.5 KB
    life:
    Name:  scan0075.jpg
Views: 7203
Size:  88.4 KB

And two more speedpaints without using ctrl+z - I use it too much - in Painter about 2 hours for the first one, 1.5 for the second one.
    Both are from the same photoshoot over at kindgirls.com. This girl has amazing hair!
    Name:  lidiya.jpg
Views: 14667
Size:  145.9 KB
    Name:  lidiya2.JPG
Views: 8558
Size:  133.9 KB

I know these aren't detailed. I drew them before reading Newbs comment, next post I'll have some detailed stuff (to the best of my ability)!

Thanks
    Cool looking art.

Thanks
    Lovely paintings. The last update has nice speedpaints. I will take a look at that site. ^__^

Looking good mate. Keep on posting.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6